Gold Stars: 18
welcome Billy

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 100
January 10, 2020, 7:14am
Guest User
IH wants him so that's good enough for me.

If he can deliver a decent free-kick/corner he'll be an asset. Given he's played at a higher level I'd like to think he's capable.

He's probably the replacement for Robson (though not like-for-like), so I'm not going to get stressed over his goalscoring record.
Reply: 91 - 100
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 9:56am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Ollie said our young lads 'need to help in the wide areas' so that's why brought Billy in so I wonder if his main position will be the wide left of front three? (He a leftie I believe, that in itself brings balance)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 100
Maringer
January 10, 2020, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
If he has a really good understanding with Hanson that could make a real difference, goals from him or not. If you can get good partnerships going on the pitch, you're half way to success and he's obviously got the experience to make a difference. Not quite Dad's army age yet, either, so hopefully he's still got it in his legs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 100
Rodley Mariner
January 10, 2020, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from GollyGTFC
My 10 year old son reckons we could sing his name to the tune of Baby Shark...

Billy Clarke, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Billy Clarke!

(Repeat)

Maybe we could re-sign Nathan Clarke so we can have a second verse?

Hahaha my lad said the same thing. Better than most song suggestions on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 100
diehardmariner
January 10, 2020, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Tommy
Plymouth fans saying he's a "no.10" and didnt fit into their system or in a front 2.

So suggests he might be used here as am attacking creative midfielder in the 3 in midfield. Or if we moved to more of a 4-2-3-1 he could be the central one of the 3.

About his past record....stats don't always tell the whole story do they.
At the right clubs that have been a good fit he's done well and scored goals. Bradford, Crawley and a couple of his loan spells he's done well and had a decent goals return for someone who isn't an 18-yard no.9.
All it takes is a couple of spells like his time at Blackpool, Charlton and the 2nd time at Bradford, with only a few goals but probably a lot of those appearances only off the bench and it has a big impact on the goals to games ratio.

He looks from the clips like he's got good quality, and he was Crawley's player of the year when they were in League One.

I think there's every chance it could be a good signing for us and we've just got to hope Holloway can make it a good fit like he had in his more successsful spells in his career so far.

I think we're heading to a 4-2-3-1.  

Reserves lined up in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 on Tuesday and they were steady if not spectacular.  Second half they came out in a 4-2-3-1 with a quite fluid front four, although I'm quite certain Swin will disagree, there was Holloway's markings all over it - evidenced quite clearly by him coaching it from the old directors box.  

His interview yesterday he talks about how Clarke basically operates in any of the three roles behind the striker but then mentions switching things about with the wingers etc.   He also spoke about the midfielders and it could just have been how I heard it, but it felt like he was talking about 2 from 3 (Clifton, Hessenthaler and Whitehouse).  

As a side-note from the reserves match.  Starbuck was absolutely exceptional, predominantly in a right wing role.  I thought he was a fullback, probably based on him playing there for us in the tinpot.  Rotherham weren't full strength but he had them on toast.  Really surprised we haven't thrown him in to games late on when he's been on the bench.  Listening to Holloway talk about him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature on Saturday.  Interestingly Cardwell was used as the No.10 rather than as a striker, I'm not his biggest fan but he did well and Holloway seemed to be impressed.  With the striking options limited for Saturday, wouldn't be surprised to see him feature (or even start!)
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 100
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 11:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Interesting, and yes we light in the Number 9 position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 100
Rodley Mariner
January 10, 2020, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
The idea of Clifton and Hess in front of the back four and then Wright, Clarke and Vernam as a 3 behind Hanson is pretty appealing to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 100
Rik e B
January 10, 2020, 12:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Me too, had it in my mind that that kinda thing trumps 4-3-3 when Limbrick was do adamant with sticking with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 100
Northbank Mariner
January 12, 2020, 3:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Let’s see if he can maintain his goal scoring record of 5.39 every season. May drop now due to his age. What a shite signing.

And?...you was saying?...🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Clarke

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.