Boris Johnson
August 13, 2020, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Son of Cod
Absolute madness that people didn't rate Hess because he didn't score enough goals.

i didnt rate him, because he was dead wood for the most part......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
Boris Johnson
August 13, 2020, 2:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from devs
I didn't not rate him cos he didn't score goals
I think he was overrated and some people on here were way over the top about him, when all he contributed was tidying up work
I will qualify it by saying in our current midfield (Hess/Clifton/Hewitt/Wright/Tilley) I would not be confident at all it's a midfield that gets you promoted or in play offs

But if we get Benson and another crafty midfielder then I'd be happy for him to have been retained

I guess for me Hess is one of many L2 workmanlike midfielders - and you can't have too many of that type if you want to be at top end of table

exactly.....think Bobby Mitchell alongside Joe Waters, thats when it works
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Mayaman
August 13, 2020, 2:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
How about Ron Benson and Tony Hedges if we can't get Benson and Glennon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbP_pIgR4s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Son of Cod
August 13, 2020, 2:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from devs
I think he was overrated and some people on here were way over the top about him, when all he contributed was tidying up work
I will qualify it by saying in our current midfield (Hess/Clifton/Hewitt/Wright/Tilley) I would not be confident at all it's a midfield that gets you promoted or in play offs

But if we get Benson and another crafty midfielder then I'd be happy for him to have been retained

I guess for me Hess is one of many L2 workmanlike midfielders - and you can't have too many of that type if you want to be at top end of table

Hess is quite easily the best of those 5 players, though? He is the only out of those with anywhere near any kind of consistency. Admittedly, I've not seen much of Tilley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
jock dock tower
August 13, 2020, 4:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from pen penfras

Maybe more to do with him passing forwards about once every three games. His break up play was superb, but he was far more capable of playing football than what we saw for the most part. Maybe it was Jolley's tactics, but watching Hess pass the ball sideways and backwards under zero pressure was painful to watch.

It made the late Ray Wilkins a rich, and much capped, player. said to be nicknamed the Crab because of his sideways movement, but numerous managers saw far more in him than that. Have to admit I didn't, but I never got past managing in the old Grimsby Saturday league.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
devs
August 13, 2020, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Son of Cod

Hess is quite easily the best of those 5 players, though? He is the only out of those with anywhere near any kind of consistency. Admittedly, I've not seen much of Tilley.

I agree...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2020, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Hess was great at doing what he was told to do. You can't fill your midfield with creative players. You need one of them to keep it simple and Hess was happy to do that. I'm sure he has more than that in his locker but we never really got to see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
acko338
August 14, 2020, 4:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
I hope that Sean Dyche has appreciated the progress at League 2 level for a quick dozen games and will allow both players a full hardening up season at this level before easing them up the league ladder.

If not - who might be the next layer to loan out to a caring club who look after young progressing talent?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
chipsandgravy
August 14, 2020, 5:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from devs

Think he did more than tidy up!!
https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/f.....d44e7f5a2d5f319.jpeg

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
quebec38
August 14, 2020, 5:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
People knocking Hessenthaler.. ha ha. Grimsby’s motm in I don’t know how many games and a contender in most others. Crazy.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Benson & Glennon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.