Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yossarian, April 1, 2020, 1:39pm
I've not seen a thread about this, so given that we are all probably in need of some football memories right now, what was your first Town match and what can you remember about it?

Mine was Town 0 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday in 1980

My dad took me in the Barratt Stand and took a milk crate for me to stand on.

I couldnt believe:

a) what a festering dump the underneath of the stand was
b) how amazing it was to watch a game live and under the floodlights

Didn't matter that the game finished 0-0 - i was hooked,

As a side note, I grew up in Louth and I can't recall anyone at school being anything other than a Grimsby fan.  No Lincoln fans at all.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 1, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 1
1979 Town v Wigan, I think we won 3.1, I was hooked from that day 👍
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 1, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 2
2nd May 1972 - Grimsby Town 3 Exeter City 0  :)
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 1, 2020, 2:13pm; Reply: 3
A game around 69/70, think it was Southend, all I remember was Dave Boylen scoring a header from the 18 yard line in the Osmond end, the general consensus was he must of jumped on the back of someone to beat their centre half to the ball. Living in Brigg used to get the Daisy bus that started in Broughton and picked up in Brigg, Grasby etc, would drop us outside the cinema and pick us up after the game. Remember one game sometime in the 70’s when we got a bottle through the window, obviously mistook for an away coach.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 1, 2020, 2:13pm; Reply: 4
Christmas Day 1958 Town 1 Sheffield United 2
My uncle Bill took me. We sat in the seats in the Osmond and he spent all match watching his mates all getting drunk in the Barratt  Stand and wishing he was in there rather than looking after me! :)
Posted by: mariner83, April 1, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 5
v Reading April 1997 - think it was the 19th, cos I'm pretty sure Wembley was a year to the day after.
I was hooked.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 1, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from mariner83
v Reading April 1997 - think it was the 19th, cos I'm pretty sure Wembley was a year to the day after.
I was hooked.

A relegation season - ouch!

Me too, actually.  1986, 1-0 defeat to Barnsley.  Low crowd, Town fans in the Osmond, away fans in the Pontoon, relegation months later.  What on earth convinced me to go back, I do not know!
Posted by: Yossarian, April 1, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 7
Those times of being in the Osmond were grim - some awful footy as well.
Posted by: It Bites, April 1, 2020, 2:27pm; Reply: 8
Notts County home 81 . Won 2-1 .whymark and brolly with the goals . Stood n the Barrett Stand and could see little of the game but the atmosphere was electric so I was Hooked
Posted by: Mayaman, April 1, 2020, 2:29pm; Reply: 9
I remember it was a night game and the opposition was Swansea. I just did some digging and it was 18 April 1978 which made me 11 ( my cousin of about 15 took me)  We were walking home and a car pulled up.  The window went down and a bloke said, "hey lads!  How do you like hospital food?"  We legged it down some alleyways.   Never looked back since.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, April 1, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 10
January 11th 1969, Grimsby Town 1 Exeter City 2.

Stood with my grandad in the Osmond end.

My memory is patchy but the names of Keith Cockburn for Town and David Pleat for Exeter as goal scorers spring to mind.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 1, 2020, 3:14pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin
2nd May 1972 - Grimsby Town 3 Exeter City 0  :)

Now that game reminds me of something that happened that season which was absolutely bizarre.

I was 16 when the '71 season started, and had already being going to BP since about 1963 and it was, as you know, the most memorable season culminating in that win over Exeter.

Previous seasons, a bit like today, had been a nightmare and I was one of the fans there when we had our lowest league gate ever against Brentford in 1968/69 when we were truly at a low ebb. I remember an article in the Telegraph asking if we should become a rugby league club instead, it was that bad.

Anyway as a 16 year old fanatic I was disgusted when I had to go to hospital to have my tonsils out, meaning I would miss the original match against Exeter which should have been played in the autumn I think. I was really gutted as the team were winning and scoring goals for fun. I offered a prayer saying that the whole thing was ghastly and either my operation should be postponed or the match.

On the day of the operation I was in the old Grimsby hospital and it was a beautiful day - bright sunshine - for the day of the original match. Near kick off I tried to tune in to hospital radio but there was nothing coming through. Sun was still gorgeous outside and then I got news that the match had been postponed due to fog. Bewildered I looked out of the window again - bright sunshine.

When I read the Telegraph it said the match was postponed because the fog had descended only on the area around Blundell park.

The result of course is that I never did miss the Exeter game; I was there on that incredible night in May when we won 3-0 to clinch the title.

Is there a God? Who knows.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, April 1, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 12
Town v Wolves, 19th Nov 1988, won 1-0. The start of the cup run which ended at Plough Lane. Still feel massively privileged to have grown up through the Buckley years and it's giant killings, promotions and beautiful football with proper wingers. My dad had taken me to a few reserve team games when we were against 'big clubs' reserve team but this was the first proper game. Sat in the Upper Findus. John Cockeril scoring from a corner like a boss.
Posted by: Yossarian, April 1, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 13
Years later, after getting married I took my lovely French wife to Blundell Park on valentines day 2004 to see Town play Brighton - no Paris for her!!!    Traveled up from London to a dripping wet Grimsby.  It was properly grim weather.

I took her to The Imperial before the game, I think the floor was sopping wet inside the pub.  She had wet feet all afternoon.
The game was dire.

It was perfect in the utterly awfulness of the whole day.
She said "I am never doing that again"
She still talks about it today.  Happy days!

We won 2-1 with a goal that consisted of our striker (can't remember who - maybe Jevons) sliding about 5 yards across the turf, smashed into the keeper and pushing both the keeper and the ball over the line.
No idea how the goal was given

Edit:  Here is the game:  https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-14-february-2004-18670/

A whopping 3,600 at the game.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 1, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 14
First GTFC home match was Boxing Day 1992. We beat Barnsley 4-2. Goals from Dave Gilbert (2), Paul Groves & Tommy Watson.

My first away match was 2 days later. We lost 2-1 to Sunderland at Roker Park.
Posted by: Yossarian, April 1, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 15
GollyGTFC - that 4-2 game was awesome.  I was in the Pontoon  - such a great atmosphere that day.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 1, 2020, 4:20pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Yossarian
Years later, after getting married I took my lovely French wife to Blundell Park on valentines day 2004 to see Town play Brighton - no Paris for her!!!    Traveled up from London to a dripping wet Grimsby.  It was properly grim weather.

I took her to The Imperial before the game, I think the floor was sopping wet inside the pub.  She had wet feet all afternoon.
The game was dire.

It was perfect in the utterly awfulness of the whole day.
She said "I am never doing that again"
She still talks about it today.  Happy days!

We won 2-1 with a goal that consisted of our striker (can't remember who - maybe Jevons) sliding about 5 yards across the turf, smashed into the keeper and pushing both the keeper and the ball over the line.
No idea how the goal was given

Edit:  Here is the game:  https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-14-february-2004-18670/

A whopping 3,600 at the game.

Haha yeah, would've been a foul in the 50s ;D

Think that was Rodger's first game in charge after Groves got the boot.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 1, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 17

Now that game reminds me of something that happened that season which was absolutely bizarre.

I was 16 when the '71 season started, and had already being going to BP since about 1963 and it was, as you know, the most memorable season culminating in that win over Exeter.

Previous seasons, a bit like today, had been a nightmare and I was one of the fans there when we had our lowest league gate ever against Brentford in 1968/69 when we were truly at a low ebb. I remember an article in the Telegraph asking if we should become a rugby league club instead, it was that bad.

Anyway as a 16 year old fanatic I was disgusted when I had to go to hospital to have my tonsils out, meaning I would miss the original match against Exeter which should have been played in the autumn I think. I was really gutted as the team were winning and scoring goals for fun. I offered a prayer saying that the whole thing was ghastly and either my operation should be postponed or the match.

On the day of the operation I was in the old Grimsby hospital and it was a beautiful day - bright sunshine - for the day of the original match. Near kick off I tried to tune in to hospital radio but there was nothing coming through. Sun was still gorgeous outside and then I got news that the match had been postponed due to fog. Bewildered I looked out of the window again - bright sunshine.

When I read the Telegraph it said the match was postponed because the fog had descended only on the area around Blundell park.

The result of course is that I never did miss the Exeter game; I was there on that incredible night in May when we won 3-0 to clinch the title.

Is there a God? Who knows.

I was 15 at the start of that season and was at both Exeter games and the fog literally was only inside the ground but there was no breeze/wind to blow it away. It was bizarre to come outside the ground and be stood in complete sunshine but it couldn’t have worked out better as that was a night game never to be forgot.

Anyway my first game was v Brighton 1965 a night game and 3-0 home win, perfect start.
Posted by: winghams, April 1, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 18
Chesterfield away.  Went with my father on a bus trip that left the Buffs Club somewhere opposite the Pea Bung on the Market.  Not sure what season but I was maybe about 9 or 10 so maybe 52/53 perhaps.

Can remember Buddy Holly's 'Doesn't Matter Anymore' over the PA in the Pontoon with so much room you could have had your own football match in there. About 59ish I think.

Some great games at Blundell Park over the years though.

A good town to grow up in.
Posted by: Connecticut Mariner, April 1, 2020, 4:43pm; Reply: 19
Boxing Day 1969 vs Bradford Park Avenue and drew 2-2 - BPA went out of the league that year I think.
Went with a mate and his Dad in the Osmond
Posted by: kenlyn, April 1, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 20
16th April 1965 v Port Vale won 2-0 cannot remember the goalscorers, was first visit, went with a mate without parents.

I recall my dad taking myself and brother to a game some years earlier but neither of us showed much interest in the game and he never did it again, do not remember what year or anything about the game.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 1, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 21
My dad took me to my first game in 1955 I was seven at the time.

No idea who we played or what the score was but I have been supporting town ever since.

65 years so I  have seen plenty of ups as well as downs.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 1, 2020, 5:24pm; Reply: 22
In response to the lad who took his French wife, I once took a lass to see QPR v Town she started to support the opposition because they had nicer shirts.  You should have seen some of the looks  I got.  I hasten to add that that relationship didn't last long.
Posted by: golfer, April 1, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 23
Going to my grandparents with my sister and found a telescope in the street .We were arguing over it when my grandad said give her it and I'll take you to the match.     Town v Tranmere Rovers Xmas Day  1953   right in the front of Barretts  -  won  1 - 0
Posted by: Mayaman, April 1, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GollyGTFC
First GTFC home match was Boxing Day 1992. We beat Barnsley 4-2. Goals from Dave Gilbert (2), Paul Groves & Tommy Watson.

My first away match was 2 days later. We lost 2-1 to Sunderland at Roker Park.

Remember that boxing day game.  Thick snow on the pitch if it's the same one.  Gilbert also hit the bar if  I remember rightly.

Posted by: Les Brechin, April 1, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 25
Reading the replies to this thread, we've got some right old gits on here.  ;)
Posted by: wigworld, April 1, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 26
Pre-season friendly against (maybe Lincolnshire cup) against the Scunts, late '70's/early '80's. We won either 2-0 or 2-1.
Didn't go to another game until 2009!  ;D
Posted by: Perkins, April 1, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

Here's another one Les. Town v Charlton December 1957.  Dont remember much about it except I sat in front of the  hoardings on the ash track and I was bloody freezing.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), April 1, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 28
I was blessed.

Dad took me to see Town 7 -Scunny 1 (1966) when I was 10 years old,

Saw sodall of the match until the 2nd half, when I got perched on the fence in the open stand between Pontoon & Barrett.
But was intoxicated by the atmosphere and lots of people swearing. (My parents never swore in front of us kids.)

For the OP: this is at least the third such thread where I've re-lived that memory. We all remember...

More exciting than my first shag, if I'm honest!  ::)

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 1, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 29
17 November 1965 v West Ham United in League Cup

2 all draw.

For the life of me I can not remember the Town goal scorers but Jeff Hurst scored for them.
Posted by: golfer, April 1, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Young whippersnapper - watch your language or you'll be on the naughty step
Posted by: ginnywings, April 1, 2020, 7:52pm; Reply: 31
I'm not certain as I only went to BP to sell newspapers initially. It was the 72 promotion season and I soon spent more time watching the footy than trying to earn money flogging the Telewag. I soon got the bullet from my 'job' but I was hooked and haven't missed many games since, 48 years later.
Posted by: Caveman, April 1, 2020, 9:06pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Les Brechin

If you think this lot are old gits Les I daren't tell you about my first match.
Posted by: Dan, April 1, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 33
It was against Reading, I think in 1994. Seem to recall Shaka Hislop was playing for them but can’t remember much else other than being in the Upper Findus. I must have been 7 and we got free tickets through school...so that must work 😂
Posted by: Belfast Town, April 1, 2020, 9:38pm; Reply: 34
Home to Chesterfield on 27 March 1970. We won 1-0.

FFS, I’ve just realised I’ve been watching Town for over 50 years!!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 1, 2020, 9:45pm; Reply: 35

Started following Town in the late seventies, say no more I got hooked.

Can't remember which game though.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, April 2, 2020, 1:20am; Reply: 36
Mid 90s
Town 3-1 Sunderland
Livvo and Forrester with the goals.

Though being small I couldn't see much over the ad hoardings at the ponny end.
Posted by: Kris2, April 2, 2020, 2:07am; Reply: 37
1990 Grimsby vs Peterborough, result was a 1-2 loss. I don't really remember much about it other than my relatives from Peterborough visited and went to the game.  
Posted by: Ipswin, April 2, 2020, 7:44am; Reply: 38
Quoted from 137

More exciting than my first shag, if I'm honest!  ::)

And lasted a lot longer I suspect  ;D
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 2, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 39
Quoted from wigworld
Pre-season friendly against (maybe Lincolnshire cup) against the Scunts, late '70's/early '80's. We won either 2-0 or 2-1.
Didn't go to another game until 2009!  ;D

Whoa, now hang on! Explain yourself please, I’m baffled by this! And whatever the reason, I really feel for you, you missed 1989-1991 and 1998, yet decided to get into it not long before the horrors of 2010?!!!!
Posted by: cardiffmariner, April 2, 2020, 9:23am; Reply: 40
1-1 against Newcastle September 1983 in the Main Stand. I’ve always remembered it as a night match but looking back at the date appears it was a Saturday afternoon!

I was 8, my brother 6, and it was the Keegan effect that convinced my dad to take us for the first time. Was followed up in the next couple years with cup games against Norwich (League cup 1/4 final) and Watford (??) before it became a regular Saturday trip.

Just grateful for the first 15 years of supporting Town (minus Lyons, Roberts and a couple of others!) because the last 20 years have really tested my love! Utm
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 2, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 41
Quoted from cardiffmariner
1-1 against Newcastle September 1983 in the Main Stand. I’ve always remembered it as a night match but looking back at the date appears it was a Saturday afternoon!

I was 8, my brother 6, and it was the Keegan effect that convinced my dad to take us for the first time. Was followed up in the next couple years with cup games against Norwich (League cup 1/4 final) and Watford (??) before it became a regular Saturday trip.

Just grateful for the first 15 years of supporting Town (minus Lyons, Roberts and a couple of others!) because the last 20 years have really tested my love! Utm

A Newcastle side that included Keegan, Beardsley and Waddle which demonstrates how good we were at that time in our history. I was at that game but the Newcastle game I really remember is on Boxing Day around 1979 as don’t think I have seen so many away fans at BP, electric atmosphere, Mick Harford’s debut following his signing from Lincoln, but Drinkell looked a better prospect in a pretty boring 0-0 draw.
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 2, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 42
My first game was the 4-0 Sheff United game to win the title in 1980.

No wonder I was hooked from that day forward!!

UTMM
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 2, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Posh Harry
My first game was the 4-0 Sheff United game to win the title in 1980.

No wonder I was hooked from that day forward!!

UTMM

Must be the best first game on record Harry.
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, April 2, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 44
Town 1 Stockport 2 sometime in 1970 I recall. Watched from the Directors Box with my grandad as he was a friend of Paddy Hamilton the then chairman.

I remember naively sitting there wondering why there was no commentary!!
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, April 2, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 45
First game of the season August 1957 v Leyton Orient - won 7-2.
That was me done for the next 63 years to date, & still counting.
Memory plays tricks on me these days but methinks the line up included Clarie Williams, Don Donovan? Duncan Welbourne? Keith Jobling, Johnny Scott, Mike Cullen, Ron Rafferty, & Jimmy Fell.
Could have told you exactly - but went to sea in the mid sixties & my dear mum had a clear out & binned my program collection - which would have been worth a few bob these days. C'est la vie.
Posted by: cannylad68, April 2, 2020, 4:49pm; Reply: 46
21st. April 1951.
Home to West Ham in the 2nd. division, ( championship ).
Lost 1-0.
Relegated to Div 3 North.
I remember it very well, because the boy's pen was virtually empty. Only 3 or 4 of us. 3d. admission.
I think Bill Shankly became manager the following season.
I've not heard a Town manager sing to the crowd before kick off  over the PA since Bill Shankly.
Grimsby for fish, Grimsby for football, all to the Pompey chimes.
Posted by: Posh Harry, April 2, 2020, 8:24pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from grimsby pete

Must be the best first game on record Harry.

I can’t remember all of it to be honest Pete as I was only 11, but I do remember sabella and his flowing hair, the distinct smell of beer and cigarettes and the complete mayhem when the goals went in.

Obviously confined me to a lifetime of misery and heartache (mixed with some glorious highs), and you know what, I wouldn’t want it any other way. There are so many plastics in the world and they will never know how good it is to see Wayne Burnett score with the outside of his ankle and Nathan walk the ball into an empty net when the ball should have been going towards the corner flag 10 seconds earlier.

Who would want to win all the time. You need to experience the lows to make the highs so, so much better.

UTMM
Posted by: perthgeoff, April 3, 2020, 3:33am; Reply: 48
My first match watching the Mariners was the first home game when league fixtures resumed following the end of the war..Their first game was away to Man U at Maine Road, [ Old Trafford was bomb damaged during the war ], where the Mariners lost 2-1 in a hard fought match. I lived in Scunthorpe and don`t remember how I got to Grimsby for their opening home game played on a Tuesday evening against Wolverhampton Wanderers. I remember that the gates were closed on the popular side so I dashed round to the main stand area and just managed to squeeze in to stand in front of the main stand near the players race.It was a dour game resulting in a 0-0 draw with the last part of the match played in semi-darkness. I don`t remember the whole team but Tweedy,Vincent,Hodgson,Hall, Betmead and Buck formed the defense.  Most unusual was the captain,  `Ginger` Hall,who was a carpenter and not a full time player.The other thing of note,the playing group mentioned above all grew old together and were not replaced until  it was too late,resulting in the club being relegated the following season
Of course this was not my first game involving the Mariners.I`m not sure why but in 1941 Grimsby played their home matches at Scunthorpe, [ Scunthorpe did not have a club in that time ], so I started my love affair with the club in 1941 and have followed them through thick and thin since those days. Long may it continue.      
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, April 3, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 49
February 1978. Town 3 York 2

I grew up in Barcroft Street and could see the floodlights from my bedroom window. I nagged my mum and dad for what seemed forever to let me go to a match.

Mum was always a bit worried about the 'trouble' at football matches. I had a Town shirt- the classic white sleeves of the time. On a match days I would occasionally give a bit of lip to away supporters down our street before peddling off a full speed on my Raleigh Chopper!! Remember one time a couple of Wednesday fans chased me right down Harrington Street.

My dad was a trawlerman originally from Fleetwood and he was a Blackpool fan. So he wasnt that bothered about Town really. Every summer was spent with family in Fleetwood and I had actually been to Fleetwood &  Blackpool games a couple of times before i wore my dad down to talk mum round so he could take me to Blundell Park.

I remember York's claret Y kit. It was a dreary grey day I think and my dad and I stood in the Imperial Corner. It was a pretty good game and I loved it! I couldnt wait to go back. We didnt miss a home game for several seasons after that. After a couple of games we found 'our' spot at the back of the pontoon right behind the goal. Even my dad became a fan and I think he loved it as much as me (except maybe when Town beat Blackpool 4-3 in 1979 ! )

Town just missed out on promotion that season but finished the season quite strongly. I remember we beat the promoted teams Swansea (managed by John Toshack) Southend and Brentford and were unlucky to only to draw against Graham Taylors runaway champions Watford.

Some legends in that Town team Wainman ,Kev Moore, Mike Brolly, Fordy, Drinkell, Terry Donovan, Bobby Cumming , Malcolm Partridge, Geoff Barker...........amongst others.

My favourite player was and still is Joe Waters. He never seemed to have a bad game. And he played for the Republic of Ireland which I dreamt of doing as a kid.

It was a fantastic time to become a Town fan in the late 70's early 80's.
Posted by: dicko995, April 3, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 50
I cant really remember who we were playing. I was 6 years of age, im now 65. I know Charlie Wright was in goal, Graham Taylor was right back, I also remember, Brian Clifton, Ron Cockerill, Matt Tees , Rod Green, Brian Hill, Dougie Collins, Davie Boylen, Dave Worthington, . My big brother took me, I was in the Boys stand in the Barrets, always remember the smell of woodbines, and a lot of the fans had flasks. I know it was bloody cold, and from that day on, it was the beginning of a love affair with the Club. From then on, I went to the ground during the week to watch them train, George Higgins was always chatting to me, and Charlie Shaw the groundsman used to give me a sandwich from his lunch box. Great memories.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 4, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 51
No idea other than it would have been the McMenemy Champ season and I remember I was at the Exeter game and think I attended most Saturday home games that year as my old man would take me in to the main stand for free when he worked on the turnstiles. I would have been 8  I think
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 4, 2020, 4:42pm; Reply: 52
Christmas Day 1957. Grimsby 3 (Scott, Whitefoot, Fell) Liverpool 1

We lost 3-2 in the return on Boxing Day.

Until 1959 I was not permanently in Grimsby so only saw the odd match if my dad wasn't working,  but August 1959 was the first season I was allowed to go to BP on my own.

The first 3 home games of season 1959-60 were

Chesterfield - won 5-0
Colchester  - won 4-1
Accrington  - won 4 -0

I thought Town would carry on like that forever. ;D  Soon learned better. It has been a bit of a switchback ride over the past 63 years.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 4, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 53
Cardiff won 2-0 August 1975 , felt I belonged still do I think
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 4, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 54
Preston , April 12th 1963. Town won 2-0. Although I don't remember anything about the game I can remember being completely hooked.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), April 6, 2020, 1:58pm; Reply: 55
Town 2 Barnsley 0 FA Cup 2nd round replay December 1965.Hill and Green I think. My dad was docking just before the match and was given tickets by Paddy Hamilton . I went with my mum to pick him up. He drove to the ground  and parked on a bus stop. He got a ticket but being a fisherman he'd never taken his test. He made my mum take the fine. We then dropped him off at the Oberon.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 6, 2020, 2:16pm; Reply: 56
I can't be certain but I think it was Boxing Day 1975 with a 4-1 win over Rotherham. My grandad plonked me on the Barrett Stand fence and said "we're in black and white".

I've never forgiven him.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 6, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
February 1978. Town 3 York 2

I grew up in Barcroft Street and could see the floodlights from my bedroom window. I nagged my mum and dad for what seemed forever to let me go to a match.

Mum was always a bit worried about the 'trouble' at football matches. I had a Town shirt- the classic white sleeves of the time. On a match days I would occasionally give a bit of lip to away supporters down our street before peddling off a full speed on my Raleigh Chopper!! Remember one time a couple of Wednesday fans chased me right down Harrington Street.

My dad was a trawlerman originally from Fleetwood and he was a Blackpool fan. So he wasnt that bothered about Town really. Every summer was spent with family in Fleetwood and I had actually been to Fleetwood &  Blackpool games a couple of times before i wore my dad down to talk mum round so he could take me to Blundell Park.

I remember York's claret Y kit. It was a dreary grey day I think and my dad and I stood in the Imperial Corner. It was a pretty good game and I loved it! I couldnt wait to go back. We didnt miss a home game for several seasons after that. After a couple of games we found 'our' spot at the back of the pontoon right behind the goal. Even my dad became a fan and I think he loved it as much as me (except maybe when Town beat Blackpool 4-3 in 1979 ! )

Town just missed out on promotion that season but finished the season quite strongly. I remember we beat the promoted teams Swansea (managed by John Toshack) Southend and Brentford and were unlucky to only to draw against Graham Taylors runaway champions Watford.

Some legends in that Town team Wainman ,Kev Moore, Mike Brolly, Fordy, Drinkell, Terry Donovan, Bobby Cumming , Malcolm Partridge, Geoff Barker...........amongst others.

My favourite player was and still is Joe Waters. He never seemed to have a bad game. And he played for the Republic of Ireland which I dreamt of doing as a kid.

It was a fantastic time to become a Town fan in the late 70's early 80's.

The brought some nice memories flooding back. I loved Joe Waters.  As a kid I tried to be like him but failed dismally as I was never skillful enough.  I was more a Dean Crombie if anything.  My old man wasn't really into footie, so it was left to his brother to take me.  Most memorable matched were Everton and Wednesday the following week.  Unfortunately, my uncle couldn't always make so I couldn't get to as many matches as I would have liked.

My parents were divorced and my mum started seeing a bloke who was into football.  He was a LIverpool fan but followed Town as well.  Town were playing the great West Ham team and it was before you could buy tickets before the day.  Seems unthinkable now.  Anyway me mum was faffing and fussing and we got to the ground latish.  The queue stretched for miles and panic set in as I thought I was gonna miss kick off.  My stepdad who was a bit of a rum sodomist, said F*** this and grabbed of me and brazenly walked to the front of the queue.  My heart was pounding in my chest as we broke one of the greatest English taboos.  Anyway, we got to the front and one turnstile had a bloke twiddling his thumbs while everyone was going through the other.  We got in just as the whistle went.  We got hammered (pun intended) but it was a cracking game and we played well.  just West Hammer were a different class.

As soon as I was old enough I would go on my own.  I did three paper rounds so I could pay my own way even then. My mum said football was just twenty blokes kicking a bag of wind about and that  I was wasting my money.   My dad told her that I'd earned it so I could spend it how I liked.

I joined the RAF when I was 17 so couldn't go to many matches but I always coincidently went home to visit family when we were playing at home. :) After that I had a penchant for travel and lived in Mexico City.  I used to  travel across town to get the one English language newspaper so I could check the score.  Sometimes there was a short write up. Tinternet has obviously made it easier to follow GTFC and I'm glad of ifollow.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 6, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 58
Some great memories in this thread. Thanks for starting it Yossarian and everyone for sharing their memories.

My first game was the August 1971 League Cup game v Donny which we won 4:3. Glad my sister finally persuaded me to go. My sister,  my grandad (RIP), my uncle and my brother. Stood in the Osmond end I think - would that have been right then?

I could hardly see a thing because as a nervous 8 year old I wanted to stay with my family rather than stand at the front fence. But what a cracking atmosphere. And with the seesaw nature of the game Zi was bound to be hooked (in my unreliable memory it went 0:1 1:1 2:1 2:2 2:3 3:3 4:3).

When this is all over the atmosphere at the first home game is going to be like that first game back in the League in 2016. On steroids.
Posted by: golfer, April 9, 2020, 9:08am; Reply: 59
First game back - Macca not playing bad for a 60year old,  doesn't seem like 25 years since JSF gave the club to the Trust,  Have you seen the plans for the new ground-rumour has it that it's going to be on the site of the old Victoria Street Precinct
Posted by: Ipswin, April 9, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 60
Quoted from golfer
First game back - Macca not playing bad for a 60year old,  doesn't seem like 25 years since JSF gave the club to the Trust,  Have you seen the plans for the new ground-rumour has it that it's going to be on the site of the old Victoria Street Precinct

Where are you sitting, is there a special area for those over 120?

Posted by: penrith mariner, April 9, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Mayaman
I remember it was a night game and the opposition was Swansea. I just did some digging and it was 18 April 1978 which made me 11 ( my cousin of about 15 took me)  We were walking home and a car pulled up.  The window went down and a bloke said, "hey lads!  How do you like hospital food?"  We legged it down some alleyways.   Never looked back since.

That Swansea match was my first game too, my dad took me, stool in the open corner between the pontoon and Barrett stand. I think we won 2-1 too.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 9, 2020, 12:06pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from penrith mariner

That Swansea match was my first game too, my dad took me, stool in the open corner between the pontoon and Barrett stand. I think we won 2-1 too.

I know hygiene wasn't what it is now but thats just plain disgusting :P
Posted by: Boris Johnson, April 9, 2020, 2:28pm; Reply: 63
I was at the Matt Tees homecoming, I do remember that, so age 6 or 7 depending on the date, but think I was there a few months before that
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 9, 2020, 2:53pm; Reply: 64
Not my first match but fairly early in my career as a schoolboy fan I saw the second half of the Easter Monday home game with Bradford in 1962. On the Saturday we had lost at Hull City and promotion was in the balance. I was working weekends and holidays on the prom so I was devastated to miss the Bank Holiday game.

But I sneaked off and in those days the main stand gates were opened just after half time so you could get in for free. There I saw Town win 3-2 with a Scott penalty and a cracker from Freddy Jones. The following day we won 1-0 at Bradford in the return, on the Saturday we beat Watford 5-3 at BP and then won 2-0 at Brentford to get promotion.

On the subject of freebies,  until about 1964 you could swap ends at half time as well.
Posted by: golfer, April 9, 2020, 3:18pm; Reply: 65
I think left winger Freddie Jones was the fastest player I have ever seen
Posted by: cannylad68, April 10, 2020, 12:32pm; Reply: 66
Trouble with Freddie, he didn't know when to stop, often ended up outside the ground.  

I think he was a Welsh international.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:05am