arryarryarry
September 23, 2020, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Heisenberg

The ironic thing is we don't need Blundell Park right now, even the main pitch at Bradley would do.

ISDN lines would need putting in, seats for journalists, TV gantry, the IFollow boxes that send live feeds to and from the ground.

It's not just a case of turning up and playing.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
monkeyboy
September 23, 2020, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
I would happily set up a direct debit for 20 quid a month to the club while no crowds are allowed and that’s without the ifollow subscriptions.
A thousand fans that do that is 20 grand a month or 120 grand for six months. For a fiver a week it would go a massive way to keeping the club in the black and on top of that you can add in the ifollow income.

A thousand fans doing that sounds a lot but is it really?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
Stadium
September 23, 2020, 9:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from monkeyboy
I would happily set up a direct debit for 20 quid a month to the club while no crowds are allowed and that’s without the ifollow subscriptions.
A thousand fans that do that is 20 grand a month or 120 grand for six months. For a fiver a week it would go a massive way to keeping the club in the black and on top of that you can add in the ifollow income.

A thousand fans doing that sounds a lot but is it really?

Or maybe some government support ??
The sum above is nothing in the grand scheme.
The arts received 1.57 billion pounds.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
male private Nale
September 23, 2020, 10:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -806
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Absolutely sick of this. As others have said, people gathering is permitted to an extent elsewhere, so just allow a restricted number of socially distanced people with masks into the grounds. Everyone going knows the risks.

My dad turned 77 in March just before this all kicked off and we went out for a meal. He's not at death's door but he's got quite a few health problems. He soberingly told me that he thinks he's got 2 or 3 years maximum left on this earth. We're told that all these restrictions are to protect people like him. Well, he doesn't want it. He's now lost 6 months of life and is being served up a pale imitation of the game he loves. What's he being protected from? He's effectively being asked to quietly die at home with his favourite pasttime ripped away from him, otherwise there's a risk he might die. Either way, his life has effectively already ended.

Treat the virus seriously, absolutely. But typically vaccines take 10 to 15 years to develop. We can't just wait and watch lower league football disappear.

My father in law the same, 90 year old was out everyday, not far just to the shops but it gave him purpose... fast forward 6 months of being shielded etc. he can no longer get out his chair, let alone stroll along lord street etc. Killing them with kindness unfortunately. Is this going to be the new norm every Autumn the fear and panic grips the nation and we grind to a standstill for 6 months?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
diehardmariner
September 24, 2020, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,096
Gold Stars: 520
Something else to consider here is that the club may now need to issue refunds to those who bought season tickets.

Terms and conditions stated no refunds if the season was curtailed.  But they then, rather loosely, said that refunds will be given if entry is denied before any actual games commence, i.e those in October.

This would be an almighty hole in the clubs budget, even if they convert them to iFollow passes you'll expect that some people will want the difference refunding (understandably too).  Some will write it off, but not all.  Some season ticket holders might not have the facility to watch streams.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
jamesgtfc
September 24, 2020, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
We messed up here. The club should have come out and said for this season only, season tickets are reduced. This is what I would do:

Purchasing wouldn't guarantee entry and no refunds would be given but whilst capacity is capped below 50%, fans can watch online so I would cap these tickets at 4000.

Charge tickets at £185 per bubble. For that you get 1 iFollow season ticket for home games (£8 per game instead of £10).

If your bubble contains 2 households then a portion will go round to someones house to watch the game but some will pay the £185 to watch them all in their own home.

When fans are allowed back it would be an absolute bargain as you could have a family of 4 having paid £185. Consider though that we have sold 1300 season tickets. I assume a number will be concessions but if you discard that and assume they are all full price, I think this deal would have sold more than 2600.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
RichMariner
September 24, 2020, 11:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I feel conflicted about people doing things at their own risk.

I absolutely see why you'd want to take the risk and enjoy a 'normal' life, especially if you're old. As Meanwood says, you'd want to have a fulfilling life, if you know you haven't got many more years ahead of you, doing the things you want to do.

However, if people were free to go to football at their own risk, it's not just your life you're risking. The greater risk is spreading the disease, forcing more people into hospitals, onto ventilators and overwhelming the NHS to the point where they can't look after other people with other diseases and conditions.

Our healthcare system barely coped in the first place because it was underfunded and understaffed. Then we were hit by Covid. If things escalate as they did in the spring because we're free to take our own risks then unfortunately more people will die — not just those with covid, but those with cancer, heart problems, etc.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
MeanwoodMariner
September 24, 2020, 12:37pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I'm not advocating a free-for-all. I'm just calling for a bit more "creative adaptation" to our new world across all sectors, not just football.

But football's a good, clear example of how it could progress. Let a tiny number of people into games, all wearing masks, with nobody within X seats of each other. As everyone gets accustomed to the logistics of it all, gradually increase the number. Start with just 100 people if you like. You can have a whole block of seats to yourself. At the very least the ball would come back quicker and there's practically 0 risk. There is so much middle ground between completely empty stadiums and "back to normal" that's just being ignored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
diehardmariner
September 24, 2020, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,096
Gold Stars: 520
To be honest, with the pressure that's increasing on an hourly basis, I can't imagine that the Government are going to hold out for too long on not letting fans in.

At the end of the day, they're thinking about the next election and the polls.  The first game against Bradford probably won't be open to fans, wouldn't surprise me if by the Carlisle game (24th) or maybe even Harrogate (20th), there's miraculously enough evidence from the trial games for it to be deemed safe to return to the original plan.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
Ipswin
September 24, 2020, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from diehardmariner
To be honest, with the pressure that's increasing on an hourly basis, I can't imagine that the Government are going to hold out for too long on not letting fans in.

At the end of the day, they're thinking about the next election and the polls.  The first game against Bradford probably won't be open to fans, wouldn't surprise me if by the Carlisle game (24th) or maybe even Harrogate (20th), there's miraculously enough evidence from the trial games for it to be deemed safe to return to the original plan.

I hope not, surely even a twit like Boris wouldn't do a turn round like that given the recent restrictions he has brought in with a March end date

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.