4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2021, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Signing this lad from Ipswich got me thinking. Ipswich Town have often been in the top flight of English football whilst I have been following football, and have had some great players in the past. They used to get big gates by our standard, although obviously they have been going through a right time of it in the last few years.

Ipswich is a port, a bit out on a limb. Not the easiest place to get to. Gets a bad press sometimes.

The population of Ipswich is less than North East Lincolnshire at about 135,000.

With new owners, a new stadium, and a proper infrastructure and improving times a million in all areas of our operation, could we become what Ipswich Town used to be?
Private Message
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 29, 2021, 4:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
or Burnley or Bournemouth or various others, we should've got a new ground when we were already up there with them or above them and who knows where we'd be now but ohwell, here's hoping that one day we'll ride high again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
forza ivano
January 29, 2021, 4:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Signing this lad from Ipswich got me thinking. Ipswich Town have often been in the top flight of English football whilst I have been following football, and have had some great players in the past. They used to get big gates by our standard, although obviously they have been going through a right time of it in the last few years.

Ipswich is a port, a bit out on a limb. Not the easiest place to get to. Gets a bad press sometimes.

The population of Ipswich is less than North East Lincolnshire at about 135,000.

With new owners, a new stadium, and a proper infrastructure and improving times a million in all areas of our operation, could we become what Ipswich Town used to be?

started on the vino and wacky backy early have we Lew?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 29, 2021, 4:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304

Could we finish in the top 3 of the league, win the UEFA Cup and spend several decades in the top flight? I think we all know the answer to that.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2021, 4:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

started on the vino and wacky backy early have we Lew?

Well funnily enough...

The reason I brought the subject up is the similarity of the two areas. Normally any suggestion we could become like x club is that they are better placed, they have a bigger population, they are near big cities, etc etc. This is not the case with Ipswich, is it?

Yes they have had a great footballing tradition, but so did we albeit somewhat earlier.

The new owners will be positive, and will be trying to emulate other clubs that have gone from rags to riches and I thought Ipswich was a great example.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
golfer
January 29, 2021, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
We are up North. Ipswich commuting distance from london for Rita Ora's parties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
forza ivano
January 29, 2021, 4:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265

Well funnily enough...

The reason I brought the subject up is the similarity of the two areas. Normally any suggestion we could become like x club is that they are better placed, they have a bigger population, they are near big cities, etc etc. This is not the case with Ipswich, is it?

Yes they have had a great footballing tradition, but so did we albeit somewhat earlier.

The new owners will be positive, and will be trying to emulate other clubs that have gone from rags to riches and I thought Ipswich was a great example.

don't forget they'd won the league and competed in Europe in the  early 60's , have always had a far bigger fan base and are easily accessible from Essex/East london which is an enormous catchment area

imho i'd be looking to do a 21st century, bigger, better Crewe type project. I'd love the Holy Trinity to appoint someone to look at how the smaller clubs on the continent have got success and get some fresh ideas as to how we could build up to become a club that others were envious of
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2021, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

don't forget they'd won the league and competed in Europe in the  early 60's , have always had a far bigger fan base and are easily accessible from Essex/East london which is an enormous catchment area

Yes I know their history as they were a great team in the 60's when I was growing up. One of the questions is why have they always had a bigger fan base, when their population is smaller?

We are a lot more accessible to the big northern cities than Ipswich, aren't we? If you come from Leeds the journey to Ipswich is more daunting isn't it?

Perhaps I ought to temper my enthusiasm then and say could we become more like Ipswich Town? If not, who are we trying to emulate?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
promotion plaice
January 29, 2021, 5:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Where's Swin when you want him  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
Barrattstander
January 29, 2021, 5:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14

Probably not, but there's no reason why we can't become what they are now....a mid-table third division club...that would do for a start.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ipswich Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.