Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players out of contract at the end of the season
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 185 Guests

Players out of contract at the end of the season

This thread currently has 6,269 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
February 28, 2021, 11:06am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,688
Gold Stars: 226
Of the loanees I think we should try and retain Eastwood, Adams and Matete, but I doubt we would get any of them.

The out of contract players I would re-sign would be Pollock and Hendrie.

But essentially we are going to have to have a massive clear out and rebuild which ever league we find ourselves in.

The one crumb of comfort I can cling to is that the new owners will have an entirely different approach to investing in the paying staff. As I have said before, we have to be prepared to sign players that command a fee. Not just freebies that no one else wants.  They are free for a reason.

If you want success on the pitch, then buy good players. Pay them and they will come.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
arryarryarry
February 28, 2021, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from nightrider
Hewitt would be my first signing. And probably the only one    might struggle to keep him
The keeper, dependent on whether macca leaves
The rest could leave. Keep The Shop cos he'll make a good Christmas present for someone

Hewitt was just as crap as the rest of them yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
arryarryarry
February 28, 2021, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club

Apart from Rose I think you are right. We missed him yesterday, no other midfielder shows for ball from the back four  as much as he does.

I haven't been a fan of Rose all season, but I am sure he would have struggled yesterday on that pitch and against Harrogate the way they play, he has never looked like he would be up for a fight in a battle.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
moosey_club
February 28, 2021, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from arryarryarry

I haven't been a fan of Rose all season, but I am sure he would have struggled yesterday on that pitch and against Harrogate the way they play, he has never looked like he would be up for a fight in a battle.

It only became a battle in the first half because we just didnt try and retain the ball, same players second half actually played the formation better and we passed the ball around more accurately, first half all the back four did was hoof the ball up the pitch so we never really retained possession, i think the one time we did led to Payne getting a strike on target.  Rose sits in that midfield and takes the ball off the back four and is there to receive it if we play it back, a bit of that yesterday would have been useful.
Harrogate really didnt look all that to me, they profited in wide areas where there were acres of space and the way we defend like schoolboys chasing after the ball it was simple for them to pick off chasing players.
Second half they didnt get the luxury of that so much and we certainly matched them more evenly in the midfield.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2021, 3:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner
Of the loanees I think we should try and retain Eastwood, Adams and Matete, but I doubt we would get any of them.

The out of contract players I would re-sign would be Pollock and Hendrie.

But essentially we are going to have to have a massive clear out and rebuild which ever league we find ourselves in.

The one crumb of comfort I can cling to is that the new owners will have an entirely different approach to investing in the paying staff. As I have said before, we have to be prepared to sign players that command a fee. Not just freebies that no one else wants.  They are free for a reason.

If you want success on the pitch, then buy good players. Pay them and they will come.  

I know things are bad, but surely the staff don't have to pay to work for us?!  

Your last sentence is very telling. We should have spent whatever money in wages we had for some players who had quality, and would really have made a difference. What we seemed to have got instead is too many average, or indeed below-average players and we are back where we started but with a different team.

Everything is easy in hindsight, and I bet already he is wishing he may have approached things differently, but it seemed to me he felt the survival campaign would really only start when he had his own men in but it has actually got worse; the results have been poor and the performances terrible.

It makes you sick that we are in this position, but that has been well documented and now we have to rely on Hurst to somehow get us looking like a professional football team.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
HertsGTFC
February 28, 2021, 3:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from moosey_club

It only became a battle in the first half because we just didnt try and retain the ball, same players second half actually played the formation better and we passed the ball around more accurately, first half all the back four did was hoof the ball up the pitch so we never really retained possession, i think the one time we did led to Payne getting a strike on target.  Rose sits in that midfield and takes the ball off the back four and is there to receive it if we play it back, a bit of that yesterday would have been useful.
Harrogate really didnt look all that to me, they profited in wide areas where there were acres of space and the way we defend like schoolboys chasing after the ball it was simple for them to pick off chasing players.
Second half they didnt get the luxury of that so much and we certainly matched them more evenly in the midfield.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a professional football team give the ball away as easily as we do, nothing new though it’s been like that for a few seasons.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
diehardmariner
March 1, 2021, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Usually don't like these threads as it's all speculation in regards contract details and ultimately it's down to Hurst, there's also the realistic issue that we don't know what league we'll be in either.

That said, League Two or the Conference, I wouldn't be arsed if we lost the vast majority of this squad overnight.  When I say vast majority, I actually mean every one of them.   I think the only possible exception is probably Matete, who I'll be amazed if he's here next season.

Front front to back we're not good enough and haven't been all season.  The players who I think should and could make a difference (Hanson, Wright and maybe someone like Scannell) are players we've not been able to rely upon.  I'm done with pinning hopes on players who can't play more than 3 games in a row.  

What really alarmed me on Saturday, even though there wasn't a single Holloway signing on the pitch, was the lack of fight and leadership.  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
mariner91
March 1, 2021, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
I'd forgotten Scannell played for us, what's happened to him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
Jarmo.Is.God
March 1, 2021, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
A lot depends on what league we are playing in etc.

If its non-league, i hope we have new owners, and we try get back out of there very quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
pontoonlew
March 1, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mariner91
I'd forgotten Scannell played for us, what's happened to him?

I’m disappointed he hasn’t been included in any of Hursts squads personally, I thought he was looking excellent just before he got his injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players out of contract at the end of the season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.