Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 7, 2020, 1:38pm
The message from our Holloway with regards new signings!

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-transfer-news-holloway-4403747
Posted by: ska face, August 7, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 1
“Our fans should be excited that we have some spaces that need filling.

“It will take a bit of patience and understanding. It takes a lot of work to get deals done, but we are on with it and we are moving.”
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 7, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 2
I just want real football than I would be excited so missing the blundell Park experience and the crack of joining up with our amazing support on an away day utm
Posted by: aldi_01, August 7, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 3
I’m still waiting for those signings we were promised that would make the Harris on then back of our necks stand up...
Posted by: moosey_club, August 7, 2020, 8:08pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from ska face
“Our fans should be excited that we have some spaces that need filling.

“It will take a bit of patience and understanding. It takes a lot of work to get deals done, but we are on with it and we are moving.”

You missed off .." if i get 75% right we can be succesful "...

I am really fking excited now.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 7, 2020, 10:08pm; Reply: 5
Maybe it's just me, but I'd far rather have gtfc survive this period  even if it means a season of mediocrity.
I think.our turnover is c.£3 million p.a. and covid is going to cost us £1million in the next year. You cant for a pint into a quart mug  so the near future is simply about survival I'm afraid. Typical town lick.ee get holloway on board, start to get a bit of momentum, then this happens and we take 10 steps backward
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 7, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano
Maybe it's just me, but I'd far rather have gtfc survive this period  even if it means a season of mediocrity.
I think.our turnover is c.£3 million p.a. and covid is going to cost us £1million in the next year. You cant for a pint into a quart mug  so the near future is simply about survival I'm afraid. Typical town lick.ee get holloway on board, start to get a bit of momentum, then this happens and we take 10 steps backward

Don’t get why we’re going to lose a million. If we play half our games with a crowd, we’ll get a reasonable turnover and if the Prem subsidises the rest, we’ll be ok. The mood music is a bit too negative for me.
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 7, 2020, 11:50pm; Reply: 7
Charlie Adam is the latest rumour! Don’t shoot the messenger, I would be very surprised but then I would have never expected us to attract Ollie either.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 8, 2020, 1:35am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Tinymariner
Charlie Adam is the latest rumour! Don’t shoot the messenger, I would be very surprised but then I would have never expected us to attract Ollie either.

Quote from Ollie's interview

"But alongside the strikeforce, one of the key priorities is bringing in a midfielder with some experience."

Charlie Adam is a free agent, wanting to do his coaching badges. Central midfielder. Only 34. Years of experience. Played under Ollie at Blackpool.

Even if we could get a couple of years out of him would be good.
Posted by: mariners1, August 8, 2020, 10:10am; Reply: 9
Just a thought on the manager’s aim for “an experienced midfielder”. Be careful about the term “experienced” Scott Kerr? John welsh? They were described as “experienced”. If the legs have gone then, sadly, it counts for nothing does it? We need an ‘intelligent” player certainly but I’m a little bit wary about the term ‘experienced’
Posted by: jaygy, August 8, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 10
I'd say it worked well with Danny Collins, players have to start their coaching somewhere and to shoehorn that in with still playing in the football league whilst also learning off a manager like Ollie would be a big draw for someone like Charlie Adam
Posted by: Davec, August 8, 2020, 10:25am; Reply: 11
The word experienced doesn't always mean somebody who are mid 30s, what if there is a 27 year old who has 300 appearances under his belt? That is experience isn't it
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 8, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Davec
The word experienced doesn't always mean somebody who are mid 30s, what if there is a 27 year old who has 300 appearances under his belt? That is experience isn't it

Exactly. In his next sentence Ollie mentioned Macca and Luke Hendrie as being experienced so it doesn’t have to be some 34 year old has been, just someone who’s played a couple of hundred league games.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 8, 2020, 12:35pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don’t get why we’re going to lose a million. If we play half our games with a crowd, we’ll get a reasonable turnover and if the Prem subsidises the rest, we’ll be ok. The mood music is a bit too negative for me.

Coz we get 60%(I think) of our income from our home matches, which equates to c.£1.8 million.Looks like the capacity may be 1800, which is less than half our average gate..you've got your million there alone
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 8, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 14
Charlie Adam would be a beast in this league though.
Posted by: Teesknees, August 8, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Charlie Adam would be a beast in this league though.

Grizzly Adam!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 8, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jimgtfc

Exactly. In his next sentence Ollie mentioned Macca and Luke Hendrie as being experienced so it doesn’t have to be some 34 year old has been, just someone who’s played a couple of hundred league games.

The problem is that if its someone who has played a couple of hundred league games, those 200 games could be in the lower leagues so might not have any or much talent. Whereas bringing in an experienced midfielder who has played all his career in the upper echelon of the leagues, Rangers, Blackpool, Liverpool, Stoke, and played in Europe, then THAT would be preferable as 'experienced'. He was also signed by Ollie at Blackpool for £500k AND made club captain in their promotion season, and performed so well in the following season when they were relegated again, Liverpool bought him for £6.75 million. Even last season he played 27 games in total in league and cup games for Reading, so his legs must still be up to par.
Posted by: Poojah, August 8, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mariners1
Just a thought on the manager’s aim for “an experienced midfielder”. Be careful about the term “experienced” Scott Kerr? John welsh? They were described as “experienced”. If the legs have gone then, sadly, it counts for nothing does it? We need an ‘intelligent” player certainly but I’m a little bit wary about the term ‘experienced’

“If the legs have gone, it counts for nothing”.

[img]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/contentassets/b4ab724b85034b3e90a956939e3ec53a/169-futch244-3433614_1600x900/Large[/img]
Posted by: hheh2, August 8, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 18
Charile Adam in lg2 imagine the delivers to Hanson!
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 8, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 19
Ollie wouldnt want to stretch for Bogles wages so there is no way we are in for Charlie Adam. Easily on 5 figures a week
Posted by: ginnywings, August 8, 2020, 7:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Stew0_0
Ollie wouldnt want to stretch for Bogles wages so there is no way we are in for Charlie Adam. Easily on 5 figures a week

Different scenario though. Adam won't want for money and is at the end of his playing career, looking to get into coaching. It wouldn't be the money that attracted him. Not that I'm expecting him to sign, but I wouldn't be gobsmacked if he did.
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 8, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 21
Another Birtles or Whymark type signing would do wonders for the collective morale.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 8, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jock dock tower
Another Birtles or Whymark type signing would do wonders for the collective morale.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much but I would imagine Ollie has more pulling power than all our other managers over the last twenty years put together given our location.

Posted by: jimgtfc, August 8, 2020, 10:08pm; Reply: 23

The problem is that if its someone who has played a couple of hundred league games, those 200 games could be in the lower leagues so might not have any or much talent. Whereas bringing in an experienced midfielder who has played all his career in the upper echelon of the leagues, Rangers, Blackpool, Liverpool, Stoke, and played in Europe, then THAT would be preferable as 'experienced'. He was also signed by Ollie at Blackpool for £500k AND made club captain in their promotion season, and performed so well in the following season when they were relegated again, Liverpool bought him for £6.75 million. Even last season he played 27 games in total in league and cup games for Reading, so his legs must still be up to par.

Yeah I wouldn’t argue with that, was just more saying that Ollie might not have been hinting at Charlie Adam when he mentioned experience.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 9, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 24
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah I wouldn’t argue with that, was just more saying that Ollie might not have been hinting at Charlie Adam when he mentioned experience.

Let's face it, if we know Charlie Adam is looking for a club to progress his training badges with then the whole of football knows it.
On one hand we have Ollie as a potential positive,
but we also know from the last 4/5 managers our backroom set up is sub standard, the training facilities aren't great , we wont be matching wages of at least half the potential opposition, we are logistically challenged.

I would be very surprised to say the least.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 9, 2020, 9:55am; Reply: 25
Welsh was past it but we clearly didn't do our due diligence on him. I think central defenders can go on for a few extra years as positioning is key. In midfield, the "legs" are very important.

Ollie keeps talking about signing players on the way up and not down but you do need someone in there who has played to a good level. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed but I don't think he will.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 9, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 26
I can see us kicking off our first match without any experienced players on the bench at all just 1st yr pros and youths.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 9, 2020, 11:57am; Reply: 27
We will be fine and  survive because you can put a pint in a quart mug.
Posted by: dicko995, August 9, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 28
Jury is out at the moment, by reading this thread i think we should see if walking sticks and crutches are allowed on the pitch. Hope things get better on choice, and younger.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 9, 2020, 6:59pm; Reply: 29
Lets be honest Holloway has the contacts, he might be very persuasive with loanees and attractive to a few old pros but at the end of the day more than just Holloway's personality and experience is going to be needed to get anything decent to BP.
I fear we will end up with everyone elses left overs who are absolutely desperate for a club a week or so before kickoff and we'll put a brave and exaggerated face on it as usual with GTFC.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 9, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 30
Unfortunately thats just what I am feeling as well, so  lets get lots of red crosses together  ;D
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 9, 2020, 7:32pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Ipswin
Lets be honest Holloway has the contacts, he might be very persuasive with loanees and attractive to a few old pros but at the end of the day more than just Holloway's personality and experience is going to be needed to get anything decent to BP.
I fear we will end up with everyone elses left overs who are absolutely desperate for a club a week or so before kickoff and we'll put a brave and exaggerated face on it as usual with GTFC.

I am (nearly) as cynical as you but I think we have to put our faith in Holloway who wanted to deliver a project that Town fans could be proud of. He talked about leaving a legacy.

Of course in these early days it will be similar to the early Buckley years - get players in who fit your version of playing whether well known or not, and start building the first bricks of the legacy.

Holloway has more pulling power than Buckley did when starting out at Town so although money will always be a factor I think we can expect signings to be of a better calibre than we are used to.

All this is predicated on a reasonable budget being available but I dont know where that is coming from without fans' income?

We will know soon enough as we need some players urgently if we are looking to start in just over a month.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 9, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 32
I think the club won't blink on any significant signings/ spending until the EFL, Government, F.A , Uncle Tom Cobley and all have given very clear advice or assurances on how the season is going to pan out or any potential financial support packages.  Without any green light on fully open stadia or even as yet partially open stadia i cant see the club hurrying to authorise any spend.
They may allow Holloway a couple of signings in the two main positions he has mentioned, midfield and striker, as without they may completely lose his passion/ commitment as well as the patience of supporters, but if the season is going ahead as we currently stand then i think we will be making do and mend with what we have supplemented by some canny loans.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 10, 2020, 8:53am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Ipswin

As cynical as ever!

Posted by: coddy60, August 10, 2020, 8:58am; Reply: 34
I hear Bilel Mohsni, who was training with us pre lockdown, will be signing at some point soon.
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 35
Quoted from coddy60
I hear Bilel Mohsni, who was training with us pre lockdown, will be signing at some point soon.

The ex-Rangers nutjob? Seems an interesting character, if nothing else.

[img]https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/6/18/1434629280162/Bilel-Mohsni-009.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=f9120f24b893ffba7f24b6e7ebb2e337[/img]
Posted by: coddy60, August 10, 2020, 9:04am; Reply: 36
Yep, that lunatic, I work with lots of Rangers fans who reckon he'll be great at our level, if he can stay on the pitch 😳
Posted by: supertown, August 10, 2020, 9:31am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Poojah

The ex-Rangers nutjob? Seems an interesting character, if nothing else.

[img]https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/6/18/1434629280162/Bilel-Mohsni-009.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=f9120f24b893ffba7f24b6e7ebb2e337[/img]

Charlie Adam will keep him in check, oh hang on ...
Posted by: Ipswin, August 10, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 38
Quoted from 123614

As cynical as ever!

We'll see

Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 10, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from coddy60

how we going to get a song out of that name?
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), August 10, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 40
Rocky theme comes to mind ;)
Posted by: denni266, August 10, 2020, 5:07pm; Reply: 41
Hope his passing is as pinpoint as that left hook lol ;D
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 10, 2020, 10:02pm; Reply: 42
I do recall Ollie raving about Tilley prior to his arrival so as much as I love him it doesn’t take much to get him excited.

Would Charlie Adam add something? Maybe maybe not, personally I’d be more excited if we got Benson & Glennon back on season long loans, if they’ve not been snapped up already.

I get we should sign our own players but in such uncertain times decent loanees will be important.

Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 11, 2020, 5:37am; Reply: 43
Some strange comments on here regarding Charlie Adam’s Age??!! WTAF?
He’s got an amazing pedigree and would be possible the best signing Town had secured in many many years. So much so that I very much doubt it would happen!!

Remember Paul Futcher and Garry Birtles, they were at the tail end of their career and what awesome signings they both turned out to be. Fairly sure that Charlie would Boss the Centre of the Park in most games!!

We can all dream...but let’s not lose sight of the reality that we are GTFC in League 2.

Fingers crossed that there is an ounce of truth in this rumour, it would be an incredible signing!

UTM
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2020, 6:30am; Reply: 44
Quoted from 1542
Some strange comments on here regarding Charlie Adam’s Age??!! WTAF?
He’s got an amazing pedigree and would be possible the best signing Town had secured in many many years. So much so that I very much doubt it would happen!!

Remember Paul Futcher and Garry Birtles, they were at the tail end of their career and what awesome signings they both turned out to be. Fairly sure that Charlie would Boss the Centre of the Park in most games!!

We can all dream...but let’s not lose sight of the reality that we are GTFC in League 2.

Fingers crossed that there is an ounce of truth in this rumour, it would be an incredible signing!

UTM

For some reason, a lot of posters on this forum seem to think that when you turn 30 you're ready for the knackers yard.  I suggest those guys do some research on players aged between 30-40 and see how many are still playing football on a regular basis for their respective teams.  And still have legs!!

Posted by: Davec, August 11, 2020, 6:34am; Reply: 45
Quoted from 123614

For some reason, a lot of posters on this forum seem to think that when you turn 30 you're ready for the knackers yard.  I suggest those guys do some research on players aged between 30-40 and see how many are still playing football on a regular basis for their respective teams.  And still have legs!!

Who can forget the weekly "has Disley's legs gone" threads we used to have on here!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 11, 2020, 8:13am; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I do recall Ollie raving about Tilley prior to his arrival so as much as I love him it doesn’t take much to get him excited.

Would Charlie Adam add something? Maybe maybe not, personally I’d be more excited if we got Benson & Glennon back on season long loans, if they’ve not been snapped up already.

I get we should sign our own players but in such uncertain times decent loanees will be important.

Tilley looks a really really good player.
He will 100% play higher than league 2
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 11, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 47
Looks like we’re about to find out. Matt Dean just tweeted that Town are about to unveil the first signings...
Posted by: Perkins, August 11, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 48
Quoted from marinerdazza
Looks like we’re about to find out. Matt Dean just tweeted that Town are about to unveil the first signings...

More than one then?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 11, 2020, 10:51am; Reply: 49
The Grimsby “s”.
Posted by: Meza, August 11, 2020, 10:52am; Reply: 50
[tweet]1293115718628716544[/tweet]
Posted by: Sigone, August 11, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 51
And the 1st friendly announced with Clee Town in 11 days(Aug 22nd)...Clee town will be streaming the game  ;D
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 11, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 52
Quoted from marinerdazza

I know we've bleated on about this recently, and it's great that we're moving forward, but where is the money coming from to sign players?  I know we're probably one of the last to do so, but how can ANY club outside the Prem sign anyone yet?  We haven't got a clue when the club can earn a cent yet.  No idea when crowds allowed back in, no idea about iFollow and how to subscribe, zero season ticket holders.  It baffles me!
Posted by: aldi_01, August 11, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 53
I guess the simple answer is clubs are borrowing, owners putting hands in to pockets and may be some teams see this as a potential to capitalise on others being slow or being less ambitious?

It does make you wonder, especially when one of those clubs hasn’t exactly been financial stable in the last 2 years.

Perhaps contracts are being negotiated and incremental increases in salary as and when income is forth coming. I’m certainly not a business man by any means but I guess clubs would’ve already prepared their budget for next year possibly even before COVID?

I think it’s important that we make a couple of signings just to turn the focus on to that and make it positive...

I guess if we keep saying ‘but how are we going to pay, how are they paying for players etc’ we’ll end up no where and only have 10 players to start the season.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, August 11, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 54
on tenterhooks here lads!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 11, 2020, 11:37am; Reply: 55
Groves coming out of retirement
Posted by: sam gy, August 11, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 56
Re Charlie Adam...no idea if it’s happening or not, but it’s pretty simple. If he is good enough to play a load of games for Reading in the Championship only last season, he is good enough to play for Grimsby Town in league 2 this season. The end.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 11, 2020, 11:53am; Reply: 57
It’s probably Bilel Moshni
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from jimgtfc

https://twitter.com/mattdeanbbc/status/1293136566651629569
Posted by: dicko995, August 11, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 59
If it is Bilel Mohsni, we need our new ground quick. At Rangers he was given his own room to pray at certain times in the day, and he was allowed to attend fridays late, so he could pray at the local mosque. So he,s bound to be Player of the Prayer, oops, i mean Year. Just hope we have not got many games at Xmas :)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 11, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 60
Mohsni is class and would’ve played much higher if he wasn’t such a loose cannon.

Hopefully if it’s him he’ll become a fans favourite and will entertain us for a couple of seasons.
Posted by: rancido, August 11, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from jimgtfc

As long as it's not Bela Lugosi !!
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from rancido

As long as it's not Bela Lugosi !!

Terrible goalkeeper...
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 11, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Poojah

Terrible goalkeeper...

You mean ghoulkeeper? ;)

Posted by: Heisenberg, August 11, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Poojah

Terrible goalkeeper...

Bad with crosses?
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Heisenberg

Bad with crosses?

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/4QFAH0qZ0LQnIwVYKT/giphy.gif[/img]
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), August 11, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 66
Here is Towns latest signing......... SB. TRUE
Posted by: coddy60, August 11, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 67
Mintel Gibson to follow 🤷‍♂️
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2020, 4:15pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from coddy60

Shades of a young Liam Hearn.

https://twitter.com/Montel_Gibson9/status/1210513082277126144

[youtube]Hgh-I24PfGc[/youtube]
Posted by: Meza, August 11, 2020, 4:16pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from coddy60

Was that a typo Coddy, is this who you was referring too.

[url]https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/non-league/halesowen-town-fc/2020/05/08/striker-montel-gibson-exits-the-yeltz/[/url]
Posted by: coddy60, August 11, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 70
Absolutely was, Montel....
Posted by: coddy60, August 11, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 71
Think hes played against us for Notts a few years back, never got a league goal before
Posted by: forza ivano, August 11, 2020, 5:07pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Poojah

Shades of a young Liam Hearn.

https://twitter.com/Montel_Gibson9/status/1210513082277126144

[youtube]Hgh-I24PfGc[/youtube]

He only scored once against an injury hit Ducks (about 9.50 in ,if you're interested)I'm pleased to say
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 11, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Tilley looks a really really good player.
He will 100% play higher than league 2

Agree 100%
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:02am