bedders78
February 20, 2020, 12:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Chazzer

You missed my point, I wasn't referring to the style of play. It was results that changed from an inspirational pragmatic manager. Charlton took over a team that were in the shadows internationally and brought them into the top 10 in FIFA World rankings. That was sensational at the time. What I meant was that he instilled a self-belief and confidence into a team primarily of journeymen footballers and they came out expecting to win every game even against the likes of Brazil and Germany.

I'm getting a similar sense of this with Ollie and we can see the difference already.

A large part of Big Jack's success down to his expertise in genealogy

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
golfer
February 21, 2020, 3:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Found a page out of Jolly's notebook - how things have changed - " Macca pass to Davis ,Davis kick in air to Rose,  Rose run down left wing,stop near corner flag, nearly fall over ball to fool defender, pass back to Ring, pass lovely ball to Hanson, Hanson head ball down to Green, Green trap ball at 3rd attempt to give defender false sense of security and then smack defender in face with arm, pass ball to Wright, Wright beat 4 men then allow yourself to be fouled, Wright take quick free kick to Rose, Rose back pass to Ring Ring lovely square ball to Clifton. Clifton stand still until attacker creeps up behind and let him take ball off you, Allow attacker to shoot so that Macca can save. Macca pass to Davis, Davis kick in air to Rose, Rose run down left wing,stop near corner flag ----

Olly pre match notes - " Keep ball on fking ground, score fking goals and run till you fking drop -OR ELSE !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
barralad
February 21, 2020, 3:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from bedders78

A large part of Big Jack's success down to his expertise in genealogy

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
barralad
February 21, 2020, 3:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I think it's a shame in some ways that the natural thing is to make a comparison. Mr Jolly was as history will bear out the right appointment at the right time. We may not have been certainties for relegation under Slade but by God we were heading that way. The fact that he was able to turn around our fortunes (however lucky that might have been (thinking Swindon away!) means that I will always have a soft spot for the time he spent here.
On a more personal level he was extremely supportive of The Trust both with his own time and making players available for our events-something we never had during Slade's ill-starred tenure.
For what it's worth I agree with RRFC about his lack of experience finding him out and it would appear at least so far that the decision to leave/finish his time here was a good one.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
rancido
February 21, 2020, 3:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad
I think it's a shame in some ways that the natural thing is to make a comparison. Mr Jolly was as history will bear out the right appointment at the right time. We may not have been certainties for relegation under Slade but by God we were heading that way. The fact that he was able to turn around our fortunes (however lucky that might have been (thinking Swindon away!) means that I will always have a soft spot for the time he spent here.
On a more personal level he was extremely supportive of The Trust both with his own time and making players available for our events-something we never had during Slade's ill-starred tenure.
For what it's worth I agree with RRFC about his lack of experience finding him out and it would appear at least so far that the decision to leave/finish his time here was a good one.

I agree that his lack of experience caught him out. He will have learnt all the theory in his coaching qualifications but he needed time to apply that and correct things to achieve a more practical approach. Maybe two or three seasons with a run of the mill non-league club would have helped him to gain that experience as opposed to a league club with a fan base and club that had high expectations of promotion ( and rightly so ).

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2020, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2020, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
oochiad
February 21, 2020, 9:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,709
Gold Stars: 27
Fantastic stuff! Well done Macca!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whats changed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.