arryarryarry
January 15, 2021, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB
On a post yesterday, from Youngy I believe, the question was where do Barrow train. I believe this was all brought, in various posts, about by the distance we are from anywhere to attract any sort of decent new blood.

The new Barrow training ground is near Knutsford Ideally placed to attract players from the Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham areas. They only have to travel to Barrow itself on match days, as do a Russian club who train in Moscow and fly into and out of a Siberian town on match days.

Would it be good idea to relocate the training ground to the end of the M180 / M18 so that travelling to train would not be a problem in attracting new signings for us. I would also mention that this could be financed by the sale of Cheapside for housing; about 10/15 properties @ £100k per plot , £1 - £1 1/2 million.

Whe we played there in the National League, I was speaking to one of their staff and he said the majority of players did train well away from Barrow.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
Ruston AT
January 15, 2021, 1:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 10

Let me throw this one in, when does Barrats football pitches covenant run out? No one has built on the old swimming pool ground YET!  The changing rooms on Barrats are being allowed to fall into disrepair somethings going on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2021, 1:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ruston AT

Let me throw this one in, when does Barrats football pitches covenant run out? No one has built on the old swimming pool ground YET!  The changing rooms on Barrats are being allowed to fall into disrepair somethings going on!

Council budget cuts?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
Poojah
January 15, 2021, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499

I know what you're saying but a 'trawler shaped stadium' sounds dreadful....

The Qatari's were on about building one of the stadium's for next year's world cup in the shape of one of their traditional 'dhow' boats. I don't think this one actually went ahead, but I'd be alright with a trawler-esque version of this nestled into the dockside.

[youtube]k0B_J1smPag[/youtube]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
immariner
January 15, 2021, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Yeah, I've been thinking this for a while and I think it's pretty imperative we do move training grounds at some point in the not-too distant future. If we were to keep it in Lincs the ideal location would be around Brigg/Elsham, at the apex of the A15/M180. Outside of Lincs, Hatfield/Thorne near Donny would be decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Marinerdan
January 15, 2021, 2:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
We live in a village just outside Donny. The main reason we moved away from Grimsby were the transport links.

Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Hull and Grimsby are all less than an hour away. Nottingham,
Derby, Harrogate, Huddersfield and even the outskirts of Manchester are not much over an hour away. Regular direct trains to London

The council here are also more proactive about attracting inward investment and actually building things rather than just drawing ‘artists impressions’.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2021, 2:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Marinerdan
We live in a village just outside Donny. The main reason we moved away from Grimsby were the transport links.

Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Hull and Grimsby are all less than an hour away. Nottingham,
Derby, Harrogate, Huddersfield and even the outskirts of Manchester are not much over an hour away. Regular direct trains to London

The council here are also more proactive about attracting inward investment and actually building things rather than just drawing ‘artists impressions’.

Didn’t they pay for the Keepmoat?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
LocalLadGTFC
January 15, 2021, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,938
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from Bigdog

First of all I believe that we rent the land at Cheapside so there's zero chance of it being a fundraiser for new training facilities. Decent training facilities will cost upwards of £5m anyway. And secondly, the long term aim of the club is for good players to play for the club for longer than five minutes and settle in the area like the Buckley team did. Just because the club is in the state it is at present doesn't mean that we should long term plan for worst case scenarios. Training facilities at the end of the M180? Seriously? A better brand identity for GTFC, new training facilities, a new stadium, a winning team and a manager players can believe in are much more compelling arguments for a player to sign for us than cutting a daily commute down by thirty minutes. And what about the youth set up? Do we get the kids to travel down the M180 for every session or go to the lengths and cost of building two training complexes? Knutsford is ok for Barrow, they'll be non-league for good sooner rather than later, and we should aspire to something much more than that. Training ground near Doncaster? Knee-jerk and barmy imho..

That’s the whole point, it isn’t just Barrow that do this. Many clubs adopt that approach in the leagues above us. The clubs adopt this approach because it not just improves the first team squad, the scope of youth players they have to choose from is much wider. Evan Khouri is the first player in many a year that’s come from outside of Lincolnshire for our youth set up and that’s only because he has family from the area. Let’s be honest, young players would much rather go to Hull, Lincoln and Doncaster than play for us. The last player to come through our youth system and go on to better things was.. Ryan Bennett and guess what, he was from Ipswich and signed at 16. We don’t produce players often enough for the basis to be around the youth, so why not have a bigger scope to increase the chances of us being able to sign another Ryan Bennett that has been released from his club?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 36
tashee69
January 15, 2021, 3:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MarshMariner
You could buy Scunny for 1/2 million..

But would you want to 🤣

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
Limerick Mariner
January 15, 2021, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from immariner
Yeah, I've been thinking this for a while and I think it's pretty imperative we do move training grounds at some point in the not-too distant future. If we were to keep it in Lincs the ideal location would be around Brigg/Elsham, at the apex of the A15/M180. Outside of Lincs, Hatfield/Thorne near Donny would be decent.

Could locate at Elsham aerodrome, not as much history as Scampton (103 squadron based there - 248 aircraft from there lost during WW2 - alot of young men that), better road links, station and pub in Barnetby for apres-training protein-shakes...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Training Ground

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.