Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be excited!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

Be excited!!

This thread currently has 27,502 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 8, 2020, 7:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Stew0_0
Ollie wouldnt want to stretch for Bogles wages so there is no way we are in for Charlie Adam. Easily on 5 figures a week

Different scenario though. Adam won't want for money and is at the end of his playing career, looking to get into coaching. It wouldn't be the money that attracted him. Not that I'm expecting him to sign, but I wouldn't be gobsmacked if he did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 73
jock dock tower
August 8, 2020, 8:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Another Birtles or Whymark type signing would do wonders for the collective morale.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 73
promotion plaice
August 8, 2020, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from jock dock tower
Another Birtles or Whymark type signing would do wonders for the collective morale.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much but I would imagine Ollie has more pulling power than all our other managers over the last twenty years put together given our location.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 73
jimgtfc
August 8, 2020, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45

The problem is that if its someone who has played a couple of hundred league games, those 200 games could be in the lower leagues so might not have any or much talent. Whereas bringing in an experienced midfielder who has played all his career in the upper echelon of the leagues, Rangers, Blackpool, Liverpool, Stoke, and played in Europe, then THAT would be preferable as 'experienced'. He was also signed by Ollie at Blackpool for £500k AND made club captain in their promotion season, and performed so well in the following season when they were relegated again, Liverpool bought him for £6.75 million. Even last season he played 27 games in total in league and cup games for Reading, so his legs must still be up to par.

Yeah I wouldn’t argue with that, was just more saying that Ollie might not have been hinting at Charlie Adam when he mentioned experience.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 73
moosey_club
August 9, 2020, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah I wouldn’t argue with that, was just more saying that Ollie might not have been hinting at Charlie Adam when he mentioned experience.

Let's face it, if we know Charlie Adam is looking for a club to progress his training badges with then the whole of football knows it.
On one hand we have Ollie as a potential positive,
but we also know from the last 4/5 managers our backroom set up is sub standard, the training facilities aren't great , we wont be matching wages of at least half the potential opposition, we are logistically challenged.

I would be very surprised to say the least.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 73
jamesgtfc
August 9, 2020, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Welsh was past it but we clearly didn't do our due diligence on him. I think central defenders can go on for a few extra years as positioning is key. In midfield, the "legs" are very important.

Ollie keeps talking about signing players on the way up and not down but you do need someone in there who has played to a good level. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed but I don't think he will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 73
Madeleymariner
August 9, 2020, 10:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
I can see us kicking off our first match without any experienced players on the bench at all just 1st yr pros and youths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 73
TownSNAFU5
August 9, 2020, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
We will be fine and  survive because you can put a pint in a quart mug.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 73
dicko995
August 9, 2020, 6:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Jury is out at the moment, by reading this thread i think we should see if walking sticks and crutches are allowed on the pitch. Hope things get better on choice, and younger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 73
Ipswin
August 9, 2020, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Lets be honest Holloway has the contacts, he might be very persuasive with loanees and attractive to a few old pros but at the end of the day more than just Holloway's personality and experience is going to be needed to get anything decent to BP.
I fear we will end up with everyone elses left overs who are absolutely desperate for a club a week or so before kickoff and we'll put a brave and exaggerated face on it as usual with GTFC.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be excited!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.