September 23, 2020, 8:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Devastating news yesterday from the government

How on earth do Town survive this??

How do they continue to pay wages and the bills etc without money coming in??

Surely the funds will dry up soon

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
pen penfras
September 23, 2020, 8:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -159
Gold Stars: 71
I imagine our hopes of a proven striker are now out the window. On the flip side, other clubs seem to have been much more reckless and will probably be in very bad situations unless some form of bailout is in the pipeline
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
davmariner
September 23, 2020, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,847
Gold Stars: 75
Should never have restarted the season before the green light was given for fans to return. F.uck you EFL. There will be lower league clubs that go bust because of you.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
Mallyner
September 23, 2020, 9:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 22
All we can do now is those who can afford it, to support Town to the hilt by buying season tickets, or buying each game on ifollow. At least it will give them some income.

I'm sorry I have revised this now, I meant ifollow not iplayer.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
supertown
September 23, 2020, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,409
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from davmariner
Should never have restarted the season before the green light was given for fans to return. F.uck you EFL. There will be lower league clubs that go bust because of you.

Hardly their fault is it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
Heisenberg
September 23, 2020, 9:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,760
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mallyner
All we can do now is those who can afford it, to support Town to the hilt by buying season tickets, or buying each game on iPlayer. At least it will give them some income.

Don't try to buy any games on iPlayer, the BBC don't have rights.........

However, without being sarcastic this time, we have to support the club by paying for iFollow, and actually I believe if we get enough subscriptions, and presumably us being Town fans it's OUR club that gets SOME money even from away games, we can get through this.  Not with the same income, but definitely not zero.  We have a responsibility now.  There is a certain irony in this, as I vowed to give Saturday a  miss after watching 3 straight defeats on iFollow, but I'm gonna have to practise what I preach now!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
Heisenberg
September 23, 2020, 9:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,760
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Heisenberg

Don't try to buy any games on iPlayer, the BBC don't have rights.........

However, without being sarcastic this time, we have to support the club by paying for iFollow, and actually I believe if we get enough subscriptions, and presumably us being Town fans it's OUR club that gets SOME money even from away games, we can get through this.  Not with the same income, but definitely not zero.  We have a responsibility now.  There is a certain irony in this, as I vowed to give Saturday a  miss after watching 3 straight defeats on iFollow, but I'm gonna have to practise what I preach now!!

I've just read that Colchester statement explaining the income from iFollow - let's hope we can smash through 500 for ALL away games, but I fear we may fall a bit shy like they have so far.  However, fingers crossed........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
denni266
September 23, 2020, 9:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 125
I cant see the season going past november. for one reason or another . There is going to be more important things than a game of football unless a miracle happens . you cannot run any business  or home or car without money coming in end of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
Poojah
September 23, 2020, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
The club appears to have budgeted based on what would have been capacity crowds this season; around the 2,000 mark. They now have the value 1,300 season tickets (which look as though they will become iFollow season tickets now), and so they're working to a deficit of 700 tickets per match.

Philip Day suggested this would equate to a loss of £250k over the course of the season, though you'd hope a portion would be offset slightly by iFollow payments. Much of that will depend on how we go on to do this season of course; there aren't too many people who are going to be happy shelling out £10 a week to watch Town struggle in an empty, atmosphere-less stadium, particularly if at some point the spectre of relegation is removed.

I firmly believe that so long as this crisis doesn't run past the end of this season and into next, Town will be ok. The club has faced bigger deficits than this before. I do however fear for some clubs; it's hard to see all of the EFL 72 coming through this completely unscathed.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
pontoonlew
September 23, 2020, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,703
Gold Stars: 162
I’d like to think the government and EFL are now in discussions to ensure something can be done about this.

The excuse as to why fans can’t gather outside is weak at best, they’re blaming it on the pubs outside essentially. Yet people can gather outside of shopping centres every Saturday and even if you are in a pub pre-match, it’s 6 per table at a distance, as per the guidelines. So how does it make any sense whatsoever?

I’m probably over optimistic but I do think either a cash payment or a compromise will come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No fans till March

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.