3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 29, 2020, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Yet Liverpool are still playing Arsenal this Thu in the cup.  No mention of any games postponed.
The club saying that they are following protocols.

Interestedly, the club doctor said it is up to each player if they publically announce a positive test.  Does this mean that Curran could have kept quiet about his positive result?  Inventing an injury to keep him away or a domestic illness meaning that he had to go home.

Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
September 29, 2020, 8:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,620
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Interestedly, the club doctor said it is up to each player if they publically announce a positive test.  Does this mean that Curran could have kept quiet about his positive result?

He would’ve had a job on after motor-mouth Holloway gave him up in two separate interviews.

Anyway, our games were only postponed because the club stated they couldn’t fulfil the fixtures, nobody else called them off for us.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
It Bites
September 29, 2020, 9:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,174
Gold Stars: 259
I smell a rat
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
LondonMariner43
September 29, 2020, 10:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
The whole thing is a mess.  The government guidelines are that if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive then you need to self isolate for 14 days.  Town seem to be following these guidelines so why aren’t other clubs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
mimma
September 29, 2020, 11:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Big clubs test all their staff on a regular basis because they have the money to do it. Thiago was probably the only player to come back as positive, the rest negative, therefore there is no need to isolate any other players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Heisenberg
September 30, 2020, 6:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from mimma
Big clubs test all their staff on a regular basis because they have the money to do it. Thiago was probably the only player to come back as positive, the rest negative, therefore there is no need to isolate any other players.

But there’s the 5-day gestation period to consider, as mentioned by Phillip Day......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
aldi_01
September 30, 2020, 6:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So it simply seems like we’ve interpreted the guidance one way and other clubs another way?

I guess if we’ve said we can’t fulfil our fixtures, regardless of Covid I’d expect us to receive a fine/points deduction potentially. Doesn’t make it right but it’s probably a possibility.

It’s all a mess. We had a woman at work who tested negative 3 times but because her mother had allegedly tested positive she was advised to isolate...then we had someone do the same and they weren’t.

So confusing and contradictory, I think I’m off to Barnard Castle, I’ve heard it’s nice and hopefully it’ll release some stress...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Stadium
September 30, 2020, 9:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from LondonMariner43
The whole thing is a mess.  The government guidelines are that if you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive then you need to self isolate for 14 days.  Town seem to be following these guidelines so why aren’t other clubs?

"Close contact"  which has definition's.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
ginnywings
September 30, 2020, 10:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face

He would’ve had a job on after motor-mouth Holloway gave him up in two separate interviews.

Anyway, our games were only postponed because the club stated they couldn’t fulfil the fixtures, nobody else called them off for us.

It does seem on the face of it that we did indeed do this, unlike other sides who went ahead regardless. There doesn't seem to be any financial imperative for them to do so; not unless you count any money they may receive from iFollow, which can't be a lot for a club like Stevenage. Perhaps got a bit more than usual as they were playing Bradford, who have a large following by League 2 standards.

We however, have covid clauses, and these were mentioned by Bradford in their missives, so they obviously think that we are pulling a fast one, along with us having a poor start to the season and being generally out of sorts on the pitch. They also think we are all for a curtailment of the season and are using this as a way of pushing that agenda. Would be nice if the club told us a bit more about why they feel the need to postpone games and Stevenage don't. It's baffling.

Are we following EFL specific guidelines, or general government ones?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
The Yard Dog
September 30, 2020, 10:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ginnywings

It does seem on the face of it that we did indeed do this, unlike other sides who went ahead regardless. There doesn't seem to be any financial imperative for them to do so; not unless you count any money they may receive from iFollow, which can't be a lot for a club like Stevenage. Perhaps got a bit more than usual as they were playing Bradford, who have a large following by League 2 standards.

We however, have covid clauses, and these were mentioned by Bradford in their missives, so they obviously think that we are pulling a fast one, along with us having a poor start to the season and being generally out of sorts on the pitch. They also think we are all for a curtailment of the season and are using this as a way of pushing that agenda.[/b] Would be nice if the club told us a bit more about why they feel the need to postpone games[b] and Stevenage don't. It's baffling.

Are we following EFL specific guidelines, or general government ones?

Thought the club had, hence the statement below

Following medical advice received from the EFL, our own medical team and in line with current Government guidelines, members of our first team playing and management staff continue to self-isolate due to a recent positive COVID-19 test being identified within the squad.  

As a result, our Sky Bet League Two fixture at home to Bradford City, scheduled for Saturday 3rd October has now been postponed.

With the required period of self-isolation continuing into the middle of next week, our EFL Trophy fixture away at Hull City, scheduled for Tuesday 6th October has also had to be postponed.

Details regarding the rearrangement of our postponed fixtures will be released once arrangements have been made between all clubs involved.

How can the club comment on why Stevenage went ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
ginnywings
September 30, 2020, 11:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Fair enough, hadn't seen that before. Does suggest that we are following government guidelines, but still begs the question as to why Stevenage are not. The only consistency is the inconsistency.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
The Yard Dog
September 30, 2020, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Fair enough, hadn't seen that before. Does suggest that we are following government guidelines, but still begs the question as to why Stevenage are not. The only consistency is the inconsistency.

No worries

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
RichMariner
September 30, 2020, 3:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
So Jock Curran got tested for Covid-19, his result was positive and therefore needed to self-isolate — as did everyone else he may have come into contact with i.e. the entire squad, since he'd been training with them.

If Thiago tested positive for Covid-19 then, unless he was training in isolation already, I don't really understand why Liverpool's first team aren't now self-isolating?

Also, has Spalding's squad been self-isolating? Appreciate they are part time but had he been training with them too?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Stadium
September 30, 2020, 4:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
So Jock Curran got tested for Covid-19, his result was positive and therefore needed to self-isolate — as did everyone else he may have come into contact with i.e. the entire squad, since he'd been training with them.

If Thiago tested positive for Covid-19 then, unless he was training in isolation already, I don't really understand why Liverpool's first team aren't now self-isolating?

Also, has Spalding's squad been self-isolating? Appreciate they are part time but had he been training with them too?

What happens if a Premier League player tests positive?

Players or club staff who have tested positive for coronavirus will self-isolate and quarantine for a period of 10 days.

“If a player tests positive, it’s only him and his family who need to isolate, not anybody else,” confirmed the Premier League’s medical advisor, Dr Mark Gillett.

Covid-19 testing protocol lies in accordance with UK government guidelines.

Similarly, if players or staff members show symptoms of Covid-19 but test negative, they will still need to self-isolate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
forza ivano
September 30, 2020, 6:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
I'm just beginning to wonder if we've played a fast one here.
Holloway hasn't managed 1000+ games without being a bit clever/cute.
2 week individual training plan gets the players up to speed fitness wise,  injured players recover and lo and behold in 2 weeks time we are effectively restarting the season with a complete squad all fully fit and raring to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
pontoonlew
September 30, 2020, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,987
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from forza ivano
2 week individual training plan gets the players up to speed fitness wise,  injured players recover and lo and behold in 2 weeks time we are effectively restarting the season with a complete squad all fully fit and raring to go

You’re only just realising we’ve pulled a fast one?!

Only problem with this fast one is that we’re going to have zero match preparation and an absolute stinker of a fixture pile up in an already hectic fixture list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Posh Harry
September 30, 2020, 9:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from forza ivano

2 week individual training plans are not a lot of use if you don’t have a gym or a very big garden to do training in. I doubt if many of the players on the wages they are on have that option. Self isolation means you  are not allowed to leave your home, even for exercise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2020, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
If anyone thinks there isn’t one rule for the rich and one rule for the poor they’re deluded.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
GrimRob
September 30, 2020, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from forza ivano

That's obviously what Spragger Sparks thinks. But can you really see our fully fit squad emerging from two weeks spent training alone in the garden functioning as a coherent whole against opposition who spend every day training together?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 29
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2020, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimRob

That's obviously what Spragger Sparks thinks. But can you really see our fully fit squad emerging from two weeks spent training alone in the garden functioning as a coherent whole against opposition who spend every day training together?

Once you’re on the payroll your fitness program can be heavily measured by using one of those vests they wear and a lap top with Greg on the other end of it.

When you’re a free agent yeah you’ll be training but not at the level of an employed player.

What you won’t be is match sharp and cohesive so we might be able to run longer but doubt the football will be any better.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
forza ivano
September 30, 2020, 10:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Well according to the premier league doc, only immediate family need to self isolate not team mates.
I'm sure it's much too far fetched to think of a scenario where there was small group training sessions a long, long way away from lincolnshire🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
GrimRob
October 1, 2020, 9:53am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from forza ivano
Well according to the premier league doc, only immediate family need to self isolate not team mates.
I'm sure it's much too far fetched to think of a scenario where there was small group training sessions a long, long way away from lincolnshire🤔

They are testing players and other club employees regularly though in the PL though, not immediate family.  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 29
RichMariner
October 1, 2020, 11:20am
Brandy Drinker
Just so I'm clear...

If we were a Premier League club, and Jock Curran tested positive for Covid-19, then only he would have to self-isolate and the rest of the squad could continue as normal (and therefore we'd be able to play matches)?

The PL say that's in line with government guidance, and yet what we've done is also being claimed as in line with protocols.

Hmm.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
The Yard Dog
October 1, 2020, 1:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Just so I'm clear...

If we were a Premier League club, and Jock Curran tested positive for Covid-19, then only he would have to self-isolate and the rest of the squad could continue as normal (and therefore we'd be able to play matches)?

The PL say that's in line with government guidance, and yet what we've done is also being claimed as in line with protocols.

Hmm.

Premier teams are testing every player and staff, were as we are not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Stadium
October 1, 2020, 1:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Just so I'm clear...

Hmm.

Correct
PL are testing all players and support staff regularly and hence comply to the guidelines.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
pen penfras
October 1, 2020, 3:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RichMariner
Just so I'm clear...

Hmm.

What doesn't make sense is why don't Salford, Scunthorpe, Stevenage and whoever else has had positive tests have to self isolate? You can clearly see from the 17 affected Leyton Orient players that it spreads through the training setup easily.

The reality is that players will almost certainly be fine after having it, but if that's the case then just say it rather than this ridiculous situation where clubs seem to have to make their own decisions based on advisors that interpret a set of vague regulations differently and then claim that they've been socially distancing so it's ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
MarinerDevil
October 1, 2020, 5:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 80
Our trophy tie with Hull has now been rearranged for 17th November at 17:30.  Suggests that our league games will also be rearranged and we'll avoid forfeiting them, at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
RichMariner
October 1, 2020, 10:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Premier teams are testing every player and staff, were as we are not.

I see — so had we tested all our players and none showed up as negative then Jock Curran would've self-isolated and everyone else would've continued to train as normal.

I'm guessing we didn't test everyone else because of the cost implication, or could there be another reason?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Croxton
October 1, 2020, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RichMariner

I see — so had we tested all our players and none showed up as negative then Jock Curran would've self-isolated and everyone else would've continued to train as normal.

I'm guessing we didn't test everyone else because of the cost implication, or could there be another reason?

Did you mean 'positive?'     Club statement explains why we didn't test the whole squad.

ttps://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/september/club-statement/

Philip Day says that it is not viable to test everyone regularly. Many clubs take the same approach until a case is found but respond differently e.g. Stevenage. EFL says each club is responsible for following their own medical advice. Hence the mess!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
aldi_01
October 2, 2020, 6:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think that’s what this all is; a mess. On so many levels. Clubs literally able to make up their approach, a league that is seemingly a rudderless ship and fans stuck in the middle wondering why some teams play and some don’t.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thiago self -isolating after positive test

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.