ginnywings
April 12, 2021, 4:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Son of Cod

I've defended PH quite a lot and think he did a very good job the first time round. However, I don't agree with this idea that he'll be good in the non-league transfer market a second time around simply because he was before. He was in that world as one of the up and coming managers back when we appointed him. There's no way his finger will be on the pulse as much as it was back then, with regards to non-league players. He's not going to bring a Macca and a Pearson in with him from an old club to form a 5+ season long solid base with and I highly doubt that he's going to strike gold by signing a Disley as one of his first CMs and a Hearn as one of his first strikers.

Disagree totally with this. His focus will be on players at that level, even when he was at Ipswich. He will know plenty of players from League 1 down I would guess. He will also know the up and coming players from the top leagues, who we can get on loan, or pick up if they are released.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
grimsby pete
April 12, 2021, 4:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Interesting to see what our budget will be under the new administration

At least 200,000K more than it would have been if Fenty was still in charge

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
forza ivano
April 12, 2021, 4:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,271
Gold Stars: 266
A goalscorer plus a clever billy clarke type player. Some left footed players for left midfield/wing. Hewitt and menayese at the back. The equivalent of coke n matete in midfield, and yes some conference players who have the winning mentality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
TonySmith
April 12, 2021, 4:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
  I would totally trust Paul Hurst to put together a squad fully capable of getting promoted from the National League or competing at the right end of League Two IF he is given the budget to entice players who would otherwise go somewhere else. Even then, no one can guarantee promotion as that requires an element of luck too ( especially as regards avoiding injuries to key players ). I bet he's already thinking about names we have never heard of, whichever league we are in next season. Hopefully he will be able to keep the players from the current squad that he wants too. At the end of the day, money talks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2021, 4:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Not sure who, but wide players that can get in behind non league full backs, 2 x strikers 1 tall one 1 fox in the box. A CM who can arrive in the box at the right time like Dis used to.

Personally I'd try and get Shaun Pearson back as we'll need someone with real experience and knowledge about that league who is part of the playing staff.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
MNH1972
April 12, 2021, 4:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +215
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from forza ivano
A goalscorer plus a clever billy clarke type player. Some left footed players for left midfield/wing. Hewitt and menayese at the back. The equivalent of coke n matete in midfield, and yes some conference players who have the winning mentality

Padraig Amond would be my choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
golfer
April 12, 2021, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

He also signed Summerfield and that other dud from York who had Ben relegated. It showed.

Leave Summerfield alone - Bully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
hampshiremariner
April 12, 2021, 5:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Six clubs in the play-offs in the National League and one automatic promotion. If we cannot gather a squad to get into the play-offs (at least) I would be amazed.

However, the problems in the club are deep seated and need to be sorted out. If there is unrest behind the scenes them it is usually reflected on the pitch.

Paul Hurst seems to have the trust of the new owners and that is a good starting point for him to be allowed to rebuild the team.

The club made the sports section of the Observer on Sunday and I have never known that before. But it was for all the wrong reasons and reflected badly on this once greatly respected club. The guy who did the head butting should not play for this club again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
Theimperialcoroner
April 12, 2021, 8:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Six clubs in the play-offs in the National League and one automatic promotion. If we cannot gather a squad to get into the play-offs (at least) I would be amazed.

However, the problems in the club are deep seated and need to be sorted out. If there is unrest behind the scenes them it is usually reflected on the pitch.

Paul Hurst seems to have the trust of the new owners and that is a good starting point for him to be allowed to rebuild the team.

The club made the sports section of the Observer on Sunday and I have never known that before. But it was for all the wrong reasons and reflected badly on this once greatly respected club. The guy who did the head butting should not play for this club again.

It should be a given that we be challenging for the play off in that league ( I know it’s not). We need to do something we’ve not done for forty years though and win a league. Play offs are too much of a lottery.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
promotion plaice
April 12, 2021, 8:45pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200

Assuming the worst happens we should have one of the best playing budgets in the Conference.

There will be only two clubs on full EFL parachute payments and one will be us.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players to Win the Conference

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.