4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
January 15, 2021, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.57
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,831
Gold Stars: 382
On a post yesterday, from Youngy I believe, the question was where do Barrow train. I believe this was all brought, in various posts, about by the distance we are from anywhere to attract any sort of decent new blood.

The new Barrow training ground is near Knutsford Ideally placed to attract players from the Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham areas. They only have to travel to Barrow itself on match days, as do a Russian club who train in Moscow and fly into and out of a Siberian town on match days.

Would it be good idea to relocate the training ground to the end of the M180 / M18 so that travelling to train would not be a problem in attracting new signings for us. I would also mention that this could be financed by the sale of Cheapside for housing; about 10/15 properties @ £100k per plot , £1 - £1 1/2 million.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
January 15, 2021, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
Yes, in a word. I've said this before - without straying too far into Scunny territory a training ground at, say, Barnetby Top would shave thirty to forty minutes off the commute to anyone coming from South or West Yorkshire for instance. That has to be more attractive.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2021, 11:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,915
Gold Stars: 343
I don't think we need to go to the extreme of a training ground on the edge of Doncaster, but a modern training ground with good facilities (inside and out) off the A180 at either Brocklesby interchange or Stallingborough interchange would make a huge difference in attracting players.

Cheapside being a dump and being in a difficult place to reach from the main road (A180) into the area does affect player recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 36
Stew0_0
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Yes setting up a training ground in/near doncaster would be ideal. Very central as far as travelling is concerned
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
MarshMariner
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
You could buy Scunny for 1/2 million..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
DB
January 15, 2021, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.57
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,831
Gold Stars: 382
Quoted from MarshMariner
You could buy Scunny for 1/2 million..

That much

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2021, 11:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,915
Gold Stars: 343
Lincoln City chose the A15 opposite RAF Scampton as a training ground base ahead of other possible locations (A46 near Swinderby and A158 near North Greetwell) because it is ideally located for players travelling from the north (straight down the A15 from the M180).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 36
Tinymariner
January 15, 2021, 11:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Where did they train yesterday as cheapside was waterlogged? It looked like they were on astro turf in a fenced in area.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 15, 2021, 11:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 541
Quoted from DB

The new Barrow training ground is near Knutsford Ideally placed to attract players from the Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham areas. They only have to travel to Barrow itself on match days, as do a Russian club who train in Moscow and fly into and out of a Siberian town on match days.

Good points

Personally, I’d rather live in the Lake District or Arnside / Silverdale than Knutsford but, then again, I’m not a 20 year old footballer with seed to spread like a Dairylea triangle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
diehardmariner
January 15, 2021, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
Very sensible idea.

Questions were raised around the ownership of Cheapside when May expressed his grubby intentions around building a new training facility, which I think we all instantly thought would be related to selling Cheapside for a huge profit.

If (and I don't know if we do) we do own Cheapside, we're potentially sitting on a goldmine there.  It's prime location but is a hinderance to our purposes as a training ground.  As others have said the location is absolutely crap for attracting players.  Unless we're attracting players from Louth it's arguably the least accessible part of North East Lincolnshire for anyone to come to.  As someone who goes up and down the M/A180 more times than I would like to, even the sound of the bloody road once you get past Barnetby Top would be enough to put me off.

In an ideal situation all our players would live within 10 miles of the ground and training set-up, but the game doesn't work like that anymore.  Even at the very highest level, players don't live close to their training grounds.  A lot of London teams actively sought out training grounds in the Home Counties to reflect the fact that it would be more convenient for their players, the vast majority of whom wouldn't live in the city itself.

Definitely something worth exploring that's for certain.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Training Ground

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.