Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

just back

This thread currently has 14,623 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
February 16, 2020, 10:46am
Guest User
Just watched the extended highlights a couple of times, and it's fairly obvious that Macca could have headed that ball clear.
Reply: 40 - 60
Gaffer58
February 16, 2020, 11:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
As Ollie wants us to play out from the back more rather then just hoofing it, we’ve all seen how successful that method is, perhaps that’s why we will occasionally gift the opposition a chance, even John Stones ( an England international) at Man City will hake a poor pass in his own half. Personally I know which style of football I prefer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 16, 2020, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 123614
Just watched the extended highlights a couple of times, and it's fairly obvious that Macca could have headed that ball clear.

That was what I thought too. He must have acted on goalkeeper’s instincts - hands, knees and .......

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
mariner91
February 16, 2020, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from toontown

Yes it was v much improved.

We still fannyed about at the back for no reason too much for my liking. We were lucky that when it did come to bite us, as it inevitably would do, it was too late to matter. Our CBs are not comfortable enough on the ball for the amount of unnecessary passing we r doing across the defence in my opinion. That's the reason our po ssesion stats are so high.

As has been said grandin is such a tidy player. Thought the decision to bring him off for Clifton was just the right time tho. They had just changed to go for it more and we needed to be able to break up their play more.

Whitehouse is unrecognisanle from the player earlier this season. Benson played well. Thought Hanson was poor tbh but then he scored a very well taken goal. Green came on and was better than dreadful for a change, probably because he was played in his proper position of a front 2. Vernam played well but his final shot was off.

Some lovely entertaining touches from Clarke and grandin. Entertaining positive football at home, i' d forgotten what that was like under limbrick/jolley/slade - thankyou ollie!

Would you prefer that the defenders went with the no nonsense, kick it long and hard as soon as possible approach that we had under Jolley? This team has transitioned from playing some of the most mundane, static and percentage football we've ever seen to attempting a progressive, possession based style in approximately 6 weeks. It wasn't many months ago we managed less than 30% possession away at Cambridge who themselves are fairly naff. Yesterday we had 67% of the possession in terrible footballing conditions. That's a huge difference which involves far more patterns of movement, cohesion and individual confidence to receive and keep the ball in tight areas. These are not easy things to improve over 6 weeks, particularly mid season.

It's quite clear that for the first time in approximately 2.5 seasons we have an actual plan for the team and a style that we're trying to implement. It is refreshing that we're going to play to our strengths and stick to our game plan rather than worrying about the opposition or playing for the percentages. There will be mistakes, we will come a cropper from it occasionally but in my opinion we're far more likely to have success from knowing how we're going to play and sticking to our strengths. Not only that but it's far more entertaining to watch. Even the game away at Crawley where we were rubbish for the last half hour was still far more entertaining in the first half from a Town perspective than virtually all of Jolley and Slade's games. We need to be patient and accept that it won't always come off. No shouting to get it forward or moaning when it doesn't come off. We're heading in the right direction under Ollie, settle in and get with the programme.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
rancido
February 16, 2020, 12:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mariner91

Would you prefer that the defenders went with the no nonsense, kick it long and hard as soon as possible approach that we had under Jolley? This team has transitioned from playing some of the most mundane, static and percentage football we've ever seen to attempting a progressive, possession based style in approximately 6 weeks. It wasn't many months ago we managed less than 30% possession away at Cambridge who themselves are fairly naff. Yesterday we had 67% of the possession in terrible footballing conditions. That's a huge difference which involves far more patterns of movement, cohesion and individual confidence to receive and keep the ball in tight areas. These are not easy things to improve over 6 weeks, particularly mid season.

It's quite clear that for the first time in approximately 2.5 seasons we have an actual plan for the team and a style that we're trying to implement. It is refreshing that we're going to play to our strengths and stick to our game plan rather than worrying about the opposition or playing for the percentages. There will be mistakes, we will come a cropper from it occasionally but in my opinion we're far more likely to have success from knowing how we're going to play and sticking to our strengths. Not only that but it's far more entertaining to watch. Even the game away at Crawley where we were rubbish for the last half hour was still far more entertaining in the first half from a Town perspective than virtually all of Jolley and Slade's games. We need to be patient and accept that it won't always come off. No shouting to get it forward or moaning when it doesn't come off. We're heading in the right direction under Ollie, settle in and get with the programme.

This nails it for me ! Playing from the back is the best constructive approach in the modern game. I know we don't have the most gifted centre-backs in this department but it shouldn't prevent us from instilling this instinct into the squad. Pollock is still learning his trade and under Ollie's guidance I'm sure he can be coached in this area.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 16, 2020, 12:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

It is about decision making. I doubt if anyone is against playing it out from the back providing the defender has the time and space to quickly find a team mate with something that isn’t a hospital pass. I heard Ollie only the other day after the Colchester game saying he had told the lads that there are times when you just have to hit the ball. It is common sense, we don’t want a return to the slow, slow and hump it days of Hurst and Jolley but neither do we want goals given away by fannying about in dangerous areas. If it needs to be in Row Z then put it there!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
mariner91
February 16, 2020, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261

It is about decision making. I doubt if anyone is against playing it out from the back providing the defender has the time and space to quickly find a team mate with something that isn’t a hospital pass. I heard Ollie only the other day after the Colchester game saying he had told the lads that there are times when you just have to hit the ball. It is common sense, we don’t want a return to the slow, slow and hump it days of Hurst and Jolley but neither do we want goals given away by fannying about in dangerous areas. If it needs to be in Row Z then put it there!

You say that but I guarantee every time the ball is switched across the back line some idiot will shout "Get it forward". If there's nothing immediately on into the midfield  then you're often better playing across the back line to move the opposition about to create space in which you can play it forward. Obviously there are times when you need to clear it but I haven't seen our defenders messing about with it for the sake of it yet, and I can't recall many times since Ollie has been in charge that we've given a goal away from over playing across the defence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
rancido
February 16, 2020, 12:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mariner91

You say that but I guarantee every time the ball is switched across the back line some idiot will shout "Get it forward". If there's nothing immediately on into the midfield  then you're often better playing across the back line to move the opposition about to create space in which you can play it forward. Obviously there are times when you need to clear it but I haven't seen our defenders messing about with it for the sake of it yet, and I can't recall many times since Ollie has been in charge that we've given a goal away from over playing across the defence.

Exactly! Every time the ball is passed across the back the opposition have to correct their positions to counteract this. We are letting the ball do the work and the opposition are constantly on the move , never knowing when the ball will be moved forward. It also gives the centre-backs the opportunity to play a long pass forward ( not just a hopeful punt) which is something we tried several times in the first half yesterday but sadly the wind gusts affected these.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
grimps
February 16, 2020, 12:46pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46

When we do his it long it’s usually the diagonal ball towards a wing deep in their half , of our player doesn’t manage to get to it it’ll go out for a throw or there will be an opposition defender under pressure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 16, 2020, 1:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I thought that’s what I said.

One point about playing it across the back though. You do need defenders who can actually do it without giving the ball away or putting their mate in hospital. Our full backs are pretty good now on this but the central defenders can give the fans heart failure and/or the ball ends up back with the keeper.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.