Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar retired?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 147 Guests

Omar retired?

This thread currently has 11,434 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
October 3, 2020, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
He probably earned a pay rise coming here but the amount being offered by Wigan was probably life-changing. Money only makes you happy until a certain point and if you have enough of it, you can start focusing on enjoying life more.

I hope Bogle is in a good place mentally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2020, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

This is another argument I don’t fully understand. Without knowing the finer details of his contract at Wigan, I’m fairly confident that move will have earned Omar close to if not more than £1m, after tax. For a young man who would not have been exceptionally wealthy at the time, how was he meant to turn that down?

Should he have waited for a better offer from a bigger club? He signed for Wigan late on transfer deadline day; he could have held on and then gone and done his cruciate in training the next day. A bird in the hand and all that...

Completely get what you’re saying and agree about the earnings bit and that he may not be completely set for life but at least he had some options that you and I could only dream of.

My point was more about career “progression” at a sustainable pace rather than anything else and if he wanted to build on a good “full time” start then maybe going to a club at the next level (L1) under no threat of relegation or pushing for promotion where he may not start with big expectation may have given him more stability.

I was surprised he signed for Wigan as recent events have proved I’d suspected they where an accident about to happen, then again I would imagine his agent thought it was a great idea.

If he’s comfortable financially and doing what he’s passionate about (music?) then good luck to the kid.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
moosey_club
October 3, 2020, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
i enjoy my job, i am happy with my employer.....if a rival company came along and offered me 10 x or  20x my salary guaranteed for a couple of years i wouldnt have to think too long or hard about jumping ship and thinking if it doesnt work out i can retire on the improved finances anyway.

Just because you are good at something doesnt mean you want to do it for a living, you do whatever you can to achieve the best life you desire, if through his moves he no longer has to worry about finances then hats off to him for doing what he wants with the rest of his life to be happy.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
Rick12
October 3, 2020, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

This is another argument I don’t fully understand. Without knowing the finer details of his contract at Wigan, I’m fairly confident that move will have earned Omar close to if not more than £1m, after tax. For a young man who would not have been exceptionally wealthy at the time, how was he meant to turn that down?

I agree . Any footballer wants to go as high as possible and the money follows that.

I felt with Omar though that he was a good league 1 player at best and his inability to cut it at a higher level  dont surprise me. Hence if Iam comparing Siriki Dembele and Omar differing positions I know but  having seen the pair of them albeit not that much Dembele had more spark in him which I saw from day one and where I didnt see with Omar .Hence look at the stats and so far Dembele has done well at Peterborough  but Omar bar us and lower down the leagues hasnt really had any sustained success.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
KingstonMariner
October 3, 2020, 9:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’d still have him back in a shot. Most of what we’ve been discussing is pure speculation. What we do know is he scored more goals in half a season than any other player for us in the League going back to, what Drinkell, in a season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2020, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
I agree . Any footballer wants to go as high as possible and the money follows that.

I felt with Omar though that he was a good league 1 player at best and his inability to cut it at a higher level  dont surprise me. Hence if Iam comparing Siriki Dembele and Omar differing positions I know but  having seen the pair of them albeit not that much Dembele had more spark in him which I saw from day one and where I didnt see with Omar .Hence look at the stats and so far Dembele has done well at Peterborough  but Omar bar us and lower down the leagues hasnt really had any sustained success.

It’s a fine balance isn’t it? Learning your trade as a full time player versus securing your future in as shorter time as possible, in all honesty I’d go for the latter without a doubt.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
Gainsbro_Mariner
October 3, 2020, 11:04pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
The Bogle situation isn't one you can disect very easily. One thing this tells me is unfortunately he isn't and wasn't very keen to come back to BP, this summer, whether that's for monetary reasons or the fact he views himself as a standard above League Two, and let's face it he is.

It seems after finishing the year playing in the Eredivisie that he may have thought the offers would be ringing from bigger sides than us, and you can't blame him for thinking that because I'm sure most of us expected to see him ending up at Barnsley,  Peterborough or somewhere. He's decent Championship level striker, but at League One he would probably be deadly, let alone League Two. So no denying that if he had come back to us it would have been a monumentous effort by Ollie and the board.

As much as I love and respect the guy you gotta wonder whether some of his posts constitute as attention seeking, and maybe you've got to ask what would you rather do? Take a pay cut, return to the one club that has idolised you, play under an experienced ex Premier League manager and help them reach the next level or sit at home without a club, not earning a wage seemingly sulk and potentially wait for an offer that might not come.

The only way I see Omar coming back is if he really has the urge to play Football and he's sick of waiting for the right club to come along, and even then I would expect Holloway isn't the type of manager who likes to settle for being an 'it will do' option.

Really hard to say what's gonna happen next.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
RichMariner
October 3, 2020, 11:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
It'd be interesting to know why we couldn't strike a deal with Omar given that we know there were discussions.

Was it purely wage demands? Or could it be something else, given that it now seems like he's got an eye on something outside of football? Perhaps he wants to go part-time but still play at the highest possible level, but we couldn't agree on that deal.

Other than Ollie, Fenty, Day and Omar himself, who really knows.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2020, 12:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
It'd be interesting to know why we couldn't strike a deal with Omar given that we know there were discussions.

Was it purely wage demands? Or could it be something else, given that it now seems like he's got an eye on something outside of football? Perhaps he wants to go part-time but still play at the highest possible level, but we couldn't agree on that deal.

Other than Ollie, Fenty, Day and Omar himself, who really knows.

His agent ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
toontown
October 4, 2020, 2:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
In his interview for the BBC about being an out of contract footballer during covid he said that his main aim was all about playing at the highest level possible. I agree with those above that if town were the only club with concrete offers then maybe he has been very surprised and isn't willing to drop down to league 2 so would rather retire than do that. Perhaps his pride getting the better of him.
Really surprised if that is the case both that he wouldn't at least get a league 1 offer and that he would rather retire than at least play out one more contract having a proper crack at first team footy especially somewhere he would have the fans behind him, he hasnt played much for years. Maybe he has just fallen out of love with the game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar retired?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.