4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 12:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

It is not covid per se, obviously, it is the manner in which we as a club have dealt with it. The covid clause in the contract is the main example, but as a club we did not seem to be alive to the fact that the season was going to start with or without covid, with or without fans and we got left well behind.

Some of that is Ollie's fault; he should have seen the drawbacks of the covid contracts and the slow start but when he says covid has hampered us, it has more than most because of the way the club is run at board level.

I get that Lew. But he should be clearer. It’s still looks like he’s trying to avoid admitting he made a mistake (I can’t believe that a decision like that was taken without him being on board).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
grimsby pete
November 23, 2020, 11:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
The problems we have faced this season is the same as every club in the country.

How we have dealt with them is not the same.

So who's fault was that ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
November 23, 2020, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I get that Lew. But he should be clearer. It’s still looks like he’s trying to avoid admitting he made a mistake (I can’t believe that a decision like that was taken without him being on board).

He is in a very difficult position though really. I am sure what he wants to say is " the board insisted on a covid clause and that led to all my first choices rejecting me" but of course he can't.

I agree with you though - how did he agree to it? Surely the minute the first target rejected us, he should have gone back and said we won't attract players of sufficient quality with that clause so we must change tack. I guess he was caught between a rock and a hard place, seeing the obvious advantage of still having a club when all this is over, and perhaps delaying his real plans for a season.

Had the season been curtailed due to covid, it would have been a fantastic decision all round. Sadly for us, it has proved to be the wrong choice.

We have a get out out of jail card though - the January window. We must get in the players we need on proper money and Fenty will just have to take the hit or his money might never be repaid.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
MuddyWaters
November 23, 2020, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete
The problems we have faced this season is the same as every club in the country.

How we have dealt with them is not the same.

So who's fault was that ?

Hope you've changed your phone number Pete  
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 12:23pm
Meths Drinker

He is in a very difficult position though really. I am sure what he wants to say is " the board insisted on a covid clause and that led to all my first choices rejecting me" but of course he can't.

I agree with you though - how did he agree to it? Surely the minute the first target rejected us, he should have gone back and said we won't attract players of sufficient quality with that clause so we must change tack. I guess he was caught between a rock and a hard place, seeing the obvious advantage of still having a club when all this is over, and perhaps delaying his real plans for a season.

Had the season been curtailed due to covid, it would have been a fantastic decision all round. Sadly for us, it has proved to be the wrong choice.

We have a get out out of jail card though - the January window. We must get in the players we need on proper money and Fenty will just have to take the hit or his money might never be repaid.

Yeah. I agree. He can’t really slag off the decision. He should just be clearer if that’s what he meant about it being down to Covid. We tried but it didn’t work out.

Hopefully we can get the squad sorted a bit in January and address the pay issues.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
oochiad
November 23, 2020, 12:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
CLEARER???? You don't have to be rocket scientist to work out what Hollo0way means when he says covid.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 12:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
CLEARER???? You don't have to be rocket scientist to work out what Hollo0way means when he says covid.....

It flipping well isn’t clear. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so many people complaining about it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
oochiad
November 23, 2020, 1:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
He can't state the bleeding obvious can he........I don"t wish to argue with you but to me its been obvious that he's had his hands tied all along. We all want the same thing.....Hopefully IH will still be here and get things sorted in January. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 1:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
He can't state the bleeding obvious can he........I don"t wish to argue with you but to me its been obvious that he's had his hands tied all along. We all want the same thing.....Hopefully IH will still be here and get things sorted in January. UTM!

If it was bleeding obvious he wouldn’t have been questioned on it. You might be inside the strange world of Ian Holloway’s head but you’re pretty rare.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
grimsby pete
November 23, 2020, 2:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hope you've changed your phone number Pete  

The tight sod never rang me he told me to ring him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › F.a.o. Ian Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.