29 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
March 20, 2021, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
However you try to sugar coat it Hursts not changed our fortunes, the 2 best players today were Holloway signings and what makes it worse is they won't start again
Williams and Spokes showed passion and ability in that second half whilst Payne needs booting out this club, awful signing imo.
Really annoyed me how he hung Williams out to dry about missing that header yet didn't berate LJL for missing from 1 yard out last week.
Today I saw certain players giving their all but it's all too little too late.
I can even bring myself to talk about Waterfall.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 287
Tommy
March 20, 2021, 10:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
However you try to sugar coat it Hursts not changed our fortunes, the 2 best players today were Holloway signings and what makes it worse is they won't start again
Williams and Spokes showed passion and ability in that second half whilst Payne needs booting out this club, awful signing imo.
Really annoyed me how he hung Williams out to dry about missing that header yet didn't berate LJL for missing from 1 yard out last week.
Today I saw certain players giving their all but it's all too little too late.
I can even bring myself to talk about Waterfall.....

Hardly the way to go about building squad harmony is it, when one player gets such blatant and public different treatment, for what was actually a less straight-forward chance than LJL's.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 287
DB
March 21, 2021, 2:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Another abysmal display from town. The first half was dire and when the goal went in they got worse, no fighting spirit, just the same crap. Second half one or two good points but far too little effort too late in the game, It was Mansfield's game to win and they didn't, thank goodness.

Of the 4 substituted 3 were Hurst's men, replaced by 4 of Holloway's men. Not defending Holloway in any sense but shows how bad Hurst is when he takes his own signings off! Let's not forget that these signings were to replace the mess Hurst said he inherited.

Both Hurst and Holloway did not have a preseason so a comparison is relatively easy and both brought in their own teams, in other words both had a fresh start to the respective periods in charge.

Holloway  P14, W4, D3, L7 Goals 13 Pts 15
Hurst   P14, W1, D5, L8 Goals 8 Pts 8

Holloway's teams was very poor, the Tranmere defeat 5 - 0 was worse than bad.
Hurst was brought in to steady the ship. replace the mess caused by Holloway. He hasn't. If anything we have now gone backwards and downwards. To replace his chosen men in a game with Holloways shows just how bad Hurst's judgement was in January. His men by Hurst's own actions were not better, not the same but worse than Holloways.

This is not in way heaping any praise on Holloway but shows another bad judgement by Fenty bringing Hurst in, and how bad Hurst is. As someone posted he criticised Williams for his header today but failed to do the same to LJL in the previous 2 games. Hurst has already picked his favourites for next season and it's not based on merit.

From RH we learn from Hurst the consortium are discussing next season with him. I would love Town to stay up, if we go down then I would love Town to return in the first season. At the minute I can't see that happening with Hurst. Many have said we needed the consortium to brush away the past, it appears they're using a soft brush.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 287
ska face
March 21, 2021, 3:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,752
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Tommy

Hardly the way to go about building squad harmony is it, when one player gets such blatant and public different treatment, for what was actually a less straight-forward chance than LJL's.

Can remember him doing the same to Amond after he missed a similar header away at Altrincham in 15/16. Then benched him in the next game home to Torquay before he came on and scored a header.
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 287
Mayaman
March 21, 2021, 4:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from arryarryarry

We don't want the facts to get in the way of a good story.

Ian Holloway (a complete buffoon signed a load of excrement players) last 14 games of his tenure = 12 points

Paul Hurst (signed 11 new players) first 14 games = 8 points.

You can't compare really.  At that point the team was already on the slide and everybody at the club and the newcomers feel it.  There's more pressure. Surely, they all feel the negativity and that doesn't do wonders for confidence. Any team needs time to gel. (forming, storming, norming and performing.)  - presume you want IH back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 287
March 21, 2021, 8:02am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
I thought Mansfield looked poor and that result added to other results against some of the bottom sides as well as coming up against some of the better sides who were on poor runs and our abject failure to beat those teams sums up Paul Hurst's tenure so far.

If we go down he has to go.

No he doesn't, and he won't.

Reply: 275 - 287
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2021, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Interesting to hear some of the comments about Williams without a doubt he made a difference with his corner for Lenny’s goal and an excellent free kick.

The trigger for him to impact the game was when Clifton moved into midfield prior to that he did ok.

I think Spokes is a long way off being ready and the player some big him up to be but I do think he has good potential, can pick a pass and is worth sticking with & developing. When I say this I’m not being sarcastic but I could see him making a real difference in the National League.

Back to Williams, if I was to be brutal in reality it’s only took him 3/4 of the season to make an impact and as for being “Holloway’s man” under Holloway he looked like a right fanny dancer.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 287
Bawmariner
March 21, 2021, 10:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face

Can remember him doing the same to Amond after he missed a similar header away at Altrincham in 15/16. Then benched him in the next game home to Torquay before he came on and scored a header.

People find motivation in different ways. Hurst has spent the last 3 months with Williams. In that time I'm sure he's learnt how to and to not motivate him. It might seem harsh but maybe its what Williams needs. Let's be honest at times he's looked a cut above this level but unfortunately a lot more often he's looked anonymous in games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 287
DB
March 21, 2021, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Mayaman

You can't compare really.  At that point the team was already on the slide and everybody at the club and the newcomers feel it.  There's more pressure. Surely, they all feel the negativity and that doesn't do wonders for confidence. Any team needs time to gel. (forming, storming, norming and performing.)  - presume you want IH back.

I seem to recall the mood of this site was that the new signings would not bring negativity with them, as they were new to the club. Also they had nothing to prove from the past results as they weren't here and many believed it was hey ho up the league we go.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 287
arryarryarry
March 21, 2021, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mayaman

Not sure if you are a wind up merchant or just a bit dim but why would I want Holloway back, did you not see my comment about him Ian Holloway (a complete buffoon signed a load of excrement players)

Holloway would likely have taken us down and I was just pointing out that Hurst has not improved our points per game total to the extent that we are in a worse position than when he came.
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 287
29 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.