17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
October 28, 2020, 11:12am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I'm not panicking after that. We weren't great, but Village Green are a decent side and we were better than them for big chunks.

We lack creativity and our midfield was lightweight.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 167
mimma
October 28, 2020, 11:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
I think fans on here want instant success with a team of young players that have been thrown together. It is no coincidence that the teams currently at the top are the ones that have been together as a unit with fewer changes. I like what IH is trying to do, playing football from the back, but we have had years of goofball, and the whole team bunched up on the halfway line for goal kicks etc and it's going to take time. I am old enough to remember Alan Buckley first coming here, with his brand of exciting football.  It didn't work overnight and there were similar calls for him to go after the first few games. Luckily we stayed with him and the rest as they say is history.

On another note, it was the best quality picture I have had yet on I Follow. I also listened to the home commentary. What a breath of fresh air it was, commentators actually commentating as they use to, concentrating on the game and not waffling on about everything and nothing. They were very good.  They were very complimentary about how we set up to go at them, instead of sitting back like most other teams. They were very fair in their assessment that FGR were hanging on in the end and we could have nicked a point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 167
pen penfras
October 28, 2020, 11:20am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I'm not panicking after that. We weren't great, but Village Green are a decent side and we were better than them for big chunks.

We lack creativity and our midfield was lightweight.

We've played 5 of the top 10 and the only team that was really better than us was Harrogate. I suppose you could say Salford based on the result, but that was a bit of a freak result really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 167
mimma
October 28, 2020, 12:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Don't think you can have two thirds of the possession if your midfield is weak. Agree about creativity though. I thought Gomis looked good when he came on, lively with a turn of pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 167
sam gy
October 28, 2020, 12:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
We lacked ideas in the final third, but our general play was ok...i was pretty impressed with our passing to be fair. Hopefully we'll come good with a settled attack once everyone is up to speed.

People are going a bit OTT about the loss, but that's football.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 167
ginnywings
October 28, 2020, 7:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mimma
I think fans on here want instant success with a team of young players that have been thrown together. It is no coincidence that the teams currently at the top are the ones that have been together as a unit with fewer changes. I like what IH is trying to do, playing football from the back, but we have had years of goofball, and the whole team bunched up on the halfway line for goal kicks etc and it's going to take time. I am old enough to remember Alan Buckley first coming here, with his brand of exciting football.  It didn't work overnight and there were similar calls for him to go after the first few games. Luckily we stayed with him and the rest as they say is history.

On another note, it was the best quality picture I have had yet on I Follow. I also listened to the home commentary. What a breath of fresh air it was, commentators actually commentating as they use to, concentrating on the game and not waffling on about everything and nothing. They were very good.  They were very complimentary about how we set up to go at them, instead of sitting back like most other teams. They were very fair in their assessment that FGR were hanging on in the end and we could have nicked a point.

Although I agree broadly with what you say, we as fans have waited years and years for "instant success". We seem to be in a perpetual state of building for next season. New managers, new players, new styles of play are a constant way of life at BP.

We always seem to be behind the curve and struggling to make an impact on the top half of the league. We have been mostly patient and loyal as a fan base I think.

Hoping Ollie is the one to change all that and I do think we will get better as the season progresses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 167
chipsandgravy
October 28, 2020, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings

Although I agree broadly with what you say, we as fans have waited years and years for "instant success". We seem to be in a perpetual state of building for next season. New managers, new players, new styles of play are a constant way of life at BP.

We always seem to be behind the curve and struggling to make an impact on the top half of the league. We have been mostly patient and loyal as a fan base I think.

Hoping Ollie is the one to change all that and I do think we will get better as the season progresses.

Yes agree. Although I do get annoyed at the constant "he must go" brigade who want instant success I do also think we have been patient. Particuarly with the merry go round of managers and players and all the cliches that go with it.

This season is like no other. Ordinary life is like no other. We cannot judge it like other seasons so from my point of view it's a free pass. I dont think for one minute Ollie would have had four loaned Under 23 players in his team/squad if things had been "normal". Given the age of some of those I dont think Tuesday was as bad as some people were making out. I am actually enjoying seeing some of the young players in our team and yes some need to improve and have more belief but after Tuesday I believe there at least giving there all. We have some decent players to come back in as well. I think we can improve and with all the players we have there I am sure there is a good team in there - we just haven't quite seen it yet!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 167
mimma
October 28, 2020, 8:57pm
Brandy Drinker
We got a glimpses of it away at Cheltenham and Orient, but injuries and changes has hampered the progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Forest Green Rovers (A) Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.