Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 21, 2021, 10:44am
Mike white on twitter saying we considering a loan move
19 year old, fleetwood
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 21, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 1
Would be a good signing off of what i've seen, watched him play for them against Gillingham and puts himself about. Obviously fell out of favour with Barton leaving but the fact he's made 7 starts given there quality shows Barton rated him and he wasn't a half bad midfielder himself.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 2
I read that as Jay Machete.

Cutting..
Posted by: livosnose, January 21, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
I read that as Jay Machete.

Cutting..

You are very sharp today  :)
Posted by: RichMariner, January 21, 2021, 1:16pm; Reply: 4
Will sign for Sheffield United then.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 21, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 5
Will be excellent at piercing defences..
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 21, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 6
Seems to have that cutting edge
Posted by: RonMariner, January 21, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 7
I'd rather we sign Billy Sharp though.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 21, 2021, 2:05pm; Reply: 8
Would cut through defences, scything down the opposition.  Cutting them down to size and leaving them in a heap on the floor.  
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 2:28pm; Reply: 9
A few defences will try and blunt our attack.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 21, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 10
Seems like he's signed...

[tweet]1352282304656203776[/tweet]
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 21, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 11
I think this looks like a really good signing, to have played a fair few games in the league above at his age is a good sign.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 21, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 12
Welcome
Posted by: coddy60, January 21, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think this looks like a really good signing, to have played a fair few games in the league above at his age is a good sign.

7, not really a fair few, but he is highly rated, hope he impresses as hes out of contract in the Summer
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 21, 2021, 4:09pm; Reply: 14
Confirmed on the Fleetwood Town OS.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 15
Welcome Jay.

Looks to be mobile and someone that can get beyond the strikers and commit defenders. Hope so anyway.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 21, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from coddy60

7, not really a fair few, but he is highly rated, hope he impresses as hes out of contract in the Summer

A 3rd of the games in a top-half league one side isn’t bad, he also got a mom in one of the games. Earlier in the week some were getting envious of the signings barrow have made, but this kids played as many games as some of them and at a higher level. Good signing I think.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 17
Anyone spotting a trend here.....pacey centre back, now a pacey midfielder, think Hurst has picked up on our lack of pace, just need a decent pacey striker and there's a good spine there!.Hope the boy does well for us!..UTM..
Posted by: coddy60, January 21, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mariner93er

A 3rd of the games in a top-half league one side isn’t bad, he also got a mom in one of the games. Earlier in the week some were getting envious of the signings barrow have made, but this kids played as many games as some of them and at a higher level. Good signing I think.

Yeah, I dont disagree, the only point I was making was that 7 doesn't count as a fair few games by any stretch, but like I said already, hes highly rated so I'm happy with the signing..
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 21, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from coddy60

Yeah, I dont disagree, the only point I was making was that 7 doesn't count as a fair few games by any stretch, but like I said already, hes highly rated so I'm happy with the signing..

OS has said he has played in 13 games this season in all competitions.

All in all that's 13 from a possible 31 in his first season as a pro. I remember some of our first team pro's in past and some in present getting 1 or 2 games over several seasons, if that.

I suppose we can only judge when we've seen him, looks a promising young player.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 21, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 20
13 games in probably the best midfield in L1, not bad going.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 21, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 21
Confirmed on our OS
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 21, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Anyone spotting a trend here.....pacey centre back, now a pacey midfielder, think Hurst has picked up on our lack of pace, just need a decent pacey striker and there's a good spine there!.Hope the boy does well for us!..UTM..

I note on another thread that Billy Chadwick may also be back on our radar. What’s surprising about the two signings this week, all three if Chadwick signs, is that they are all very young players and not sure why but I was expecting Hurst to bring in some experienced players.

But think your point is correct that we seem to be getting in young powerful and pacey players which added to the return of Scannell, Wright and Hanson, starts to give us a very healthy mix of experience and enthusiasm with the two signed this week also have had experience playing in L1. Maybe with a better blend of players the likes of Rose & Bennett will start to show that they are not a waste of a shirt and will add the value we expected when they signed.

I always have a positive outlook on signings, normally lasts until I’ve seen them play a few games, but optimism is starting to rise again.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 21, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I note on another thread that Billy Chadwick may also be back on our radar. What’s surprising about the two signings this week, all three if Chadwick signs, is that they are all very young players and not sure why but I was expecting Hurst to bring in some experienced players.

But think your point is correct that we seem to be getting in young powerful and pacey players which added to the return of Scannell, Wright and Hanson, starts to give us a very healthy mix of experience and enthusiasm with the two signed this week also have had experience playing in L1. Maybe with a better blend of players the likes of Rose & Bennett will start to show that they are not a waste of a shirt and will add the value we expected when they signed.

I always have a positive outlook on signings, normally lasts until I’ve seen them play a few games, but optimism is starting to rise again.

Giles Coke may be signing too, this will add some experience in the middle/up front too.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 21, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 24
Typical Hurst, didn’t hear about this or his name until obviously done this morning.

Really like this one, looks like someone comfortable on the ball but also brings much needed mobility in the middle of the park. We’ve been broken through far to easy at times this season.

With him and Rollin looks like we are much more solid and mobile through the spine of the team.

Expect we may see some permanent deals towards the end of the window when clubs have to let players out.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 25
Just watched his interview and there were a few clips of training this morning. Hanson looked like he was moving freely, with Scannell and Morais also running about in the background. We seem to be edging toward a better starting eleven.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 21, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
Just watched his interview and there were a few clips of training this morning. Hanson looked like he was moving freely, with Scannell and Morais also running about in the background. We seem to be edging toward a better starting eleven.

That is a huge positive. Scannell looked a class apart in that game before he was injured. I think it’s probably fair to say if Hanson is fit for the rest of the season we will stay up, big if though, I imagine he’d be like a pig in excrement with Morais on the wing raining the crosses in.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 27
“On ma tête son”
Posted by: Azimuth, January 21, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 28
Everything to prove to his own club so should be an exciting addition.
Posted by: coddy60, January 21, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

OS has said he has played in 13 games this season in all competitions.

All in all that's 13 from a possible 31 in his first season as a pro. I remember some of our first team pro's in past and some in present getting 1 or 2 games over several seasons, if that.

I suppose we can only judge when we've seen him, looks a promising young player.

7 is the number of league games, I dont recognise the football league trophy  😁
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 21, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That is a huge positive. Scannell looked a class apart in that game before he was injured. I think it’s probably fair to say if Hanson is fit for the rest of the season we will stay up, big if though, I imagine he’d be like a pig in excrement with Morais on the wing raining the crosses in.

I agree.  In his first few games Scannell looked top quality and so did Morais.  I'd shift Morais to play left and Scannell on the right, Matete in midfield with someone else to sit in front of the back four.  If Hanson is fit then we just need a nippy no9 who knows where the goal is to feed of Hanson- though I fancy Jackson Jr could do that well enough.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 21, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 31
Wouldn’t want Morais to move from the right. That yard and pinpoint cross he has in him is his best asset, especially if Hanson in the middle.

Max or Scannell from the left I’d much prefer.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 32
Bennett on the left? Think Hurst put Preston there last week as insurance to see how Habergham got on in his first start for some time. I expect Preston will be on the bench on Saturday.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 21, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 33
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Matete
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano

Scored on debut against Scunny. Ahead of his time!
Posted by: Poojah, January 21, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 35
Always difficult trying to judge signings like this when the player is young and has a relatively small number of games under his belt.

However, to try and provide some context, Fleetwood are currently 4 points behind Sunderland in League One, and so of comparable quality. Neither Elliot Embleton nor Ethan Robson, both of whom impressed and would be a massive improvement on the current first team, have been anywhere near the first team in any meaningful way.

16 senior appearances for Fleetwood should put him somewhere in that ballpark in terms of quality at the very minimum.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 21, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 36

I'm not sure where that confidence comes from. Hanson obviously gives more than Green in terms of hold up play, but excluding his first month for us, he has not been a goal scorer. We still need somebody who can hit the onion bag. Jackson might be the one, I like his positioning and runs, but we've created so little in the time he's been on that it's not easy to judge him.
Posted by: oochiad, January 21, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 37
What a great signing, welcome Jay. UTM!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 21, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Poojah
Always difficult trying to judge signings like this when the player is young and has a relatively small number of games under his belt.

However, to try and provide some context, Fleetwood are currently 4 points behind Sunderland in League One, and so of comparable quality. Neither Elliot Embleton nor Ethan Robson, both of whom impressed and would be a massive improvement on the current first team, have been anywhere near the first team in any meaningful way.

16 senior appearances for Fleetwood should put him somewhere in that ballpark in terms of quality at the very minimum.

Ethan Robson plays for Blackpool now Poojah
Posted by: smokey111, January 21, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Poojah

Sound reasoning Poojah.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 21, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not sure where that confidence comes from. Hanson obviously gives more than Green in terms of hold up play, but excluding his first month for us, he has not been a goal scorer. We still need somebody who can hit the onion bag. Jackson might be the one, I like his positioning and runs, but we've created so little in the time he's been on that it's not easy to judge him.

He’s scored 9 goals in around 30 games for us. More than all our other strikers added together this season.
Plus his obvious talent for holding the ball up is the big thing we’ve missed as we can’t get it to stick in the opposition half.
He will make us play higher up the pitch and stop the ball coming back.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 41

He’s scored 9 goals in around 30 games for us. More than all our other strikers added together this season.
Plus his obvious talent for holding the ball up is the big thing we’ve missed as we can’t get it to stick in the opposition half.
He will make us play higher up the pitch and stop the ball coming back.

Agreed. There is more to forward play than scoring goals. I'd imagine the players themselves would have a lift seeing him up front.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 21, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 42
Got to say Jackson did more in ten minutes last week than green did in the whole match.
He looks sharp and by far the most natural finisher.

Those crying out for a striker need to see the service hasn’t been there yet and this lad could do as good as anyone brought in playing along side Hanson should he stay fit.

Service is the 🔑.

This signing looks like it could help the team no end
Posted by: Hagrid, January 21, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from monkeyboy
Got to say Jackson did more in ten minutes last week than green did in the whole match.

Those crying out for a striker need to see the service hasn’t been there yet and this lad could do as good as anyone brought in playing along side Hanson should he stay fit.

Service is the 🔑.

His touch was awful, awareness awful, nah sorry but he’s not the answer. Not good enough
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 21, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

Don't get this obsession with Jackosn, other than unanimous desperation given the alternatives. His touch and spatial awareness were bobbins, he happened to pop up in the right places two games running which means he has more than other strikers. He benefits from being ever so slightly better than all the other garbage around him. He's also not good enough but it's camouflaged by everyone else's crapness.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 21, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

He looked completely out of his depth, he barely touched the ball and when he got anywhere near it he was muscled off it. In most of his brief appearances his general play has been pretty excrement, I thought he might be one of those strikers with a knack for being in the right place, I am beginning to think it might have been more a bit of good fortune.
I’d like to see him develop as he must something about him to have scored all those goals in non league, at the minute though he looks way off.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 21, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Mariner_09

he happened to pop up in the right places two games running which means he has more than other strikers.

Think you underestimate that popping up in the right place is a huge portion of a strikers job. Can count on one hand the times our other strikers have with far more games and minutes to do so.

Once there is a physical presence up front to allow us to get up the pitch and play in the final third strikers like Jackson and Gibson will be in their element.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 21, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from monkeyboy

Service is the 🔑.

This got loads of green ticks and those questioning it got loads of red crosses which makes me question our fans ability to judge a player.

He was Sunday league at best when he came on, he failed to take one single pass from poor old Sean Scannell, who must be wondering where it all went wrong after playing in the premier league.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 21, 2021, 7:38pm; Reply: 48
I suspect if he got chances that Jackson might take quite a few of them but he isn't going to get many at all in this team and I'm not sure he contributes much else except enthusiasm and effort. Fair play to him for at least doing that.
Posted by: Poojah, January 21, 2021, 7:38pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Ethan Robson plays for Blackpool now Poojah

Yeah, I’m aware of this - I just meant that he’d never come as close to breaking into Sunderland’s first team as Majete has at Fleetwood.
Posted by: toontown, January 21, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 50
Yeah I agree Jackson general play looked very poor,and has done when he has played. He has shown he maybe has something about him in front of goal. That alone puts him ahead of green but that's not the same as saying he is genuinely good enough.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 21, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from toontown
Yeah I agree Jackson general play looked very poor,and has done when he has played. He has shown he maybe has something about him in front of goal. That alone puts him ahead of green but that's not the same as saying he is genuinely good enough.

Going to go out on a limb and endure the red crosses and stick up for the much maligned Green.  Whilst I agree he hasn't pulled up any trees his general workrate has been pretty good. I think he has suffered big style from one of the poorest midfield's we have had for a long time. I am struggling to remember any decent passage of plays that have resulted in a decent pass for Green. He has generally  been feeding off scraps for many games now. I would wholeheartedly agree with a lot of his critics if he was offered some decent opportunities but the truth is there has been very little. Jackson to me may potentially be a decent player one day but he isn't there yet.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 21, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 52
looking forward to the weekend now, I know he's a young lad but he should be keen to impress, he sounds like exactly what I thought we lacked in our last game, wont judge him if it takes a few games to settle in though
Posted by: RonMariner, January 21, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 53
Like the sound of this guy.

Put him and Menayese straight in the team for Saturday. If Hanson is fit and starts that too is like a new signing. With Scennell back too, the squad will be significantly better than last week.

If we do end up getting Chadwick, I think we have a great chance of bring home the points.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 21, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Mariner93er

Lucky to have more than one mum/mam. Even better to have one of them good enough to play men's League football.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 21, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 55
It sure what’s going on at fleetwood, but they’ve also let their captain Paul coutts join Salford til the end of the season
Posted by: ginnywings, January 21, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It sure what’s going on at fleetwood, but they’ve also let their captain Paul coutts join Salford til the end of the season

And a centre half to Exeter on a free. January sales.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 21, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Can bank on them going up etc
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 21, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 58
https://youtu.be/plSGHhJxS5M
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 21, 2021, 11:06pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

They have a new advisor.  Mr. J.S. Fenty    ;D
Posted by: Mayaman, January 22, 2021, 12:20am; Reply: 60
I like the way he said, "we're in a bit of a relegation battle"  -"We" he's already one of us. I can't wait to see him play.  
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 5:58pm