Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 23 Guests

At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.

This thread currently has 3,369 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Roast Em Bobby
February 4, 2020, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Marinerz93

when we had our sovereignty given away without our consent with the federalization of Europe.

Wasn't it John Major who signed the Maastricht Treaty and the public voted the Tory's back in after he signed it?  So in effect it was with the consent of the UK people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Roast Em Bobby
February 4, 2020, 9:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Rik e B

Maybe some short term bumps in the road, but a price worth paying to be sovereign law makers and not law takers with a democratic system of representation not the anti-democtratic charade over in Brussels.

Who elected Dominic Cummings then?
Why are the Yanks interfering in who we buy our IT equipment from, and threatening trade sanctions if we choose Huwai?

Only two positions in EU are not democratically elected, and even those are chosen by people who have been elected by the people.

We are heading towards the far right already with journalists being excluded from briefings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Marinerz93
February 4, 2020, 6:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
So why didn’t we adopt the Danish method then when it came to scaling back the fishing fleet?

Or why didn’t we adapt to catching the wide variety of fish and shellfish in our waters and sell it to the Spanish and French and Belgians? No reason but the flipping incompetence of our fishing industry lad  err s and their eagerness to take the quick buck.

Blaming Johnny Foreigner is a convenient get out for the people that treated the hard-working folk of Grimsby and Hull as ‘casual workers’. It’s flipping disgusting  what British business did to our people. All sided and abetted by Tory governments. It wasn’t until Labour we’re back in power that any compensation was given to the poor buggers that risked life and limb and were thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe you’ve forgotten that. Or maybe your surname is Ross.

Good and fair points in catching shell fish how did that go down when our fishing boats were rammed by the French. No arguments about Trawler owners about making a quick buck, I never blamed Johnny Foreigner, I blamed the EU.

Labour we’re back in power that any compensation was given to the poor buggers that risked life and limb and were thrown on the scrap heap. is utter balderdash.

It think it was a fish worker Lillian Bilocca who was one of the headscarf revolutionaries who campaigned for compensation for fisherman, not any Labour MP and it wasn't until 2012 under a coalition government of Conservative and Lib Dems that the fishermen were offered compensation and an apology to fishermen who lost their livelihoods in the 1970s. More than 35 years after the workers lost their jobs, the £1,000 compensation offered to 2,500 fisherman was criticised for being insufficient and excessively delayed  People like, my dad, Grandad and other family relatives and many other fisherman and the like died well before this payment was made, and it wasn't the labour party, Labour did fcuk all when they were in power, this was in their gift to do that and they didn't give a excrement.

Labour were in government but no compensation given until Conservatives and Lib Dems in 2012.
1974 to 1979
1997 to 2010

2012 - Conservative / Lib Dems offer apology and compensation, why are they apologising for Labours incompetence

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
barralad
February 6, 2020, 1:05am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I think you are getting your time-lines muddled. Marinerz93.
I well remember going to meetings during Blair's first administration with the local Labour M. P.s Mitchell and McIsaac and Dolly Hardy to discuss the nuts and bolts of the compensation settlement.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Marinerz93
February 6, 2020, 5:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad
I think you are getting your time-lines muddled. Marinerz93.
I well remember going to meetings during Blair's first administration with the local Labour M. P.s Mitchell and McIsaac and Dolly Hardy to discuss the nuts and bolts of the compensation settlement.

The point you've raised is the first I've heard of that Ian and I do believe what you are saying is true, so why wasn't it until the Lib Dem / Tory alliance before anything was done, Labour were in 10 years before that. In the main it was the Hull Fisherman's wives, the headscarf revolutionaries that led the way and were even recognized for their efforts in getting the compensation for Fishermen.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
ginnywings
February 12, 2020, 11:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
My Dad received £20,000 compensation long before 2012, so you are totally wrong with your post. Was late 90's and Dolly Hardy was certainly involved. Think Austin Mitchell was too.

Unfortunately, my Dad was dead and buried by that time, so he never saw a penny for his efforts. It was shared among his kids and i equipped my workshop with my share.

Going back to the original thread title, i think it's a massive mistake leaving Europe and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. There is a definite rise in nationalism around Europe and the rest of the world, with countries retreating behind their borders, blaming "foreigners" for all their ills. Nothing good will come of it and the rise of the right will end in tears.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Marinerz93
February 15, 2020, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
My Dad received £20,000 compensation long before 2012, so you are totally wrong with your post. Was late 90's and Dolly Hardy was certainly involved. Think Austin Mitchell was too.

Unfortunately, my Dad was dead and buried by that time, so he never saw a penny for his efforts. It was shared among his kids and i equipped my workshop with my share.

Going back to the original thread title, i think it's a massive mistake leaving Europe and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. There is a definite rise in nationalism around Europe and the rest of the world, with countries retreating behind their borders, blaming "foreigners" for all their ills. Nothing good will come of it and the rise of the right will end in tears.

You could be right Ginny, after some trawling the net, some received payments in 2001 and some received payments after a report Published:  30 November, 2009, but majority didn't start getting them until 2014. So confusion around why after the report was published Nov 2009, the payments weren't immediate for the majority and why there were split payments to some in 2001 and others had to wait for other reports until 2009 then 2014.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
ginnywings
February 16, 2020, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Could have been 2001. Thought it was late 90's but the mind plays tricks with memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Marinerz93
February 17, 2020, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Could have been 2001. Thought it was late 90's but the mind plays tricks with memory.

And different sources having different dates with reports and payments made hasn't helped.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
jock dock tower
March 10, 2020, 4:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It will be interesting, now that the coronavirus sh*t has hit the fan to see if Johnson's puppeteer, Cummings, allows him to do the sensible thing and quietly forget the 31/12/20 foolhardy decision to leave the EU, come what may.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.