headingly_mariner
January 21, 2021, 6:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not sure where that confidence comes from. Hanson obviously gives more than Green in terms of hold up play, but excluding his first month for us, he has not been a goal scorer. We still need somebody who can hit the onion bag. Jackson might be the one, I like his positioning and runs, but we've created so little in the time he's been on that it's not easy to judge him.

He’s scored 9 goals in around 30 games for us. More than all our other strikers added together this season.
Plus his obvious talent for holding the ball up is the big thing we’ve missed as we can’t get it to stick in the opposition half.
He will make us play higher up the pitch and stop the ball coming back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
ginnywings
January 21, 2021, 6:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He’s scored 9 goals in around 30 games for us. More than all our other strikers added together this season.
Plus his obvious talent for holding the ball up is the big thing we’ve missed as we can’t get it to stick in the opposition half.
He will make us play higher up the pitch and stop the ball coming back.

Agreed. There is more to forward play than scoring goals. I'd imagine the players themselves would have a lift seeing him up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
monkeyboy
January 21, 2021, 6:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Got to say Jackson did more in ten minutes last week than green did in the whole match.
He looks sharp and by far the most natural finisher.

Those crying out for a striker need to see the service hasn’t been there yet and this lad could do as good as anyone brought in playing along side Hanson should he stay fit.

Service is the 🔑.

This signing looks like it could help the team no end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Hagrid
January 21, 2021, 6:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,412
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from monkeyboy
Got to say Jackson did more in ten minutes last week than green did in the whole match.

Those crying out for a striker need to see the service hasn’t been there yet and this lad could do as good as anyone brought in playing along side Hanson should he stay fit.

Service is the 🔑.

His touch was awful, awareness awful, nah sorry but he’s not the answer. Not good enough
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
Mariner_09
January 21, 2021, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

Don't get this obsession with Jackosn, other than unanimous desperation given the alternatives. His touch and spatial awareness were bobbins, he happened to pop up in the right places two games running which means he has more than other strikers. He benefits from being ever so slightly better than all the other garbage around him. He's also not good enough but it's camouflaged by everyone else's crapness.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
headingly_mariner
January 21, 2021, 7:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

He looked completely out of his depth, he barely touched the ball and when he got anywhere near it he was muscled off it. In most of his brief appearances his general play has been pretty excrement, I thought he might be one of those strikers with a knack for being in the right place, I am beginning to think it might have been more a bit of good fortune.
I’d like to see him develop as he must something about him to have scored all those goals in non league, at the minute though he looks way off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
Mikey_345
January 21, 2021, 7:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,381
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from Mariner_09

he happened to pop up in the right places two games running which means he has more than other strikers.

Think you underestimate that popping up in the right place is a huge portion of a strikers job. Can count on one hand the times our other strikers have with far more games and minutes to do so.

Once there is a physical presence up front to allow us to get up the pitch and play in the final third strikers like Jackson and Gibson will be in their element.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
pontoonlew
January 21, 2021, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,019
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

This got loads of green ticks and those questioning it got loads of red crosses which makes me question our fans ability to judge a player.

He was Sunday league at best when he came on, he failed to take one single pass from poor old Sean Scannell, who must be wondering where it all went wrong after playing in the premier league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
Rodley Mariner
January 21, 2021, 7:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I suspect if he got chances that Jackson might take quite a few of them but he isn't going to get many at all in this team and I'm not sure he contributes much else except enthusiasm and effort. Fair play to him for at least doing that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
Poojah
January 21, 2021, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Ethan Robson plays for Blackpool now Poojah

Yeah, I’m aware of this - I just meant that he’d never come as close to breaking into Sunderland’s first team as Majete has at Fleetwood.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jay Matete

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.