January 15, 2021, 3:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Didn’t they pay for the Keepmoat?

They did, I think DMBC own it and Rovers have a long lease. There’s a few all weather training pitches there and a smaller stadium which I think is used for the yoofs.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
moosey_club
January 15, 2021, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Whilst it seems radical at first thought, heresy even to have a base away from the town......but if you sit back , think , even in just taking the last 3-4-5 managers very similar issues in player recruitment quoting location, training facilities, infrastructure as a factor have occurred.  
One saying it is easily dismissed as excuses , two saying it a coincidence , three saying it ...four saying it.

Despite being a bit of a traditionalist regards Town/ football,  where the club actually train during the week doesnt bother me one bit. Yes it would be nice to keep it local but times change. If location is genuinely an issue then if the mountain of talent wont come to the Mariners then the Mariners must go to the mountain of talent.
You would have to consider that land values in a nice central location with good transport links to build a facility would be higher than here of course.

The other "coincidence" or constant if you will , is that over similar timescales as the location and facilities have become an issue , the contract negotiations have also been undertaken by the one person.  Linked ??  Time will tell.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2021, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Marinerdan

They did, I think DMBC own it and Rovers have a long lease. There’s a few all weather training pitches there and a smaller stadium which I think is used for the yoofs.

Cheers Dan

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2021, 10:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Even if we only lease Cheapside, there might be some value to the landlord in us leaving, especially if there’s a prospect of planning approval for development. If there’s a better location (and surely west of the town is better than south) it should be considered.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
aldi_01
January 16, 2021, 9:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It truth it’s not entirely important where the training facilities are. Clubs all over Europe have training facilities a considerable difference away from say the stadium.

One fact also remains, cheapside is nothing more than a Sunday league setup in truth. That can’t be helpful when recruiting, clubs lower down the pyramid have better facilities. If we don’t own cheapside we will be limited on what we can and can’t do, we’ve always done everything on the cheap anyway so perhaps it’s time to move, somewhere easier to reach, somewhere than can be developed and something forward thinking and modern.

Hopefully with the penny pinching dinosaurs on their way out we may have a chance for such a facility...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Stockport Mariner
January 16, 2021, 9:39am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah

The Qatari's were on about building one of the stadium's for next year's world cup in the shape of one of their traditional 'dhow' boats. I don't think this one actually went ahead, but I'd be alright with a trawler-esque version of this nestled into the dockside.

[youtube]k0B_J1smPag[/youtube]

Only if we can all arrive by water taxi 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
Ruston AT
January 16, 2021, 11:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10

Great Coates is a good choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Training Ground

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.