Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European League moves closer.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 218 Guests

European League moves closer.

This thread currently has 3,938 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
October 22, 2020, 3:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Before the L2 season started I had no idea who would win the league. Still don't. A lot of people thought Bolton.

You can make some general guesses as to which clubs are likely to be there or thereabouts; similar for relegation. But we exist in an unpredictable league — I'm sure a few of us always consider this could be the year we make a tilt for the title!

And then we find ourselves in the bottom two, like under Newell.

It's a real shame that unpredictability doesn't exist the higher up the league you go. Villa have just won their first four games and in any other league, when asked whether you think you've got a shot at the title, Dean Smith would have said yes.

But the Premier League bleeds even the biggest dreamers dry, so instead he laughed it off — even after a mention of Leicester.

That, to me, is the hallmark of a league that's boring. No doubting the quality, but a few years ago I saw Garforth Town draw 4-4 with Harrogate Railway Athletic in the freezing cold for £5 and the quality on show was abysmal.

But it was entertaining and totally unpredictable (the equalising goal in the last minute was actually superb!). That's what I want from football.

Edit: I'm aware Villa beat Liverpool 7-2, and there are many examples of the Premier League being unpredictable. It can be unpredictable, it's just not very often.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
Bigdog
October 22, 2020, 4:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

They wouldn't need to be thrown out. They want to leave and only play against clubs they see worthy of them, not your Burnley's and Fulham's. Neither do they care about fans, as the TV money is what they are after. Besides, with cheap flights all over Europe, the fans would still attend anyway, not to mention the tourist fans the big 6 attract.

I've thought for years that this would come about eventually and now they are openly discussing it. Money will always win in the end and a European Super League is too attractive for the money men to pass up. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up with franchises as more and more American money men move into "soccer". You could one day see a team relocate; nothing would surprise me.

The five clubs involved have intimated that they would not withdraw from the the Premier League even if they played in a European Super League, in effect using the Premier League for their B teams. Incredibly pompous and at that point the English game should say no, realise the English game's pyramid worth and strength and set them adrift. After the initial novelty, an eighteen team European Super League will become incredibly stale while the competitiveness left in the Premier League and below will provide a more exciting sporting spectacle. Can't remember the last time I watched a Champions League game. Anyone else already bored of pretty much the same six teams filling the the top six places in the Premier League? Anyone else much prefer watching Championship games over the past few seasons?

Liverpool. Manure, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal leaving the EPL could be just what the English football industry needs and I hope we don't get to the stage where the powers that be in effect let them use the English pyramid for their B teams. There'll be less TV money around, but the funding won't drop off the end of the cliff like some would expect. English football would still have a lot to offer the paying public, and it could be a watershed for a meaningful and fair recallibration for all concerned..

Everton, Spurs, Villa, Leicester, Wolves, Leeds and probably half a dozen other clubs battling for the Premier League title would be fascinating and there would still be enough clubs around Europe to have a high quality competitive European competition. Fresh scenarios to interest and new clubs to learn more about rather than having Barca, Bayern, Real etc being shoved down our throats on a daily basis. I wouldn't be fussed about us losing "the big five" and they can take their greedy ignorant owners with them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
KingstonMariner
October 22, 2020, 6:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hope they will firk  off and leave the rest of English football

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European League moves closer.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.