DB
January 29, 2021, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Ipswich really isn’t out on a limb. It’s a great southern location, easily commutable to from densely populated areas that are desirable places to live.

Attracting players to a place like Ipswich would be a million times easier than it is to get players to come and live on NE Lincolnshire, one of the most deprived areas in England. A sad indictment I grant you, yet factually correct.

Because of covid people are leaving cities for desirable rural locations, like Lincolnshire in all its names.

I once had the misfortune to visit 'Del Boy' country South London, burnt out cars, rubbish all over burnt out skips. They would say our worst areas are luxury.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2021, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Ipswich really isn’t out on a limb. It’s a great southern location, easily commutable to from densely populated areas that are desirable places to live.

Attracting players to a place like Ipswich would be a million times easier than it is to get players to come and live on NE Lincolnshire, one of the most deprived areas in England. A sad indictment I grant you, yet factually correct.

Your mate wouldn't have made a success of it if we were situated in Chelsea. You have been fed a diet of can't do, excuses at the ready to prove honest John tried his best but it is impossible to make a success of the club "because its Grimsby you see."

Just like us, Ipswich has a lot of bad press, and it is difficult to get to from the north (amazingly a lot of people and players live in the north) You cannot do a lot about location, but Grimsby is about to prosper due to offshore energy and hopefully, the fishing industry will pick up. We have a larger population than Ipswich and big clubs to support are miles away.

There is a lot to be positive about, assuming we can sort the mess out your mate is responsible for.

The new consortium is heavily into the regeneration of the town as well as the club and things will look a lot different to what your Poundland mate could ever envisage.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2021, 7:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Because of covid people are leaving cities for desirable rural locations, like Lincolnshire in all its names.

I once had the misfortune to visit 'Del Boy' country South London, burnt out cars, rubbish all over burnt out skips. They would say our worst areas are luxury.

Not without a decent paying job they wouldn’t

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 29, 2021, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from DB

Peckham’s come up, slipped on the white sports socks and sliders (Adidas or Nike) and now has the property prices to prove it.

Great night out

Art galleries, Frank’s Café, The Bussey Club...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
DB
January 29, 2021, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386

Peckham’s come up, slipped on the white sports socks and sliders (Adidas or Nike) and now has the property prices to prove it.

Great night out

Art galleries, Frank’s Café, The Bussey Club...

Pleased to hear it. I was there over 15 years ago.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
January 29, 2021, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from DB

Pleased to hear it. I was there over 15 years ago.

Yeah, I saw the blue plaque
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
January 29, 2021, 7:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Ipswich are the only league team in Suffolk and fans travel from Newmarket Mildenhall Haverhill Bury St Edmunds and Sudbury to support them.

Travelling distance to London is just over an hour away.

So a bit different to Grimsby.

The great thing about Ipswich is its situation. It's equidistant between London and Norwich.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
RichMariner
January 29, 2021, 7:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I think we start by reigniting the love for the club across the town. Make it something to be proud of. Winning isn't everything. If we can't walk a league or win every week, we need to be doing other things that get noticed for their originality.

About 10 years ago I used to work in the Pontefract and Castleford area — Wakefield too. They are all rugby league mad. The passion is incredible.

I used to travel through Featherstone. If you haven't been there, it's tiny. Probably no bigger than Louth. Population probably similar too. But the attendances they get, considering their population, is immense.

If you're from the town, you go to the games. It's just what you do.

I think we need to get that culture back into Grimsby. Make attending games just something you do; part of your lifestyle. If you're born in Grimsby, work in Grimsby, have family in Grimsby (or surrounding areas), you go to the game.

Featherstone haven't had any real success for decades, but the local people go because of routine and history and it's just a way of life.

Edit - people like Stockwood will look at other sports to see if there's anything we can learn and bring back into football. All good visionaries look at areas outside their own for inspiration. Can we learn from the Featherstone blueprint? Or abroad, as has been suggested.

If we can get that going for us, that's our starting point.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
January 29, 2021, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

What Dyche has achieved there is amazing, not sure why a bigger club as never come in for him.

I can.

He’s done an incredible job and is perfect for Burnley. But his only jump off point from Burnley will be Palace, when Hodgson finally hangs up the falconry glove, Newcastle or a sideways move to somewhere like West Brom.

Dyche doesn’t rotate his first eleven. He hardly makes any subs most games. I remember watching the Norwich match last July when Burnley were 1-0 up against 9 men for the whole of the 2nd half. It was turgid stuff and he still didn’t bring on the likes of Benson and Driscoll-Glennon, even though it was a dead rubber.

Rightly or wrongly, if Dyche walked into one of the top 10 EPL sides, he would get little respect from the players or fans. He wouldn’t last a month. He just wouldn’t be given the time regardless of his abilities.

Burnley’s only foreign (non home nation) players are Chris Wood (NZ), Erik Pieters (Dutch but ex-Stoke, so he’s as British as wonky teeth), Vydra (Hungarian and rarely starts) and Gudmundsson (Icelandic).

Dyche works brilliantly with British players. There’s nothing wrong with that. But put him in the Chelsea or Man City dressing room and Dyche would have no chance.

We will never know how good a manager Dyche is because he will never have the opportunity to show it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
HertsGTFC
January 29, 2021, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Signing this lad from Ipswich got me thinking. Ipswich Town have often been in the top flight of English football whilst I have been following football, and have had some great players in the past. They used to get big gates by our standard, although obviously they have been going through a right time of it in the last few years.

Ipswich is a port, a bit out on a limb. Not the easiest place to get to. Gets a bad press sometimes.

The population of Ipswich is less than North East Lincolnshire at about 135,000.

With new owners, a new stadium, and a proper infrastructure and improving times a million in all areas of our operation, could we become what Ipswich Town used to be?

No

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ipswich Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.