Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, January 8, 2020, 11:21pm
Should sign within the next 2 days till end of season. (probably tomorrow morning)

Worked with Holloway before, has to prove himself till end of season as wants to be back near Yorkshire with family.

Don’t really know much about him but in Holloway we trust.

Posted by: Mayaman, January 8, 2020, 11:38pm; Reply: 1
Ollies has bought hope back to the Mariners.  I just hope the sentimental side of him doesn't lead him to sign players for old time's sake who cannot deliver.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 9, 2020, 12:13am; Reply: 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2qBdx_KKo

Hello! Apparently his favourite singer is Lionel Richie. Along with Ollie's love in with Loofer Vandros it might not be say you or say me choosing the new songs, but these two who are up all night thinking about it. Let's hope this is the beginning of an endless love with GTFC.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 7:57am; Reply: 3
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

in Holloway we trust.

That's what many said about Jolley

Posted by: SheepGTFC, January 9, 2020, 8:05am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Ipswin

That's what many said about Jolley

I mean, what else can we do?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2020, 8:39am; Reply: 5
His stats suggest he is more of a safety match than a striker but at this stage we have to trust IH has an idea of how he can fit into his plans.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 8:39am; Reply: 6
We say it about every manager! 😅
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 7

Looks as though he would play well off Hanson - just what we need for the next 6 months  to stabalise and give Ollie time to get his promotion winning team together.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 9, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 8
I’m not too bothered about getting a proven goal scorer.
I think the ones we have will improve once they are getting decent service. !!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 9, 2020, 10:03am; Reply: 9
Majority of Plymouth fans think it will be a mistake letting him go.

From a team sitting in 6th, he can't be bad at all
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 10:06am; Reply: 10
Quoted from SheepGTFC

I mean, what else can we do?

Absolutely nothing. I'm just very cautious about us going overboard about Holloway that's all. PR wise he's great (even if he is as mad as a box of frogs) but results and football wise we don't know yet

I was over the moon when we appointed Newell - say no more!

Posted by: Garth, January 9, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 11
A bit too thick and too fast for me, excitement stoked and driven by the media, I'm hoping like everyone else he will be a success here, but we have suffered too many false dawns in the past, and I am nervous about this one
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Ipswin

Absolutely nothing. I'm just very cautious about us going overboard about Holloway that's all. PR wise he's great (even if he is as mad as a box of frogs) but results and football wise we don't know yet

Have to admit, so was I ....... but I learned my lesson!

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 9, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 13
Buckley (mk1) had a team that didn't have one out and out goal scorer. It was an amazing squad that all chipped in with goals. Now of course, could be wrong, but only remember any player top scoring with around 18 or so (Rees/woods/big keef)

Over to you Les to prove me wrong
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 9, 2020, 10:22am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Majority of Plymouth fans think it will be a mistake letting him go.

From a team sitting in 6th, he can't be bad at all

They're not letting him go exactly. His contract expires in a couple of days.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 9, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 15
He’s been a good player, but had some really bad injuries.
Has played wide a lot as well as up front.

Hopefully he’ll be a good one.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 9, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 16
Time will tell with any new manager.  Besides the good PR, we have had 2 wins without conceding.  One win away with only 10 men for 80 mins.

This after no wins for more than the previous 3 months.  I would therefore argue that the results on the pitch are going in the right direction - even at a very early stage.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 17
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Time will tell with any new manager.  Besides the good PR, we have had 2 wins without conceding.  One win away with only 10 men for 80 mins.

This after no wins for more than the previous 3 months.  I would therefore argue that the results on the pitch are going in the right direction - even at a very early stage.

I'm not sure Hollowy can claim either of the two victories, aided by the all round feelgood factor maybe (which can't last forever) but hardly as a result of his tactics, input to the team selection etc.
Posted by: Superdan147, January 9, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm not sure Hollowy can claim either of the two victories, aided by the all round feelgood factor maybe (which can't last forever) but hardly as a result of his tactics, input to the team selection etc.

Nonsense, He can claim the Mansfield win for sure. Despite only 1 training session there were signs of things he wants to implement. I,e committing men forward when in possession, leaving a man on half way line when defending corners and players in more space to receive the ball. These are things we’ve not been doing until Saturday IMO. Looking forward to more of that Saturday, hopefully with 11 men!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 19
Plus he was screaming instructions from the touchline constantly, moving Clifton about, making the right subs when Ogbu tired etc.

Against Salford he could have had an indirect effect giving a motivational boost to player's, after all he went into dressing room to have a word. And they would have been keen to impress.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 9, 2020, 12:22pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin

Well, it's a massive coincidence then isn't it. The buzz that went around when the rumour started to unravel (about IH) must have been immense around the club. It impacted the supporters massively so god only knows how it felt to have an experienced premier league manager coming into the club as a player. We're not 1 step below the elite anymore, we're 3 divisions below and the gap is massive.

Give the players and the staff the respect they are due
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 9, 2020, 12:35pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Well, it's a massive coincidence then isn't it. The buzz that went around when the rumour started to unravel (about IH) must have been immense around the club. It impacted the supporters massively so god only knows how it felt to have an experienced premier league manager coming into the club as a player. We're not 1 step below the elite anymore, we're 3 divisions below and the gap is massive.

Give the players and the staff the respect they are due

I dont believe the buzz goes that far!!
Posted by: MarinerMal, January 9, 2020, 12:55pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

Ahhh, once bitten twice shy!

I like Ipswin's style... come out and be negative about new managers and 90% of the time you can claim to have been correct about the manager not being all that. It can make you look very knowledgeable  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 23
Because they all inevitably fall short in the end.

Hopefully this time we can tons of ups until that time comes.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

You are a coffin dodger with no goodwill or optimism. Bloody cheer up you grumpy old sod.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 9, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 25
Been released by Plymouth
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 9, 2020, 1:50pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Superdan147

Nonsense, He can claim the Mansfield win for sure. Despite only 1 training session there were signs of things he wants to implement. I,e committing men forward when in possession, leaving a man on half way line when defending corners and players in more space to receive the ball. These are things we’ve not been doing until Saturday IMO. Looking forward to more of that Saturday, hopefully with 11 men!

Don't worry. We could be 10 points clear at the top of The Premier League and in the Semi-Finals of The Champions League and 'Swin would still find something to moan about.  ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 27
😂😂😂
Posted by: rancido, January 9, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Ipswin

He seems to have given the players some confidence, which is a quality we have been saying on here that has been lacking in the squad for some time. That alone can make a world of difference.
Posted by: FishFan101, January 9, 2020, 2:17pm; Reply: 29
Ryan Lowe has confirmed he is due to join a league 2 club today!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 30
Well there are 23 other teams!... Is he ex Ollie?
Posted by: oochiad, January 9, 2020, 2:39pm; Reply: 31
If you were at the Mansfield match there’s no way you can’t say that the result wasn’t influenced by Ollie.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 9, 2020, 2:40pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Rik e B
Well there are 23 other teams!... Is he ex Ollie?

Plymouth Manager!
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 33
Right I get yer, he saying Clarke joining a league 2 club... Thought it strange when I googled and said ex pro, manager ffs lol 🙄😂
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 9, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 34
Worst kept secret about to be announced
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from jimgtfc
Worst kept secret about to be announced

😂😂😂👍
Posted by: bluebottle, January 9, 2020, 3:05pm; Reply: 36
Clarke has signed.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, January 9, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 37
Let’s see if he can maintain his goal scoring record of 5.39 every season. May drop now due to his age. What a shite signing.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 9, 2020, 3:19pm; Reply: 38
I can confidently say that confidence is everything in a modern-day professional footballer.  With the increasing pressures and constant close examination by social media,  feeling good about yourself is essential to perform at your best.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 9, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Let’s see if he can maintain his goal scoring record of 5.39 every season. May drop now due to his age. What a shite signing.

Yeah, unfortunately Lionel Messi didn't want to drop down to League 2 so we'll have to make do.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Let’s see if he can maintain his goal scoring record of 5.39 every season. May drop now due to his age. .

He will fit in absolutely beautifully with our current strikeforce

Posted by: fishboyUTM, January 9, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from pizzzza

Yeah, unfortunately Lionel Messi didn't want to drop down to League 2 so we'll have to make do.

I think Lionel Blair has a better goal scoring record. You can’t or shouldn’t ignore his proven track record over a career. Strange signing.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 9, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 42
I think he will play well alongside Hanson. As a lone striker, I would not be impressed by the signing but I can see this working well alongside some pacy wingers and attack minded CMs. UTM
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 9, 2020, 3:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from fishboyUTM

If he can help Hanson find the back of the net agian, it will be worth it.

A week ago, would we even be signing a player like Clarke?

All I know that is that Olly wants to be more positive going forward.

UTM
Posted by: Tommy, January 9, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 44
Plymouth fans saying he's a "no.10" and didnt fit into their system or in a front 2.

So suggests he might be used here as am attacking creative midfielder in the 3 in midfield. Or if we moved to more of a 4-2-3-1 he could be the central one of the 3.

About his past record....stats don't always tell the whole story do they.
At the right clubs that have been a good fit he's done well and scored goals. Bradford, Crawley and a couple of his loan spells he's done well and had a decent goals return for someone who isn't an 18-yard no.9.
All it takes is a couple of spells like his time at Blackpool, Charlton and the 2nd time at Bradford, with only a few goals but probably a lot of those appearances only off the bench and it has a big impact on the goals to games ratio.

He looks from the clips like he's got good quality, and he was Crawley's player of the year when they were in League One.

I think there's every chance it could be a good signing for us and we've just got to hope Holloway can make it a good fit like he had in his more successsful spells in his career so far.
Posted by: Tommy, January 9, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 45
Oh, and it's always good to have some lefties in the team.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 9, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Tommy
Plymouth fans saying he's a "no.10" and didnt fit into their system or in a front 2.

So suggests he might be used here as am attacking creative midfielder in the 3 in midfield. Or if we moved to more of a 4-2-3-1 he could be the central one of the 3.

At the right clubs that have been a good fit he's done well and scored goals. Bradford, Crawley and a couple of his loan spells he's done well and had a decent goals return for someone who isn't an 18-yard no.9.
All it takes is a couple of spells like his time at Blackpool, Charlton and the 2nd time at Bradford, with only a few goals but probably a lot of those appearances only off the bench and it has a big impact on the goals to games ratio.

He looks from the clips like he's got good quality, and he was Crawley's player of the year when they were in League One.

I think there's every chance it could be a good signing for us and we've just got to hope Holloway can make it a good fit like he had in his more successsful spells in his career so far.

yeah but he karnt score goals like Almond did. crap singing.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 9, 2020, 3:44pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from marinerdazza

Good job we've signed him for his footballing ability then.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from marinerdazza

Nice one. ;D
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2020, 3:48pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from fishboyUTM

What a shite post!  :o
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 9, 2020, 3:49pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Tommy
Oh, and it's always good to have some lefties in the team.

Let's hope Diane Abbott doesn't sign or we'll be playing 4-4-62
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 9, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 51
Think in his recent interview IH was saying he hadn’t seen Clarke play for some time and was signing him for his personality and the positive attitude he would bring in. A bit different to say the least but like any new signing let’s see him play before making judgement.

Current issue for me is who will replace Robson in midfield as his skill set is not really shared by any of the other current midfield players on our books.
Posted by: oochiad, January 9, 2020, 3:57pm; Reply: 52
Give the guy a chance. Different time, different setup who’s knows what might happen? IH wants him in so let’s support that. If he doesn’t fire straight away I can imagine you’ll all love having ago. He could end up being as prolific as Almond who ever the intercourse he is😂😂 Its not essential for you negative types to have to bleat on, you do know you can keep it to yourselves! I prefer to support and be positive and optimistic, I recommend you give it ago, it’s what IH needs and the team needs. UTM
Posted by: pizzzza, January 9, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from marinerdazza

Quoted from oochiad
He could end up being as prolific as Almond who ever the intercourse he is😂😂

FFS, Marc Almond never played for us.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 9, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from The Yard Dog

If he can help Hanson find the back of the net agian, it will be worth it.

All I know that is that Olly wants to be more positive going forward.

UTM

He played with Hanson at Bradford so they should have a good understanding of each other.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 9, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 55
I thought it was a pretty obvious parody. Never mind.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Les Brechin

He played with Hanson at Bradford so they should have a good understanding of each other.

From what I've read Clarke and Hanson were a handful together and it was noticeable that Hanson lost his shooting boots when Clarke wasn't alongside him...just makes me wonder where Green and Ogbu fit in Holloway's thinking/plans now...🤔🤔
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2020, 4:04pm; Reply: 57
So he isn’t a striker but a number 10? Reading between the lines of IH’s comments on the lad perhaps we will see a change of formation which would help Hanson when he gets fit again.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 9, 2020, 4:09pm; Reply: 58
We have Jordan Cook and Moses Ogbu who both like to play just behind a striker (or strikers) but we've never played either of them there because that role doesn't exist in the current formation.

I think it's a good signing (although any other manager would get labelled 'irrational' for signing a player he hadn't seen play recently) but I'm interested to see how IH will use him.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 9, 2020, 4:10pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from The Yard Dog

UTM

I don't get that 'a player like Clarke' bit at all.

He's a 32 year old about to be out of contract at a 4th division club coming to another 4th division club. What's so remarkable about it?

I'd much rather have another youngster or two on loan from clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland.

He might have played for Holloway some time ago but I'm not sure that makes him a great (surprising) signing

Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 9, 2020, 4:11pm; Reply: 60
Not sure about him as a goal scorer if that’s what he has been brought in for, but he may be the link up man behind Hanson that we have missed all season green and Ogbu not been up it although tbf to green he has been played more or less out wide
Posted by: oochiad, January 9, 2020, 4:11pm; Reply: 61
I do realise that Pizzzza, I’m perfectly capable of spelling Amond correctly and was taking the urine ffs!!!
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 9, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 62
Think it says alot about a player when Plymouth who are in a healthy position in L2 are not happy about losing him. 'Has abitlity just didn't fit into our system and will not give anything less than 110%.' I'm happy with it!
Posted by: dicko995, January 9, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 63
I reckon IH should give his Xmas undies to Ipswin :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 9, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 64
George Kerr paid 80.000 pounds and said he had not seen him play.

Trevor Whymark turned out all right 😊
Posted by: Abdul19, January 9, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 65
Can't believe there's not been a single playing of the Lord Futcher card yet!
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 9, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 66
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did so on another post a few days back!
Posted by: pizzzza, January 9, 2020, 4:51pm; Reply: 67
[youtube]QQBHpLNEA7E[/youtube]

[youtube]abXqCI4UX50[/youtube]

[youtube]5xXLbONqs7w[/youtube]
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2020, 4:54pm; Reply: 68
Would think Clarke is a link between the midfield and attack, maybe even a straight replacement for Robson?

Would think IH has a specific role in mind for him and to judge him solely on his scoring record is a bit daft. Sounds like a team player too.

Welcome Billy.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 9, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We are full of optimism at this point , look back a couple of weeks I am grateful for everything, I gamble this will be an excellent signing utm
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 9, 2020, 5:20pm; Reply: 70
Well,he's better than Robles that's for bloody sure!...you don't manage over 950 games at a level a lot higher than ours then sign a dog sh!te player for no reason at all!...( For the record, I'm not insinuating Clarks us god sh!te btw)
Holloway knows a player and what he can bring to a squad, I have absolute trust in his decision making and he obviously has something in mind bringing Clarke into the building.
He's not been brought in for his goal scoring ability, Clarke's stats back that up, he must have qualities that Holloway has already identified that we are lacking ...
Personally, I'm thinking he's been brought in to be more of a play maker...but then again, I'm an hairy ar$ed fitter, not a football manager , so I'll trust Holloway's judgement on this one..
Posted by: mimma, January 9, 2020, 5:28pm; Reply: 71
Tony Rees wasn't prolific in front of goal, but what a player he was. We scored many goals with him at centre forward. We scored for fun with him holding up the ball and laying it off.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 5:28pm; Reply: 72
Why don't you back sack and crack? 😅
Posted by: Rik e B, January 9, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 73
Neil Woods too, even Livvo - but they brought so much to the team.
Posted by: smokey111, January 9, 2020, 5:34pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Maybe you and your cronies can boo him before the game, instead of just after!!!! When Rose scored the other day I was sure he was looking for you to thank and not Dave Moore.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 9, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 75
I don’t understand the reference to him being 32 years old. Vardy is also 32 and very sharp and full of energy this season.  One reporter made him the best player so far this season.

We need to wait to pass judgement,
Posted by: sam gy, January 9, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 76
Only turned 32 a few days ago, played above our level his whole career, none of his ex clubs fans seem to have a bad word to say about him, left Plymouth for family reasons and he’s been signed by the experienced Ian Holloway.

Yet some of the spotty champ manager brigade are not happy because he hasn’t got a record of one in two, even though they haven’t got a clue what his best position/role is.

Welcome, Billy.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 9, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 77
Welcome Billy hope it works out for you and us. ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 9, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Rik e B
Neil Woods too, even Livvo - but they brought so much to the team.

Aye, Jack Lester too (I know he scored a load later in his career, but his record for us wasn't great)
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 9, 2020, 6:21pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Let's hope Diane Abbott doesn't sign or we'll be playing 4-4-62

How does FFP allow for a magic money tree  ;)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 9, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 80
Pretty obvious he’s an improvement on what we’ve got in that position so he’ll do for me
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 9, 2020, 6:26pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Obviously you know nothing about football.  He hasn't been signed as a goalscorer, that is obvious.  He has been signed to link up with James Hanson, as they did when they both played for Bradford City.  And we have it on good authority that they, as a pair, were quite a handful. Wait and see how he gets on instead of making a stupid remark like you did above.

Posted by: smokey111, January 9, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from 123614

Obviously you know nothing about football.  He hasn't been signed as a goalscorer, that is obvious.  He has been signed to link up with James Hanson, as they did when they both played for Bradford City.  And we have it on good authority that they, as a pair, were quite a handful. Wait and see how he gets on instead of making a stupid remark like you did above.

I actually wonder if it is a wind up?!?!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 83
The blame for this lies with the GT, it was the GT that used the description “Billy Clarke, Plymouth striker” and if anyone read that and then just looked at his stats, they do not look exactly “striking” do they?

For me, it was not until I read some of the links here that I realised this bloke who I’d never heard of before was a Tony Rees/Neil Woods type player. So let’s wait and see eh? We have a manager who has done the job at a much higher level, I suspect that we will gradually see a more sophisticated set up.
Posted by: smokey111, January 9, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 84
Unless he gets 4 per game until the end of the season I would look to move him on.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 9, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 85
Welcome Billy and do be a hero.  ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 9, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Mallyner
Welcome Billy and do be a hero.  ;)

Hopefully he'll Bragg a few
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 9, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 87
My 10 year old son reckons we could sing his name to the tune of Baby Shark...

Billy Clarke, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Billy Clarke!

(Repeat)

Maybe we could re-sign Nathan Clarke so we can have a second verse?
Posted by: Sigone, January 9, 2020, 8:45pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Billy Clarke!

I dont know why but when I read this I had visions of David Walliams...write the feem toon, sing the feem toon  ;D

Posted by: Oly1987, January 9, 2020, 11:29pm; Reply: 89
listening to the interview it looks like Holloway might employ him down the left flank as a winger so maybe him on the left, Wright on the..... right and 3 in the middle with 1 up top? Or a 4-4-2 with Clarke on the left?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 9, 2020, 11:46pm; Reply: 90
welcome Billy
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 10, 2020, 7:14am; Reply: 91
IH wants him so that's good enough for me.

If he can deliver a decent free-kick/corner he'll be an asset. Given he's played at a higher level I'd like to think he's capable.

He's probably the replacement for Robson (though not like-for-like), so I'm not going to get stressed over his goalscoring record.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 92
Ollie said our young lads 'need to help in the wide areas' so that's why brought Billy in so I wonder if his main position will be the wide left of front three? (He a leftie I believe, that in itself brings balance)
Posted by: Maringer, January 10, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 93
If he has a really good understanding with Hanson that could make a real difference, goals from him or not. If you can get good partnerships going on the pitch, you're half way to success and he's obviously got the experience to make a difference. Not quite Dad's army age yet, either, so hopefully he's still got it in his legs.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 10, 2020, 10:59am; Reply: 94
Quoted from GollyGTFC
My 10 year old son reckons we could sing his name to the tune of Baby Shark...

Billy Clarke!

(Repeat)

Maybe we could re-sign Nathan Clarke so we can have a second verse?

Hahaha my lad said the same thing. Better than most song suggestions on here.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 10, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Tommy

I think we're heading to a 4-2-3-1.  

Reserves lined up in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 on Tuesday and they were steady if not spectacular.  Second half they came out in a 4-2-3-1 with a quite fluid front four, although I'm quite certain Swin will disagree, there was Holloway's markings all over it - evidenced quite clearly by him coaching it from the old directors box.  

His interview yesterday he talks about how Clarke basically operates in any of the three roles behind the striker but then mentions switching things about with the wingers etc.   He also spoke about the midfielders and it could just have been how I heard it, but it felt like he was talking about 2 from 3 (Clifton, Hessenthaler and Whitehouse).  

As a side-note from the reserves match.  Starbuck was absolutely exceptional, predominantly in a right wing role.  I thought he was a fullback, probably based on him playing there for us in the tinpot.  Rotherham weren't full strength but he had them on toast.  Really surprised we haven't thrown him in to games late on when he's been on the bench.  Listening to Holloway talk about him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature on Saturday.  Interestingly Cardwell was used as the No.10 rather than as a striker, I'm not his biggest fan but he did well and Holloway seemed to be impressed.  With the striking options limited for Saturday, wouldn't be surprised to see him feature (or even start!)
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 96
Interesting, and yes we light in the Number 9 position.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 10, 2020, 11:38am; Reply: 97
The idea of Clifton and Hess in front of the back four and then Wright, Clarke and Vernam as a 3 behind Hanson is pretty appealing to me.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 10, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 98
Me too, had it in my mind that that kinda thing trumps 4-3-3 when Limbrick was do adamant with sticking with that.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 12, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from fishboyUTM

And?...you was saying?...🤔
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 13, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 100
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Well he off the mark and knows where the goal is still, not a easy finish, took it well. Based on that goal, can see him scoring a few for us.
In IH we trust.

UTMM
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:31am