7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
April 12, 2021, 9:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Beautyman has had a very good season for Sutton from midfield. 11 goals too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2021, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Beautyman has had a very good season for Sutton from midfield. 11 goals too.

Why would he sign for us? Based upon how they’ve progressed if they don’t take our place in the EFL they’ll be a rival for promotion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2021, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

It should be a given that we be challenging for the play off in that league ( I know it’s not). We need to do something we’ve not done for forty years though and win a league. Play offs are too much of a lottery.

Don’t disagree but let’s not kid ourselves there will have to be some serious changes for us to be in a position we’re we can consider ourselves a side that could win that league.

I think we’d be deluded to think that top 6 won’t be a big challenge.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
jamesgtfc
April 12, 2021, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

Assuming the worst happens we should have one of the best playing budgets in the Conference.

There will be only two clubs on full EFL parachute payments and one will be us.

I doubt it. £500k needs paying to Fenty by 1878 and I assume a lot of contracts will be getting paid up too.

Hopefully things go smoothly with easing out of lockdown and we can have capacity crowds in August because that will help massively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
Son of Cod
April 15, 2021, 3:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I have seen Hurst taking in Chesterfield games in the National League so his knowledge will be there. I take the point about a Disley or Pearson following him for 5 years of stability but I bet Coke stays on for at least 12 months.

We need stability and not another roll of the dice. Hurst is a safe pair of hands and I hope that when he leaves this club, we build on his solid foundations.

Quoted from ginnywings

Disagree totally with this. His focus will be on players at that level, even when he was at Ipswich. He will know plenty of players from League 1 down I would guess. He will also know the up and coming players from the top leagues, who we can get on loan, or pick up if they are released.

Fair enough, I hope you're both right and I'm wrong. Two things I would say here though...

Is Coke good enough? He puts a shift in and is aggressive which is great, but I'm not convinced.

And also regarding the Ipswich/League 1 down comment, I'd fully expect him to have a good knowledge of L1/L2 players but I was talking about Conference down really. If he has still got good connections and knows who he wants then great, but I'm not sure if he will. He didn't try to tap into the non-league market at Ipswich or Shrewsbury as far as I can remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
toontown
April 15, 2021, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
In my opinion Coke is not good enough no. Yes he was an improvement on what we had but that reflects on how dreadful we were.

Remember this, last time we were in the conference we had Disley, was we ever good enough to threaten for the title? No. Was Disley better than anything we have now? Yes.

With Disley and clay and Nolan as the 3 competing for the central 2 positions, we weren't good enough. Sobering thought.

Our aim has to be for the title, and if we fall short we get a second bite of the cherry via playoffs.

We need to aim for a central pairing better than Disley and clay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Poojah
April 15, 2021, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,671
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from toontown
In my opinion Coke is not good enough no. Yes he was an improvement on what we had but that reflects on how dreadful we were.

Remember this, last time we were in the conference we had Disley, was we ever good enough to threaten for the title? No. Was Disley better than anything we have now? Yes.

With Disley and clay and Nolan as the 3 competing for the central 2 positions, we weren't good enough. Sobering thought.

Our aim has to be for the title, and if we fall short we get a second bite of the cherry via playoffs.

We need to aim for a central pairing better than Disley and clay.

For context, Disley had just made 29 appearances in a Shrewsbury side that had just missed out on automatic promotion from League Two by a single point. That's a reminder of what a brilliant signing he was even before he had gone on to become such a great servant to the club, and how lucky we were to get him.

I don't think we've made a central midfield signing of that calibre, or anything close, since we got back in the league.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
RichMariner
April 15, 2021, 5:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
I think Disley broke his ankle in his first season at Shrewsbury and barely played a game. He got more game time in his second season there and I reckon that injury set him back enough to bring him onto our radar.

Otherwise he was a League 2 player at the very least, and probably should've been playing L1.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
Bignic69
April 15, 2021, 6:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

He also signed Summerfield and that other dud from York who had Ben relegated. It showed.

Nowt wrong with Summerfield in my opinion, not technically great but there wasn't a blade of grass he didn't cover and always stuck a foot in.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
Grantley
April 15, 2021, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
I’m sick of this claim that we never challenged for the title. People seem to forget we were a point off Barnet going into Easter Weekend before, in fairness, blowing it.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players to Win the Conference

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.