Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: paramariner, October 3, 2020, 12:29pm
According to the Telewag, Omar has shown pics of his boots hung up with the date 22 September 2020 on his Instagram account!
He has also closed his twitter account šŸ¤”.
Posted by: Mariner_501, October 3, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 1
Canā€™t see anything on his instagram now. Always has came across as a proper attention seeker
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 3, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 2
Seems a strange move unless he's carrying some kind of injury we are not aware of.
Posted by: golfer, October 3, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 3
He has started writing music and I understand he was thinking of doing it full time
Posted by: rancido, October 3, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from golfer
He has started writing music and I understand he was thinking of doing it full time

Obviously inspired by Blur ;)
Posted by: denni266, October 3, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 5
Could just be a smoke screen
Posted by: mimma, October 3, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 6
It also said that Holloway had had talks with him, to play for us again, but Omar turned us down. Seems to me that he has lost his appetite for the game and wants to turn his hand to something else.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 7
It would be a shame if he has as I firmly believe if he was given a good run of games in a L1/L2 side (apart from the Gimps or the Scunts) heā€™d be a regular scorer again.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 8
Sure he could find the time to combine L2 football for town and a successful music writing career . Maybe Holloway should offer a grand piano in his contract negotiations
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 3, 2020, 3:40pm; Reply: 9
I suspect he wants to live closer to his roots and he is not enamoured with the rigours of the pro game. It came easy for a start then he had to work for it and he would rather not. If he came back to BP  it would be more bother than heā€™s worth.
Posted by: LH, October 3, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 10
Probably closed his Twitter account to stop weirdo Town fans asking him when heā€™s signing over and over.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 3, 2020, 3:54pm; Reply: 11
I know Town possibly aren't the best option to sign for at moment but it's a bit drastic to rather retire!!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 3, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 12
Maybe Town is the best offer he had and has thought  'if thats it I may as well give up'   :o
Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
I know Town possibly aren't the best option to sign for at moment but it's a bit drastic to rather retire!!

Town have a record of signing players who should have retired or who retired as soon as they turned out for Town  ;D

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 14
I suspect he wants to live closer to his roots and he is not enamoured with the rigours of the pro game. It came easy for a start then he had to work for it and he would rather not. If he came back to BP  it would be more bother than heā€™s worth.

Bit harsh....

Posted by: denni266, October 3, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 15
I think money will be the main problem , but he knows the fans love him and want him  so that must go a long way with any one .. And yes you can still play football and write songs. Dont know if he plays any instrument ? But i did it for years and still play guitar and write now.  well past football now lol
Posted by: ska face, October 3, 2020, 4:14pm; Reply: 16

Bizarre imagination youā€™ve got.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 3, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 17
I suspect the reason he didnā€™t sign for us is because heā€™d prefer to be paid in cash...and probably took one look at the squad and thought ā€˜nah...I left a far better side than thatā€™
Posted by: Ipswin, October 3, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from aldi_01
.and probably took one look at the squad and thought ā€˜nah...I left a far better side than thatā€™

He probably did (almost any side would be better than ours at the moment) but he couldn't get in it!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 3, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ska face

Bizarre imagination youā€™ve got.

If you have a player with a regular record of starting OK at a new club and then being left out it takes no imagination at all to see it will happen again. Just look at his record since he left Town.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 3, 2020, 5:30pm; Reply: 20
Think it's time to drop the romance with Bogle, absolutely will remain in our hearts forever for his goals, certainly at Wembley but the stark reality is he's not cut it at a higher level, maybe he's come to realise that himself and rather than take a backwards step he thinks it's best to walk away from the game and try a new venture. He's earned some good coin as since leaving BP and is hoping he can make at a song writer, something he probably has more passion for rather than football. I'll wish him all the best and thank him for what he did for us..
Posted by: Kris2, October 3, 2020, 5:46pm; Reply: 21
Sometimes people get tired of a career even if it's something they did well at and want a change before it's too late. We had a goalkeeper who didn't actually want to play and then decided they'd rather play cricket so maybe Omar decided his calling is elsewhere. He could still play part time football as he focuses on something else. He could carry on as a pro but maybe the time off due to Covid made him think about what he wants and how much of his time football eats up.

If he did retire for a career change then I'll wish him well in his future endeavours and respect for his time with us.  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 3, 2020, 5:53pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[/b]

Bit harsh....

Not really Herts. He did well for us over a relatively short time and we sold him on for a profit so we thank him for that. But since then ...... ?

Posted by: ska face, October 3, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 23

If you have a player with a regular record of starting OK at a new club and then being left out it takes no imagination at all to see it will happen again. Just look at his record since he left Town.

How have you managed to deduce that his record since leaving town (in the Championship, top end of L1 and Dutch prem) is a because heā€™d ā€œrather not do the workā€, as opposed to maybe just struggling to make a success of going from Conference north up 4 divisions in 18 months?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 24

Not really Herts. He did well for us over a relatively short time and we sold him on for a profit so we thank him for that. But since then ...... ?

Moving to Wigan was a good move for us in terms of a profit but a bad move for him after only 7 months playing at EFL level and only a year prior to that at full time.

Going to a p1ss poor Championship side was a silly move he wasnā€™t the answer for Wigan and Wigan in their situation at the time wasnā€™t the answer for him.

He then went to a yo yo club (at best) when he signed for Cardiff. He was with Warnock for a bit and Iā€™d suggest if he had an attitude problem Warnock would have had him down the road permanently rather than loaning him out.

From a career development point of view moving to a relegation threatened club or one that looks to be consistently chasing the dream requires an immediate impact something that Omar with very limited full time experience was unlikely to deliver.

The retirement bit is interesting though as  as heā€™s not been picked up yet maybe heā€™s thinking itā€™s time to look at something else. Maybe like Osborne heā€™ll go back to being a big fish in a small pond.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 3, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe like Osborne heā€™ll go back to being a big fish in a small pond.

I was hoping he'd do that at GTFC!
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 26

8 goals in 21 starts (50 appearances in total) in the Championship? Thatā€™s literally a more impressive recent record than any striker weā€™ve signed in probably the last 15 years or so. A fit Omar Bogle would be the best striker in League Two by some margin in my opinion.

Regardless, I hope whateverā€™s going on in Omarā€™s life heā€™s in a good place. Heā€™ll always be up there as one of my all-time Town heroes - his three goals in the play-offs in 2016 were so, so important for us. His contribution to GTFC should never be forgotten.
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Going to a p1ss poor Championship side was a silly move he wasnā€™t the answer for Wigan and Wigan in their situation at the time wasnā€™t the answer for him.

This is another argument I donā€™t fully understand. Without knowing the finer details of his contract at Wigan, Iā€™m fairly confident that move will have earned Omar close to if not more than Ā£1m, after tax. For a young man who would not have been exceptionally wealthy at the time, how was he meant to turn that down?

Should he have waited for a better offer from a bigger club? He signed for Wigan late on transfer deadline day; he could have held on and then gone and done his cruciate in training the next day. A bird in the hand and all that...
Posted by: gtfc82, October 3, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 28
Very drastic if he has quit. He only had one and a half seasons here, so to go straight to the Championship after that little experience, no wonder he's struggled. He should have gone back a few steps and started again, possibly in League One. I'm sure some clubs would have been in contact with him. I'm sure his ego has played a part in it if he has just given up.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2020, 7:53pm; Reply: 29
He needs to sort himself out and make the most of his ability .
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 3, 2020, 8:20pm; Reply: 30
He probably earned a pay rise coming here but the amount being offered by Wigan was probably life-changing. Money only makes you happy until a certain point and if you have enough of it, you can start focusing on enjoying life more.

I hope Bogle is in a good place mentally.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Poojah

This is another argument I donā€™t fully understand. Without knowing the finer details of his contract at Wigan, Iā€™m fairly confident that move will have earned Omar close to if not more than Ā£1m, after tax. For a young man who would not have been exceptionally wealthy at the time, how was he meant to turn that down?

Should he have waited for a better offer from a bigger club? He signed for Wigan late on transfer deadline day; he could have held on and then gone and done his cruciate in training the next day. A bird in the hand and all that...

Completely get what youā€™re saying and agree about the earnings bit and that he may not be completely set for life but at least he had some options that you and I could only dream of.

My point was more about career ā€œprogressionā€ at a sustainable pace rather than anything else and if he wanted to build on a good ā€œfull timeā€ start then maybe going to a club at the next level (L1) under no threat of relegation or pushing for promotion where he may not start with big expectation may have given him more stability.

I was surprised he signed for Wigan as recent events have proved Iā€™d suspected they where an accident about to happen, then again I would imagine his agent thought it was a great idea.

If heā€™s comfortable financially and doing what heā€™s passionate about (music?) then good luck to the kid.

Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 32
i enjoy my job, i am happy with my employer.....if a rival company came along and offered me 10 x or  20x my salary guaranteed for a couple of years i wouldnt have to think too long or hard about jumping ship and thinking if it doesnt work out i can retire on the improved finances anyway.

Just because you are good at something doesnt mean you want to do it for a living, you do whatever you can to achieve the best life you desire, if through his moves he no longer has to worry about finances then hats off to him for doing what he wants with the rest of his life to be happy.
Posted by: Rick12, October 3, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Poojah

I agree . Any footballer wants to go as high as possible and the money follows that.

I felt with Omar though that he was a good league 1 player at best and his inability to cut it at a higher level  dont surprise me. Hence if Iam comparing Siriki Dembele and Omar differing positions I know but  having seen the pair of them albeit not that much Dembele had more spark in him which I saw from day one and where I didnt see with Omar .Hence look at the stats and so far Dembele has done well at Peterborough  but Omar bar us and lower down the leagues hasnt really had any sustained success.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 3, 2020, 9:47pm; Reply: 34
Iā€™d still have him back in a shot. Most of what weā€™ve been discussing is pure speculation. What we do know is he scored more goals in half a season than any other player for us in the League going back to, what Drinkell, in a season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2020, 9:51pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Rick12
I agree . Any footballer wants to go as high as possible and the money follows that.

I felt with Omar though that he was a good league 1 player at best and his inability to cut it at a higher level  dont surprise me. Hence if Iam comparing Siriki Dembele and Omar differing positions I know but  having seen the pair of them albeit not that much Dembele had more spark in him which I saw from day one and where I didnt see with Omar .Hence look at the stats and so far Dembele has done well at Peterborough  but Omar bar us and lower down the leagues hasnt really had any sustained success.

Itā€™s a fine balance isnā€™t it? Learning your trade as a full time player versus securing your future in as shorter time as possible, in all honesty Iā€™d go for the latter without a doubt.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, October 3, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 36
The Bogle situation isn't one you can disect very easily. One thing this tells me is unfortunately he isn't and wasn't very keen to come back to BP, this summer, whether that's for monetary reasons or the fact he views himself as a standard above League Two, and let's face it he is.

It seems after finishing the year playing in the Eredivisie that he may have thought the offers would be ringing from bigger sides than us, and you can't blame him for thinking that because I'm sure most of us expected to see him ending up at Barnsley,  Peterborough or somewhere. He's decent Championship level striker, but at League One he would probably be deadly, let alone League Two. So no denying that if he had come back to us it would have been a monumentous effort by Ollie and the board.

As much as I love and respect the guy you gotta wonder whether some of his posts constitute as attention seeking, and maybe you've got to ask what would you rather do? Take a pay cut, return to the one club that has idolised you, play under an experienced ex Premier League manager and help them reach the next level or sit at home without a club, not earning a wage seemingly sulk and potentially wait for an offer that might not come.

The only way I see Omar coming back is if he really has the urge to play Football and he's sick of waiting for the right club to come along, and even then I would expect Holloway isn't the type of manager who likes to settle for being an 'it will do' option.

Really hard to say what's gonna happen next.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 3, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 37
It'd be interesting to know why we couldn't strike a deal with Omar given that we know there were discussions.

Was it purely wage demands? Or could it be something else, given that it now seems like he's got an eye on something outside of football? Perhaps he wants to go part-time but still play at the highest possible level, but we couldn't agree on that deal.

Other than Ollie, Fenty, Day and Omar himself, who really knows.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 4, 2020, 12:18am; Reply: 38
Quoted from RichMariner
It'd be interesting to know why we couldn't strike a deal with Omar given that we know there were discussions.

Was it purely wage demands? Or could it be something else, given that it now seems like he's got an eye on something outside of football? Perhaps he wants to go part-time but still play at the highest possible level, but we couldn't agree on that deal.

Other than Ollie, Fenty, Day and Omar himself, who really knows.

His agent ....
Posted by: toontown, October 4, 2020, 2:16am; Reply: 39
In his interview for the BBC about being an out of contract footballer during covid he said that his main aim was all about playing at the highest level possible. I agree with those above that if town were the only club with concrete offers then maybe he has been very surprised and isn't willing to drop down to league 2 so would rather retire than do that. Perhaps his pride getting the better of him.
Really surprised if that is the case both that he wouldn't at least get a league 1 offer and that he would rather retire than at least play out one more contract having a proper crack at first team footy especially somewhere he would have the fans behind him, he hasnt played much for years. Maybe he has just fallen out of love with the game.
Posted by: Rick12, October 4, 2020, 8:33am; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Itā€™s a fine balance isnā€™t it? Learning your trade as a full time player versus securing your future in as shorter time as possible, in all honesty Iā€™d go for the latter without a doubt.
100%. In all honesty though Iam a bit surprised that Omar has allegedly hung up his boots . Only 27 and has played 50 times in the championship which is decent in itself. A lot of lower league players eg league 1 and league 2 will never achieve that so credit where its due.

I imagine as well his possible retirement maybe  due to loosing love with the game due to the unpredictability and stress of it all. Hence higher up the leagues there is better quality and your place is not as  guaranteed as it was say for Grimsby.
Posted by: golfer, October 4, 2020, 9:09am; Reply: 41
I think if we had offered him Ā£100K straight he would have signed but with various "virus" clauses it would have reduced this considerably - and under the present conditions there is no way that we dared not include virus clauses as with a lot of other clubs. I hope he is keeping himself fit - just in case.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 4, 2020, 11:33am; Reply: 42
I might be looking through rose tinted specs but maybe the reason Omar didnā€™t join us was he knew his heart wasnā€™t in it and he respected GTFC too much to put us through that?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 4, 2020, 11:37am; Reply: 43
In the end this is all idle speculation based on no written info whatsoever on twatter/instantcrap etc.
Posted by: devs, October 4, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 44
He's a drama queen
But it says something I think that a player who was once sold for a million and is still relatively young...no one wants him
Attitude?
Posted by: Yoda, October 4, 2020, 3:19pm; Reply: 45
His problem is no one wants to pay him 8 grand a week.
Posted by: Yossarian, October 19, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 46
The reality is somewhat more prosaic...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f807fdb1bc40/done-deal-striker-omar-bogle-joins-the-addicks
Posted by: oochiad, October 19, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 47
Excellent news; Iā€™ll look forward to checking his progress with them. Iā€™ll never forget what he did for us, good luck Omar!! UTMM!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 19, 2020, 4:50pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Yossarian

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1602258136/s-0/
Posted by: Yossarian, October 19, 2020, 4:51pm; Reply: 49
doh!  Thanks Promotion Plaice - didn't see that!  I thought I was being smart!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 19, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Yossarian
doh!  Thanks Promotion Plaice - didn't see that!  I thought I was being smart!

No problem mate   :)

Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:14pm