Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 21 Guests

At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.

This thread currently has 3,295 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
February 1, 2020, 6:03pm
Guest User
I do hope Grimsby and the Humber get something out of it, the idea of a free trade zone in the ports could stimulate growth or manufacturing. My ancestors migrated to Grimsby from other parts of the UK and World due to its success.. Let’s hope this area can be great again for the future.
Reply: 10 - 30
Maringer
February 1, 2020, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Pete, if you read that link, you'll see that it mentions that we don't eat 80% of the fish in our waters. We just don't want them so most are currently exported to the EU. If we apply the 200 mile exclusion zone (as is our right), what are we going to do with these extra fish which we catch? The EU will impose huge tariffs so unlikely they will have them. Are we suddenly going to start eating the stuff that we currently won't touch with a bargepole?

You're probably quite right about people actually wanting to go to sea. I've read that lots of boats up in Scotland for example are crewed by Philippinos and Vietnamese - some of them are pretty much enslaved by unscrupulous skippers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2020, 6:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I wouldn’t mind these Brexiteers if they were at least honest about the downside. But no it’s all going to be rosey apparently. Clueless or lying?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
grimsby pete
February 1, 2020, 7:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Maringer
Pete, if you read that link, you'll see that it mentions that we don't eat 80% of the fish in our waters. We just don't want them so most are currently exported to the EU. If we apply the 200 mile exclusion zone (as is our right), what are we going to do with these extra fish which we catch? The EU will impose huge tariffs so unlikely they will have them. Are we suddenly going to start eating the stuff that we currently won't touch with a bargepole?

You're probably quite right about people actually wanting to go to sea. I've read that lots of boats up in Scotland for example are crewed by Philippinos and Vietnamese - some of them are pretty much enslaved by unscrupulous skippers.

That was my point Grimsby people do not want to go to sea now so use the fishing grounds as a bargaining point.Fish will still come to Grimsby so no workers will lose their jobs
The EU will then concede another point that we want but they don't want to give us so it's a win win they are happy they can catch fish in our waters and we are happy because we could not catch all the fish anyway plus the EU have given us one of our demands.

All will be well on the end.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Marinerz93
February 1, 2020, 8:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I wouldn’t mind these Brexiteers if they were at least honest about the downside. But no it’s all going to be rosey apparently. Clueless or lying?

No doubt there are going to be good and bad times, but for once I'd like the remainers to take their heads out of the EU's bottom and admit Britain didn't vote to join a political union when it voted to join a common market, had it stayed a common market we wouldn't be were we are now.

The common market was hijacked by charlatans who wanted all the power and none of the accountability, I'm glad we are out because it certainly wasn't rosy for the likes of all fishing towns all over the UK, the EU's fishing quota's crippled Grimsby. This may have not touched your life but it certainly touched the lives of thousands of people living and working in Grimsby, putting scores of fish merchants out of business and fishermen out of work and other trades that depended on the fishing trade. I know at least one fish merchant who took his own life because of the financial ruin the EU brought his business.

Clueeless and lying can be aimed at both sides of the debate but only one side has consistently lost, now conceded defeat on get on Boris stonking majority you remoaners helped create.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Bawmariner
February 2, 2020, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +313
Quoted from Marinerz93

No doubt there are going to be good and bad times, but for once I'd like the remainers to take their heads out of the EU's bottom and admit Britain didn't vote to join a political union when it voted to join a common market, had it stayed a common market we wouldn't be were we are now.

The common market was hijacked by charlatans who wanted all the power and none of the accountability, I'm glad we are out because it certainly wasn't rosy for the likes of all fishing towns all over the UK, the EU's fishing quota's crippled Grimsby. This may have not touched your life but it certainly touched the lives of thousands of people living and working in Grimsby, putting scores of fish merchants out of business and fishermen out of work and other trades that depended on the fishing trade. I know at least one fish merchant who took his own life because of the financial ruin the EU brought his business.

Clueeless and lying can be aimed at both sides of the debate but only one side has consistently lost, now conceded defeat on get on Boris stonking majority you remoaners helped create.

So if the common market is fine why are we leaving the customs union. This was in place when we joined the EEC so why don't we just revert back to that? We would have to accept rules as part of being part of a customs union but that is a reality that can't be avoided. If you want to be part of trade blocks and agreements you need rules in place so the other side can trust you.

The fishing into Grimsby was in decline long before we joined the EEC. The cod wars really did for it. What was left was taken to pieces by a mix of EU laws de-industrialisation of the UK and our elected EU representatives not standing up for the UK. The fishing industry isn't coming back though with or without EU laws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Marinerz93
February 2, 2020, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Bawmariner

So if the common market is fine why are we leaving the customs union. This was in place when we joined the EEC so why don't we just revert back to that? We would have to accept rules as part of being part of a customs union but that is a reality that can't be avoided. If you want to be part of trade blocks and agreements you need rules in place so the other side can trust you.

The fishing into Grimsby was in decline long before we joined the EEC. The cod wars really did for it. What was left was taken to pieces by a mix of EU laws de-industrialisation of the UK and our elected EU representatives not standing up for the UK. The fishing industry isn't coming back though with or without EU laws.

Under the common market was there freedom of movement of people or was that just implemented when we had our sovereignty given away without our consent with the federalization of Europe.

I know the cod wars and government of the times incompetence caused the most damage to our fishing fleet but you missed out that the money for scrapping trawlers from the EU offered to UK trawler owners was very attractive and coupled with the cutting of quota's it was becoming more and more difficult for the trawler owners to turn a profit, EU wanted our fishing grounds and under CFP they achieved that.

If you knew anything about how the quota's effected what was left of our fishing fleet you would know that under the quota's imposed by the EU on the UK,  fisherman would often go to see and come back for almost nothing as the trawler fuel costs and maintenance meant anything caught went to pay for that which left next to nothing for the crew as they had to throw back fish they could have ordinarily sold, not all of it had to go back as some fish species are naturally smaller than others, but EU net sizes have to be obeyed. That's why it was more attractive to get a massive lump sum from the EU and scrap the trawler than sail it. No doubt some of the trawler owners were greedy but that greed was facilitated by your glorious EU who knew what it meant or didn't care what happened to those who it effected.

By the way what protection did the righteous EU offer those in the fish trade as it cut the quota's which they did several times and from working in the industry I saw how each round of cuts effected the fish market as I was on it every morning for at least 2 years before I quickly realised the way things were going that if I didn't find work outside the fish trade I and many like me would end up on the dole which did happen to those who stayed in the main.

Many of the UK’s fish stocks are now shared, so it means the UK will still have to cooperate with the EU, and other coastal states (such as Norway and the Faroe Islands) in managing that. It's common knowledge that the UK fishing fleet currently lacks the necessary trawlers to catch all the fish in the UK shared zone, it would still likely have to permit foreign vessels access to catch any surplus fish stocks and this could be negotiated in a we give you permits and we can sell our fish in your markets too. If / When we build back up our own fishing fleet then we can negotiate either higher costs for permits or catch our own and the more we can catch and sell it within the UK, bearing in mind the cheaper fish becomes and that can only be a good thing for restaurants / chippy's.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2020, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
So why didn’t we adopt the Danish method then when it came to scaling back the fishing fleet?

Or why didn’t we adapt to catching the wide variety of fish and shellfish in our waters and sell it to the Spanish and French and Belgians? No reason but the flipping incompetence of our fishing industry lad  err s and their eagerness to take the quick buck.

Blaming Johnny Foreigner is a convenient get out for the people that treated the hard-working folk of Grimsby and Hull as ‘casual workers’. It’s flipping disgusting  what British business did to our people. All sided and abetted by Tory governments. It wasn’t until Labour we’re back in power that any compensation was given to the poor buggers that risked life and limb and were thrown on the scrap heap.

Maybe you’ve forgotten that. Or maybe your surname is Ross.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Rik e B
February 4, 2020, 2:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
As one of the biggest contributors to EU budget they certainly will miss us, and they extremely concerned about having a competitive neighbour on their doorstep that will show other nations there is a better way than their protectionist racket.

Hence they desperate to tie us down with 'level playing field' arrangements and close alignment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Rik e B
February 4, 2020, 2:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I cannot be arrised to argue back and forth with those who got a bee in their bonnet it not gone their way.

I'll simply make one prediction. Everything will be okay. Britains economy will continue to grow and succeed and people will look back and think what was all the worry about.

Maybe some short term bumps in the road, but a price worth paying to be sovereign law makers and not law takers with a democratic system of representation not the anti-democtratic charade over in Brussels.

France and Netherlands vote against Lisbon Treaty, tough we're doing it anyway.

About time the people finally listened to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › At last, we are officially out of the EU tonight.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.