7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Sir Matt Tease
April 1, 2020, 2:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
January 11th 1969, Grimsby Town 1 Exeter City 2.

Stood with my grandad in the Osmond end.

My memory is patchy but the names of Keith Cockburn for Town and David Pleat for Exeter as goal scorers spring to mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
April 1, 2020, 3:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Les Brechin
2nd May 1972 - Grimsby Town 3 Exeter City 0  

Now that game reminds me of something that happened that season which was absolutely bizarre.

I was 16 when the '71 season started, and had already being going to BP since about 1963 and it was, as you know, the most memorable season culminating in that win over Exeter.

Previous seasons, a bit like today, had been a nightmare and I was one of the fans there when we had our lowest league gate ever against Brentford in 1968/69 when we were truly at a low ebb. I remember an article in the Telegraph asking if we should become a rugby league club instead, it was that bad.

Anyway as a 16 year old fanatic I was disgusted when I had to go to hospital to have my tonsils out, meaning I would miss the original match against Exeter which should have been played in the autumn I think. I was really gutted as the team were winning and scoring goals for fun. I offered a prayer saying that the whole thing was ghastly and either my operation should be postponed or the match.

On the day of the operation I was in the old Grimsby hospital and it was a beautiful day - bright sunshine - for the day of the original match. Near kick off I tried to tune in to hospital radio but there was nothing coming through. Sun was still gorgeous outside and then I got news that the match had been postponed due to fog. Bewildered I looked out of the window again - bright sunshine.

When I read the Telegraph it said the match was postponed because the fog had descended only on the area around Blundell park.

The result of course is that I never did miss the Exeter game; I was there on that incredible night in May when we won 3-0 to clinch the title.

Is there a God? Who knows.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
Manchester Mariner
April 1, 2020, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Town v Wolves, 19th Nov 1988, won 1-0. The start of the cup run which ended at Plough Lane. Still feel massively privileged to have grown up through the Buckley years and it's giant killings, promotions and beautiful football with proper wingers. My dad had taken me to a few reserve team games when we were against 'big clubs' reserve team but this was the first proper game. Sat in the Upper Findus. John Cockeril scoring from a corner like a boss.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
Yossarian
April 1, 2020, 3:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Years later, after getting married I took my lovely French wife to Blundell Park on valentines day 2004 to see Town play Brighton - no Paris for her!!!    Traveled up from London to a dripping wet Grimsby.  It was properly grim weather.

I took her to The Imperial before the game, I think the floor was sopping wet inside the pub.  She had wet feet all afternoon.
The game was dire.

It was perfect in the utterly awfulness of the whole day.
She said "I am never doing that again"
She still talks about it today.  Happy days!

We won 2-1 with a goal that consisted of our striker (can't remember who - maybe Jevons) sliding about 5 yards across the turf, smashed into the keeper and pushing both the keeper and the ball over the line.
No idea how the goal was given

Edit:  Here is the game:  https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-14-february-2004-18670/

A whopping 3,600 at the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
GollyGTFC
April 1, 2020, 3:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
First GTFC home match was Boxing Day 1992. We beat Barnsley 4-2. Goals from Dave Gilbert (2), Paul Groves & Tommy Watson.

My first away match was 2 days later. We lost 2-1 to Sunderland at Roker Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 66
Yossarian
April 1, 2020, 3:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
GollyGTFC - that 4-2 game was awesome.  I was in the Pontoon  - such a great atmosphere that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
Abdul19
April 1, 2020, 4:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Yossarian
Years later, after getting married I took my lovely French wife to Blundell Park on valentines day 2004 to see Town play Brighton - no Paris for her!!!    Traveled up from London to a dripping wet Grimsby.  It was properly grim weather.

I took her to The Imperial before the game, I think the floor was sopping wet inside the pub.  She had wet feet all afternoon.
The game was dire.

It was perfect in the utterly awfulness of the whole day.
She said "I am never doing that again"
She still talks about it today.  Happy days!

We won 2-1 with a goal that consisted of our striker (can't remember who - maybe Jevons) sliding about 5 yards across the turf, smashed into the keeper and pushing both the keeper and the ball over the line.
No idea how the goal was given

Edit:  Here is the game:  https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-14-february-2004-18670/

A whopping 3,600 at the game.

Haha yeah, would've been a foul in the 50s

Think that was Rodger's first game in charge after Groves got the boot.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 1, 2020, 4:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79

Now that game reminds me of something that happened that season which was absolutely bizarre.

I was 16 when the '71 season started, and had already being going to BP since about 1963 and it was, as you know, the most memorable season culminating in that win over Exeter.

Previous seasons, a bit like today, had been a nightmare and I was one of the fans there when we had our lowest league gate ever against Brentford in 1968/69 when we were truly at a low ebb. I remember an article in the Telegraph asking if we should become a rugby league club instead, it was that bad.

Anyway as a 16 year old fanatic I was disgusted when I had to go to hospital to have my tonsils out, meaning I would miss the original match against Exeter which should have been played in the autumn I think. I was really gutted as the team were winning and scoring goals for fun. I offered a prayer saying that the whole thing was ghastly and either my operation should be postponed or the match.

On the day of the operation I was in the old Grimsby hospital and it was a beautiful day - bright sunshine - for the day of the original match. Near kick off I tried to tune in to hospital radio but there was nothing coming through. Sun was still gorgeous outside and then I got news that the match had been postponed due to fog. Bewildered I looked out of the window again - bright sunshine.

When I read the Telegraph it said the match was postponed because the fog had descended only on the area around Blundell park.

The result of course is that I never did miss the Exeter game; I was there on that incredible night in May when we won 3-0 to clinch the title.

Is there a God? Who knows.

I was 15 at the start of that season and was at both Exeter games and the fog literally was only inside the ground but there was no breeze/wind to blow it away. It was bizarre to come outside the ground and be stood in complete sunshine but it couldn’t have worked out better as that was a night game never to be forgot.

Anyway my first game was v Brighton 1965 a night game and 3-0 home win, perfect start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
winghams
April 1, 2020, 4:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 1
Chesterfield away.  Went with my father on a bus trip that left the Buffs Club somewhere opposite the Pea Bung on the Market.  Not sure what season but I was maybe about 9 or 10 so maybe 52/53 perhaps.

Can remember Buddy Holly's 'Doesn't Matter Anymore' over the PA in the Pontoon with so much room you could have had your own football match in there. About 59ish I think.

Some great games at Blundell Park over the years though.

A good town to grow up in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
Connecticut Mariner
April 1, 2020, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Approval: +730
Gold Stars: 7
Boxing Day 1969 vs Bradford Park Avenue and drew 2-2 - BPA went out of the league that year I think.
Went with a mate and his Dad in the Osmond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What was your first Town Match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.