Ipswin
April 9, 2020, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from golfer
First game back - Macca not playing bad for a 60year old,  doesn't seem like 25 years since JSF gave the club to the Trust,  Have you seen the plans for the new ground-rumour has it that it's going to be on the site of the old Victoria Street Precinct

Where are you sitting, is there a special area for those over 120?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
penrith mariner
April 9, 2020, 11:52am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +181
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mayaman
I remember it was a night game and the opposition was Swansea. I just did some digging and it was 18 April 1978 which made me 11 ( my cousin of about 15 took me)  We were walking home and a car pulled up.  The window went down and a bloke said, "hey lads!  How do you like hospital food?"  We legged it down some alleyways.   Never looked back since.

That Swansea match was my first game too, my dad took me, stool in the open corner between the pontoon and Barrett stand. I think we won 2-1 too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
Madeleymariner
April 9, 2020, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from penrith mariner

That Swansea match was my first game too, my dad took me, stool in the open corner between the pontoon and Barrett stand. I think we won 2-1 too.

I know hygiene wasn't what it is now but thats just plain disgusting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
Boris Johnson
April 9, 2020, 2:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
I was at the Matt Tees homecoming, I do remember that, so age 6 or 7 depending on the date, but think I was there a few months before that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 9, 2020, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Not my first match but fairly early in my career as a schoolboy fan I saw the second half of the Easter Monday home game with Bradford in 1962. On the Saturday we had lost at Hull City and promotion was in the balance. I was working weekends and holidays on the prom so I was devastated to miss the Bank Holiday game.

But I sneaked off and in those days the main stand gates were opened just after half time so you could get in for free. There I saw Town win 3-2 with a Scott penalty and a cracker from Freddy Jones. The following day we won 1-0 at Bradford in the return, on the Saturday we beat Watford 5-3 at BP and then won 2-0 at Brentford to get promotion.

On the subject of freebies,  until about 1964 you could swap ends at half time as well.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
golfer
April 9, 2020, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
I think left winger Freddie Jones was the fastest player I have ever seen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
cannylad68
April 10, 2020, 12:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Trouble with Freddie, he didn't know when to stop, often ended up outside the ground.  

I think he was a Welsh international.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What was your first Town Match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.