4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
chrissy
February 17, 2020, 6:49pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Ollie has a wealth of experience both in playing and management, Jolley's knowledge was gained in the classroom and coaching youths and he himself said results were not important at that level.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
austrianmariner
February 17, 2020, 7:03pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +15
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
How has it all changed so much, in such a short period of time?

I was a big fan of MJ, and was gutted when he went, but looking where we are now, it's all for the best.

For me, the majority of players he have signed have all been huge for us

Glennon, Class above, best LB since Townsend, and will have a great career
Benson, Ooses class, brave, clever on the ball, and has a real eye for a pass, a rear quality at this level
Clarke, Best one for me, how have Plymouth let him go? I know they are doing well, but this player would be comfortable in league 1, or am I getting carried away?
Grandin, Tilley & Garmston all need game time before saying that they are world beaters, but all showed quality in the limited time so far.

But he's got Vernam playing. something we all knew he had, but never really delivered
Pollock has so much confidence for a young lad, and I think that Waterfall is playing a huge part in that, IH has mentioned a few times how good Waterfall is off the pitch.
Whitehouse, wasn't really a stand out player for me, did a job, but nothing more, but all of a sudden, he's starting, he's scoring, and he's making a massive difference

How can 1 man, make such a huge difference to players and us fans?

This is the first time I've posted on here...

I think the big difference that Ollie knows what he is doing. Living in Austria I don't get to go to Blundell Park so I don't know what the atmosphere was like after MJ came in and saved the club from relegation, but I do watch almost every game online and from what I saw was a steady decline under MJ. He was absolutely clueless and with the exception of the odd game (Exeter away?) there were no tactics, no passion and no idea on the pitch and that was all down to the manager MJ. The players he brought in were decent but he couldn't get them to perform.

There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago flagging up Ollie's record, and yes it might not be a full on stellar one as afar as win percentages go, but what he has had is (relative) success and has gained experience elsewhere within the footballing pyramid as a manager. The likes of Laws, Woods, Groves, Rodgers, and Jolley had zero experience and it showed.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
jock dock tower
February 17, 2020, 7:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Even if you're not a football person, if you have good people skills you cam folk respond well to you. If you have both these things, with IH seems to have it's the perfect combination. Big Lawrie Mac was another who knew the benefits of good man to man handling as well as developed communication skills.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
February 17, 2020, 7:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from austrianmariner
This is the first time I've posted on here...

I think the big difference that Ollie knows what he is doing. Living in Austria I don't get to go to Blundell Park so I don't know what the atmosphere was like after MJ came in and saved the club from relegation, but I do watch almost every game online and from what I saw was a steady decline under MJ. He was absolutely clueless and with the exception of the odd game (Exeter away?) there were no tactics, no passion and no idea on the pitch and that was all down to the manager MJ. The players he brought in were decent but he couldn't get them to perform.

There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago flagging up Ollie's record, and yes it might not be a full on stellar one as afar as win percentages go, but what he has had is (relative) success and has gained experience elsewhere within the footballing pyramid as a manager. The likes of Laws, Woods, Groves, Rodgers, and Jolley had zero experience and it showed.    

For a first post, I'd say you've nailed it pretty well.

Welcome to the (globally visible) part of being a Town fan.
Reply: 13 - 37
austrianmariner
February 17, 2020, 7:31pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +15
Quoted from 137

For a first post, I'd say you've nailed it pretty well.

Welcome to the (globally visible) part of being a Town fan.

Cheers Chiangmai!! I'm originally from t'other end of the A15 (Barton) and got to see Town under Buckley (twice), Laws, Lawrence and first bit of Groves, before moving here in 2003 so it has been quite sad seeing the slow demise from afar. But hopefully now with Ollie in charge things can start to move upwards steadily and consistently.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
ginnywings
February 17, 2020, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from austrianmariner

Cheers Chiangmai!! I'm originally from t'other end of the A15 (Barton) and got to see Town under Buckley (twice), Laws, Lawrence and first bit of Groves, before moving here in 2003 so it has been quite sad seeing the slow demise from afar. But hopefully now with Ollie in charge things can start to move upwards steadily and consistently.  

You got out at the right time, lucky sod.

Welcome.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
dicko995
February 17, 2020, 7:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
To be honest, its getting a bit too much now. Ollie is everywhere, good for publicity, but it can only go so far when you think that enough is enough and lets just get on with it. He,s everywhere like a rash. Ok, hes a brilliant manager and we get where he,s going with the Club, but everywhere you look, hes there. Calm it all down and lets get on with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Northbank Mariner
February 17, 2020, 8:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from dicko995
To be honest, its getting a bit too much now. Ollie is everywhere, good for publicity, but it can only go so far when you think that enough is enough and lets just get on with it. He,s everywhere like a rash. Ok, hes a brilliant manager and we get where he,s going with the Club, but everywhere you look, hes there. Calm it all down and lets get on with it.

Sorry Dicko but you're miles off the mark...after enduring years of shite with this club I, and probably loads more, are soaking all this positivity, brilliant PR and feel good factor up that Holloway is singlehandedly bringing to our club..long may it bloody continue too!!..fill your glass half full for a change!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
jamesgtfc
February 17, 2020, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
As much as IH is old school, he is a man manager. He knows how to keep the right people happy (Grandin and Clarke resigning for him evidence that).

Sean Dyche knows how his players best respond to instructions. Some need a rocket, some need an arm around them and others respond best when someone else delivers the message. "My way or the highway" never works.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
February 17, 2020, 11:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from dicko995

I think Ollie's in agreement with you.

Not a problem we're used to...but it's not the worst "problem" to have.

UTMM
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whats changed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.