Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European League moves closer.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

European League moves closer.

This thread currently has 3,981 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 21, 2020, 10:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
I think this has been on the cards for years, but seems to be moving closer to reality,

Don't know what it would mean for the rest of the pyramid, but it would take a huge amount of money out of the English game. Not that it filters down our way of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54621189
Logged Offline
Private Message
barrattstandman
October 21, 2020, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Easy way to stop is to throw them out of the premier league and bring up numbers from below.  That would make them think twice . How many fans can travel abroad every 2 weeks . Pie in the sky again. The fans the biggest loser.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
louth_in_the_south
October 21, 2020, 11:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,689
Gold Stars: 96
Yeah but it works in the USA so that’s fine ...................

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Ipswin
October 21, 2020, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings
I think this has been on the cards for years, but seems to be moving closer to reality,

Don't know what it would mean for the rest of the pyramid, but it would take a huge amount of money out of the English game. Not that it filters down our way of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54621189

You don't think we'll be invited to be in it then?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 21, 2020, 11:43am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Ipswin

You don't think we'll be invited to be in it then?

I reckon we will just miss out this time!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 21, 2020, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from barrattstandman
Easy way to stop is to throw them out of the premier league and bring up numbers from below.  That would make them think twice . How many fans can travel abroad every 2 weeks . Pie in the sky again. The fans the biggest loser.

They don’t care because of tv revenue. The premier league turns clubs into green eyed monsters with all the money that is available. You only have to look at the bin dippers across the water for that.

Footballs heart and soul is being ripped away year by year, but, when you have ‘fans’ that live 4 hours away and only get to see them on their tv, why would the clubs care? As long as they get ground hoppers and tourists in every week paying inflated prices, why do they care? Football has been turned from a working mans game to a tv programme.

That’s what makes clubs like ours fu(king fantastic. I’d rather have a club and team that can bond with its support over a money crazed set of megalomaniacs any day

UTFM

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
GrimRob
October 21, 2020, 12:14pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
18 teams would say how many from England? Even if it's Western Europe, you wouldn't get all of the Big 6 and maybe 3 or 4 at most, e.g.

England 3
Spain 3
Germany 3
Italy 3
France 1
Portugal 1
Belgium 1
Netherlands 1
Greece 1
Austria 1

OR

England 4
Spain 4
Germany 4
Italy 3
France 1
Others 2

I think they'd be better having 2 leagues of 18 and a post season, more American style.

I'd like to see all the top clubs disappear and the rump of the Premier League return to the EFL which would just be "proper" clubs supported by mainly local supporters.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 32
jamesgtfc
October 21, 2020, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
It would be good to see every other year in between the major tournaments as an end of season mini-league.

4 groups of 6, top 2 progress into a one legged knock out after playing eachother once.

Open it up to the Champions League and Europa League winners plus domestic cup winners. Might make teams take the FA Cup and League Cup a bit more seriously.

I'm totally against a permanent breakout from the English game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Posh Harry
October 21, 2020, 1:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Football is eating itself.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
ginnywings
October 21, 2020, 1:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barrattstandman

They wouldn't need to be thrown out. They want to leave and only play against clubs they see worthy of them, not your Burnley's and Fulham's. Neither do they care about fans, as the TV money is what they are after. Besides, with cheap flights all over Europe, the fans would still attend anyway, not to mention the tourist fans the big 6 attract.

I've thought for years that this would come about eventually and now they are openly discussing it. Money will always win in the end and a European Super League is too attractive for the money men to pass up. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up with franchises as more and more American money men move into "soccer". You could one day see a team relocate; nothing would surprise me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European League moves closer.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.