Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mimma, February 15, 2020, 5:28pm
Good game in those conditions.  Didn't realise how strong the wind was until I left the ground.

Good game of football with both teams keeping on the deck. We kept the ball really well with Grandin always available and looking for the ball. He never gave it away or lost it once all game. He will be the glue that holds the midfield together. Hanson did well for the first, the keeper hesitated and he nipped in and clipped into the net. Second was a good free kick that took a huge deflection into the net off the bar.

We are now a good football side that keep the ball move for each other and look for an opening. We don't seem to have a weakness at the moment in any area.

MOM was Elliott Grandin.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 15, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from mimma
Good game in those conditions.  Didn't realise how strong the wind was until I left the ground.

Good game of football with both teams keeping on the deck. We kept the ball really well with Grandin always available and looking for the ball. He never gave it away or lost it once all game. He will be the glue that holds the midfield together. Hanson did well for the first, the keeper hesitated and he nipped in and clipped into the net. Second was a good free kick that took a huge deflection into the net off the bar.

We are now a good football side that keep the ball move for each other and look for an opening. We don't seem to have a weakness at the moment in any area.

MOM was Elliott Grandin.

Robson MOM for me!
Posted by: Hagrid, February 15, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 2
Thought grandin was superb, charlie needed to pass it more when in certain positions but form he’s in cant blame him having a go. Exciting times
Posted by: Perkins, February 15, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Robson MOM for me!

EH?

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 15, 2020, 6:03pm; Reply: 4

Good game given the conditions.

The thing that pleased me the most was we didn't start sitting deep when we took the lead, we just kept going at them.

At last I don't have to drag myself to BP anymore.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 15, 2020, 6:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Perkins

EH?

Ruddy Benson I meant!! It's my age!!
Posted by: ponnyfan, February 15, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 6
Slide rule finish from James Hanson delivered with a real win to win ..., UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 15, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ponnyfan
Slide rule finish from James Hanson delivered with a real win to win ..., UTM

The ball to Hanson was sublime, can't remember who it was !!

Posted by: jock dock tower, February 15, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 8
Win our games in hand, whenever they are and we sit a point clear of FGR. Who could have predicted that six weeks back? Only Port Vale and Crewe have better playing records than us, in the top seven, these last five games. Onwards and upwards.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 15, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

The ball to Hanson was sublime, can't remember who it was !!

I think it was Clarke
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 15, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 10
Enjoyed that. Great to see such attacking intent and proper footballers being asked to play.
Posted by: thefish, February 15, 2020, 7:03pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from The Yard Dog

I think it was Clarke

I know it was Clarke! Great pass!
Posted by: Meza, February 15, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 12
Nice

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zJh6dK5.png[/img]
Posted by: oochiad, February 15, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 13
We have a great footballing team and it’s very exciting!! Some of the passing today was superb! UTMM!
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 15, 2020, 7:30pm; Reply: 14
What was the attendance today, please?
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, February 15, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jock dock tower
What was the attendance today, please?

4704 I think with 63 away fans.
Posted by: It Bites, February 15, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 16

4704 I think with 63 away fans.

63   Therein lies the problem with direct promotion to the EFL
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 15, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 17
Was their goal from an intentional back pass. I’d looked away at that moment, but surely no one would give a keeper an intentional pass back like that for the him to deal with?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 15, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Was their goal from an intentional back pass. I’d looked away at that moment, but surely no one would give a keeper an intentional pass back like that for the him to deal with?

It was a backpass from Waterfall but in his defence, the wind took it up into the air massively, meaning Macca had to handle it or Leith-Smith would have had a simple tap into the net.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 19
Who did John Tondeur say was sitting with Fenty,ex Southend Striker?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 15, 2020, 8:14pm; Reply: 20
Thanks for that Mighty. Hopefully it all will be shown on the highlights. Still cannot believe anyone would intentionally do a back pass like that.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, February 15, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from friskneymariner

I heard what sounded like Hugh Garden but I Googled it got a lot of streets in UK rather than a footballer 😳
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2020, 8:33pm; Reply: 22
I think that Waterfall got a bobble. His passing had been otherwise good so I'm sure he didn't intend to chip the ball up like that. A bit soft, but there you go, it didn't matter. Just as long as we don't miss out on the play-offs through goal difference! ;)
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, February 15, 2020, 8:34pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from friskneymariner

I had a look at their squad and there’s a Lewis Gard 🤷‍♂️
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 15, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 24
Mr Kettle had a good game and NO CARDS, surprise surprise  ;D ;D
Posted by: barrattstandman, February 15, 2020, 8:52pm; Reply: 25
There was a young lad maybe 18 years old Sat behind me with a Welling tracksuit top on . Maybe a trialling?. He was a long way from home  just to take in a football match .
Posted by: Poojah, February 15, 2020, 9:17pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Numanoid

Are you sure he didn't say that fenty was sat with huge harden cos that's what I thought he said lol

That’s what sexy football does for you...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 15, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from It Bites

63   Therein lies the problem with direct promotion to the EFL

Explain to us all how you get indirect promotion ?
Posted by: Tommy, February 15, 2020, 9:43pm; Reply: 28
The difference in the football being served up at BP from earlier in the season to now is quite astounding.

We had 67% possession today. I don't think I've ever seen Town sides have that much possession. It's been coming though, I think we've been having the greater share of possession in most games in recent weeks. I know possession isn't everything and doesn't mean much if you don't put the ball in the net, but it gives you a chance, and it's sure as hell better to watch.

Today was all about patience in my opinion. And the patience of our lads won the game. We try to play and move the opposition around. We try to build from the back into midfield, and if we can't get further forward than that we'll come back and start at the back again. People are moving off the ball, not penned into their rigid little area they've been told to be in anymore, and players are confident enough to pass and receive the ball under pressure.

Morecambe had some early efforts at our goal but the longer the game wore on, they were happy sitting in protecting their clean sheet. The second half in particular saw us step up the pressure and build momentum. We were starting to get Vernam on the ball a bit more, and Clarke showed some absolutely impeccable touches. The change getting Green on helped get the breakthrough, not so much because of his performance but just due to the extra man up there which reduced the number of spare bodies they had back there defending.

But the key for me, as I said, was our patience. It's easy to start to panic and, through a sense of urgency as time ticks away, start to go more direct and be less composed. But despite time ticking away in that second half, our team stuck to the playing philosophy that Holloway is building. They still passed the ball, and they tried to work openings rather than forcing things forward. This, deservedly, won us the game I thought.

Possession: 67% to their 33%.
Shots: 21 to their 9.
Shots on target: 7 to their 3.

Really enjoying watching this Town team. Already can't wait for the next game. Not only that, I'm excited for what Holloway could have us playing like next season, after having this impact mid-season within a matter of weeks.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 15, 2020, 9:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Tommy
The difference in the football being served up at BP from earlier in the season to now is quite astounding.

We had 67% possession today. I don't think I've ever seen Town sides have that much possession. It's been coming though, I think we've been having the greater share of possession in most games in recent weeks. I know possession isn't everything and doesn't mean much if you don't put the ball in the net, but it gives you a chance, and it's sure as hell better to watch.

Today was all about patience in my opinion. And the patience of our lads won the game. We try to play and move the opposition around. We try to build from the back into midfield, and if we can't get further forward than that we'll come back and start at the back again. People are moving off the ball, not penned into their rigid little area they've been told to be in anymore, and players are confident enough to pass and receive the ball under pressure.

Morecambe had some early efforts at our goal but the longer the game wore on, they were happy sitting in protecting their clean sheet. The second half in particular saw us step up the pressure and build momentum. We were starting to get Vernam on the ball a bit more, and Clarke showed some absolutely impeccable touches. The change getting Green on helped get the breakthrough, not so much because of his performance but just due to the extra man up there which reduced the number of spare bodies they had back there defending.

But the key for me, as I said, was our patience. It's easy to start to panic and, through a sense of urgency as time ticks away, start to go more direct and be less composed. But despite time ticking away in that second half, our team stuck to the playing philosophy that Holloway is building. They still passed the ball, and they tried to work openings rather than forcing things forward. This, deservedly, won us the game I thought.

Possession: 67% to their 33%.
Shots: 21 to their 9.
Shots on target: 7 to their 3.

Really enjoying watching this Town team. Already can't wait for the next game. Not only that, I'm excited for what Holloway could have us playing like next season, after having this impact mid-season within a matter of weeks.

Amen to that 👍
Posted by: TAGG, February 15, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 30
Grandins first half performance was the best I have seen since Scott Parker bossed the job for Newcastle against us years ago.
He was flagging a bit in the second half but MOM by a mile and that's saying something considering some of the great performances today UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 15, 2020, 10:01pm; Reply: 31
The fact that there are 3 or 4 nominees on here for MOM tonight shows how well Town played in difficult conditions. Well done to both sides for trying to make a game of it.  

Despite them doing a really good job on us in the 1st half once we’d got our heads around stuck it back on them by stretching the game, keeping the ball much better and getting them to do a lot of running without possession.

We where able to take control as IH has brought in the likes of Clarke (my MOM), Benson, Glennon and on the basis of today Grandin who all can not only keep the ball but they can pass it too, something we’ve not done well since we came back to the EFL.

As well as the new lads the lads IH inherited are clearly enjoying it and this was underlined today by the likes of Hanson, Hendrie, Whitehouse, Chas and both CB’s all of whom have just been given licence to play.

So away from a good Town performance today 3 things struck me ....

1. Despite the fact that they could mathematically drop out of the league I thought the Morecambe lads made a game of it and unlike fellow strugglers Stevenage where pretty honest, no stealing free kicks or blatant time wasting from what I remember. It would have been easy for them to come to BP to “get a point”.

2. All our players wanted the ball today especially the mid field 3 who looked hungry for work and brimming with confidence & belief in what they could do.

3 Lots of talk about Man City in the last 24 hours but though the events since NYD hasn’t pumped millions into the club the feel good factor and return to entertaining IH has brought feels really good.

Overall good win, played well and I’m 100% sure there is more to come.

UTM!!
Posted by: LH, February 15, 2020, 10:34pm; Reply: 32
There are a few things that have changed in the last six or so weeks that people have asked for over a long period on this forum and other mediums:

-Dominance in home performances
-Classy, experienced players from higher divisions joining the team
-Entertainment
-Interesting post match interviews

Yes, it is early days but the signs are good.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 15, 2020, 10:42pm; Reply: 33
Seeing some of the passing and movement on the highlights from recent games shows the remarkable difference in a short period of time. Enjoyable football returns. Great stuff. Well done Olly and the whole squad and staff.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 16, 2020, 2:02am; Reply: 34
Well for me...
Morecambe had the better of the first 20 mins, aided by the wind and our own insistance that Monkhouse had reincarnated himself and was playing  left wing again...it seemed like our only plan was to hit a long diagonal to the left...once we gave up on that and realised that wasnt working then we started to keep the ball and grew into the game.
Finished the half on the front foot and looked the more likely by half time. Credit to Morecambe though as they were playing some nice football.
Second half we completely dominated, Vernam again almost unplayable, although a little greedy/ predictable , Clarke sublime, Grandin i dont think wasted a pass in his 70 odd minutes, very classy player.
I was thinking it might not happen but luckily for us their keeper had a hesitant moment or two and by the time Hanson was favourite for the ball he decided to go for it but James tucked it over him very neatly to open the scoring, the next 10 - 15 mins we were fantastic, players only thinking about scoring more, Vernam in overdrive, Benson, Glennon livened up and it was really a case of how many we would win by.

Bensons free kick came at a time when it looked we had petered out slightly, lucky deflection but in reality no more than we deserved.

Their goal, came from p1ss1ng about with it when we didnt need to, Waterfall's dodgy backpass was a collective mistake of not getting it forward when we could of...Macca's decision not to head it/chest it/knee it just compounded the previous collective "lets just fck about with it"mistake.

Comfortable win in the end, some great attacking football on display.

Vernam lively, Glennon decent, Hendrie lively, Benson quieter than of late but ok, Clarke sublime...his movement and touch absolutely a class above, Grandin...i dont recall a wasted pass in his whole game, never looked under pressure, never looked flustered, always in control, class act.

Full value for 3 points. On we go.

UTM

Oh and overall a very good game, played by two honest teams and a sensible ref who seemed happy to let play flow.

Posted by: Mayaman, February 16, 2020, 3:51am; Reply: 35
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Ruddy Benson I meant!! It's my age!!

He's classy on the ball. Great control/

Posted by: Mayaman, February 16, 2020, 4:09am; Reply: 36
Good comments all round.  Just to add Macca's distribution is much better.
Posted by: toontown, February 16, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mayaman
Good comments all round.  Just to add Macca's distribution is much better.

Yes it was v much improved.

We still fannyed about at the back for no reason too much for my liking. We were lucky that when it did come to bite us, as it inevitably would do, it was too late to matter. Our CBs are not comfortable enough on the ball for the amount of unnecessary passing we r doing across the defence in my opinion. That's the reason our po ssesion stats are so high.

As has been said grandin is such a tidy player. Thought the decision to bring him off for Clifton was just the right time tho. They had just changed to go for it more and we needed to be able to break up their play more.

Whitehouse is unrecognisanle from the player earlier this season. Benson played well. Thought Hanson was poor tbh but then he scored a very well taken goal. Green came on and was better than dreadful for a change, probably because he was played in his proper position of a front 2. Vernam played well but his final shot was off.

Some lovely entertaining touches from Clarke and grandin. Entertaining positive football at home, i' d forgotten what that was like under limbrick/jolley/slade - thankyou ollie!
Posted by: forza ivano, February 16, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 38
Listening to Holloways comments over the period I suspect that a pacey ball playing centre half might be one of his prime targets in the summer.
Just a word on the gate ,pretty decent I'd say given the lack of away support, the conditions and not as many free tickets being distributed,.up on the last home game and 1000 more than we were getting under Limbrick, that's a decent 30% increase.
Swindon next week will be v interesting, not expecting anything just fascinated to see how we get on against a top team
Posted by: Mayaman, February 16, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano
Listening to Holloways comments over the period I suspect that a pacey ball playing centre half might be one of his prime targets in the summer.
Just a word on the gate ,pretty decent I'd say given the lack of away support, the conditions and not as many free tickets being distributed,.up on the last home game and 1000 more than we were getting under Limbrick, that's a decent 30% increase.
Swindon next week will be v interesting, not expecting anything just fascinated to see how we get on against a top team

Remember Exeter!!

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 16, 2020, 10:46am; Reply: 40
Just watched the extended highlights a couple of times, and it's fairly obvious that Macca could have headed that ball clear.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 16, 2020, 11:01am; Reply: 41
As Ollie wants us to play out from the back more rather then just hoofing it, we’ve all seen how successful that method is, perhaps that’s why we will occasionally gift the opposition a chance, even John Stones ( an England international) at Man City will hake a poor pass in his own half. Personally I know which style of football I prefer.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 16, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 123614
Just watched the extended highlights a couple of times, and it's fairly obvious that Macca could have headed that ball clear.

That was what I thought too. He must have acted on goalkeeper’s instincts - hands, knees and .......

Posted by: mariner91, February 16, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from toontown

Yes it was v much improved.

We still fannyed about at the back for no reason too much for my liking. We were lucky that when it did come to bite us, as it inevitably would do, it was too late to matter. Our CBs are not comfortable enough on the ball for the amount of unnecessary passing we r doing across the defence in my opinion. That's the reason our po ssesion stats are so high.

As has been said grandin is such a tidy player. Thought the decision to bring him off for Clifton was just the right time tho. They had just changed to go for it more and we needed to be able to break up their play more.

Whitehouse is unrecognisanle from the player earlier this season. Benson played well. Thought Hanson was poor tbh but then he scored a very well taken goal. Green came on and was better than dreadful for a change, probably because he was played in his proper position of a front 2. Vernam played well but his final shot was off.

Some lovely entertaining touches from Clarke and grandin. Entertaining positive football at home, i' d forgotten what that was like under limbrick/jolley/slade - thankyou ollie!

Would you prefer that the defenders went with the no nonsense, kick it long and hard as soon as possible approach that we had under Jolley? This team has transitioned from playing some of the most mundane, static and percentage football we've ever seen to attempting a progressive, possession based style in approximately 6 weeks. It wasn't many months ago we managed less than 30% possession away at Cambridge who themselves are fairly naff. Yesterday we had 67% of the possession in terrible footballing conditions. That's a huge difference which involves far more patterns of movement, cohesion and individual confidence to receive and keep the ball in tight areas. These are not easy things to improve over 6 weeks, particularly mid season.

It's quite clear that for the first time in approximately 2.5 seasons we have an actual plan for the team and a style that we're trying to implement. It is refreshing that we're going to play to our strengths and stick to our game plan rather than worrying about the opposition or playing for the percentages. There will be mistakes, we will come a cropper from it occasionally but in my opinion we're far more likely to have success from knowing how we're going to play and sticking to our strengths. Not only that but it's far more entertaining to watch. Even the game away at Crawley where we were rubbish for the last half hour was still far more entertaining in the first half from a Town perspective than virtually all of Jolley and Slade's games. We need to be patient and accept that it won't always come off. No shouting to get it forward or moaning when it doesn't come off. We're heading in the right direction under Ollie, settle in and get with the programme.
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2020, 12:19pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from mariner91

Would you prefer that the defenders went with the no nonsense, kick it long and hard as soon as possible approach that we had under Jolley? This team has transitioned from playing some of the most mundane, static and percentage football we've ever seen to attempting a progressive, possession based style in approximately 6 weeks. It wasn't many months ago we managed less than 30% possession away at Cambridge who themselves are fairly naff. Yesterday we had 67% of the possession in terrible footballing conditions. That's a huge difference which involves far more patterns of movement, cohesion and individual confidence to receive and keep the ball in tight areas. These are not easy things to improve over 6 weeks, particularly mid season.

It's quite clear that for the first time in approximately 2.5 seasons we have an actual plan for the team and a style that we're trying to implement. It is refreshing that we're going to play to our strengths and stick to our game plan rather than worrying about the opposition or playing for the percentages. There will be mistakes, we will come a cropper from it occasionally but in my opinion we're far more likely to have success from knowing how we're going to play and sticking to our strengths. Not only that but it's far more entertaining to watch. Even the game away at Crawley where we were rubbish for the last half hour was still far more entertaining in the first half from a Town perspective than virtually all of Jolley and Slade's games. We need to be patient and accept that it won't always come off. No shouting to get it forward or moaning when it doesn't come off. We're heading in the right direction under Ollie, settle in and get with the programme.

This nails it for me ! Playing from the back is the best constructive approach in the modern game. I know we don't have the most gifted centre-backs in this department but it shouldn't prevent us from instilling this instinct into the squad. Pollock is still learning his trade and under Ollie's guidance I'm sure he can be coached in this area.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 16, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mariner91

It is about decision making. I doubt if anyone is against playing it out from the back providing the defender has the time and space to quickly find a team mate with something that isn’t a hospital pass. I heard Ollie only the other day after the Colchester game saying he had told the lads that there are times when you just have to hit the ball. It is common sense, we don’t want a return to the slow, slow and hump it days of Hurst and Jolley but neither do we want goals given away by fannying about in dangerous areas. If it needs to be in Row Z then put it there!

Posted by: mariner91, February 16, 2020, 12:35pm; Reply: 46

It is about decision making. I doubt if anyone is against playing it out from the back providing the defender has the time and space to quickly find a team mate with something that isn’t a hospital pass. I heard Ollie only the other day after the Colchester game saying he had told the lads that there are times when you just have to hit the ball. It is common sense, we don’t want a return to the slow, slow and hump it days of Hurst and Jolley but neither do we want goals given away by fannying about in dangerous areas. If it needs to be in Row Z then put it there!

You say that but I guarantee every time the ball is switched across the back line some idiot will shout "Get it forward". If there's nothing immediately on into the midfield  then you're often better playing across the back line to move the opposition about to create space in which you can play it forward. Obviously there are times when you need to clear it but I haven't seen our defenders messing about with it for the sake of it yet, and I can't recall many times since Ollie has been in charge that we've given a goal away from over playing across the defence.
Posted by: rancido, February 16, 2020, 12:40pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from mariner91

You say that but I guarantee every time the ball is switched across the back line some idiot will shout "Get it forward". If there's nothing immediately on into the midfield  then you're often better playing across the back line to move the opposition about to create space in which you can play it forward. Obviously there are times when you need to clear it but I haven't seen our defenders messing about with it for the sake of it yet, and I can't recall many times since Ollie has been in charge that we've given a goal away from over playing across the defence.

Exactly! Every time the ball is passed across the back the opposition have to correct their positions to counteract this. We are letting the ball do the work and the opposition are constantly on the move , never knowing when the ball will be moved forward. It also gives the centre-backs the opportunity to play a long pass forward ( not just a hopeful punt) which is something we tried several times in the first half yesterday but sadly the wind gusts affected these.
Posted by: grimps, February 16, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 48

When we do his it long it’s usually the diagonal ball towards a wing deep in their half , of our player doesn’t manage to get to it it’ll go out for a throw or there will be an opposition defender under pressure
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 16, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

I thought that’s what I said.

One point about playing it across the back though. You do need defenders who can actually do it without giving the ball away or putting their mate in hospital. Our full backs are pretty good now on this but the central defenders can give the fans heart failure and/or the ball ends up back with the keeper.

Posted by: toontown, February 16, 2020, 1:49pm; Reply: 50

I thought that’s what I said.

One point about playing it across the back though. You do need defenders who can actually do it without giving the ball away or putting their mate in hospital. Our full backs are pretty good now on this but the central defenders can give the fans heart failure and/or the ball ends up back with the keeper.

Yeah agreed. I think the amount of times we do it we are asking for trouble given the CBs we have. Although to be fair glennon also got caught out doing it in the first half and could easily have resulted in a goal against a better team. Certainly not saying just boot it every time but I just think it was used more than is beneficial and it's a bit more of a risk than is necessary. That's how I see it.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 16, 2020, 3:06pm; Reply: 51
Think Davis will improve the back line in this regard when he is back fit. He is comfortable on the ball and has played midfield quite a bit.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 16, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings
Think Davis will improve the back line in this regard when he is back fit. He is comfortable on the ball and has played midfield quite a bit.

Agree. I think when push comes to shove Davis and Waterfall is the best partnership. There’s still zero pace at centre half though, even if Davis is probably a bit faster. That will need addressing.
Posted by: lee65, February 16, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Mariner_09

Agree. I think when push comes to shove Davis and Waterfall is the best partnership. There’s still zero pace at centre half though, even if Davis is probably a bit faster. That will need addressing.

Seems Ollie is prepared for the odd mistake to cost us when we are being “brave” enough to play from the back, so I guess we can work with that as long as we are successful at the other end.

Personnel is only part of the issue though, as I’m convinced that there are virtually no playing surfaces in league 2 good enough to play this way without significant risk. Look at the back pass by Waterfall yesterday, the ball bounced a foot high just as he was about to play it, and stood behind the goal at Bradford last week and being closer to the action than usual I couldn’t believe how poor the surface was.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 17, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 54
We're making strides every week and the most exciting thing is that this a new team, they're still getting used to each other.

Grandin looked a class above.  I thought we were signing a tricky winger, not a classy midfielder who doesn't waste a single pass.  I don't think he lost possession once all game.

Benson and Glennon are going to have huge futures in the game, both improving with each week.

Vernam, as expected, had 2 or 3 men on him every time but still had a few moments to get the fans off their seats.  He frees up other players, who in turn will reap the benefits and then the focus will be on them and Vernam will be freed up.  The main thing is that we've got multiple players capable of doing something.

Clarke is the main difference in my eyes though.  He wins so many second balls through experience and knowing exactly where the ball is going to end up, regardless of who wins it.  His pass for Hanson was top drawer.  

Disappointing that we didn't keep the clean sheet in the end but these things happen in those conditions.  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 17, 2020, 12:10pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from 123614

But you've watched it a few times, Macca had 2 seconds do decide what to do...
Posted by: Maringer, February 17, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 56
I think Waterfall is plenty pacy enough and, as I've mentioned in the past, he's surprised me at how competent he has been in possession as well. Davis certainly the best on the ball of our central defenders, however, so those two will probably be the first choice pairing.

The simple fact is that we are likely to concede a number of goals due to errors in possession in defensive areas given the new style of play. It's unavoidable with 4th division footballers. The main point is to make sure that you score extra goals to compensate for it. I don't doubt we'll have the odd shocker of a game where we've all but lost in the first half hour due to mistakes where we are punished but as long as they are few and far between, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 17, 2020, 2:19pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

But you've watched it a few times, Macca had 2 seconds do decide what to do...

And in those two seconds he made the wrong choice.  It's all about decisions, and that is one of his problems, as we know, he often makes the wrong decisions about staying on his line or dominating the penalty area.  I remember when Dean Henderson joined us on loan, anything in the box was his, no question.

Posted by: marinerjase, February 17, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 58
Which is why he’s touted as next England keeper and McKeown is League 2..

He made an error, part of the game. Saved us numerous times over the years. He’s not perfect, who is...but for our level there’s many who’d want him in their side.
Posted by: smokey111, February 17, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 59
This is L2. I criticised Macca for his reaction to Henderson but to expect to have a keeper, at this level, with no flaws is unrealistic. That is why they are playing L2. I reckon he earns us 8-10 points a season.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 17, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 60
And if he'd headed it straight to a Morecambe player who pinged it over him and in, people would be asking why he didn't give an indirect free kick away!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:32am