5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
mimma
December 29, 2019, 5:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,570
Gold Stars: 78
We started off on the front foot. Vernon did brilliantly to get to the bye line to put it across the goal for Hess to blast it in to the roof of the net. We took the game to Crawley playing good football with Vernon in particular running at them. As the half wore on we started to retreat more and more. It was inevitable that they were going to equalise.  We staged a late rally but we still insist of pulling everyone back to keep what we have.

One thing to note Mr. Limbrick. They kept two men up meaning a clearance often turned them into an attack. We pull everyone back and when it is cleared we have to wait for it to come back to us.

Vernon MOTM. Constant threat with direct running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Fishy clapper
December 29, 2019, 5:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Vernon  

Please no
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
moss_side_mariner
December 29, 2019, 5:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Definitely wasn’t Vernon

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
grimps
December 29, 2019, 5:47pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 46
I thought Vernon had a decent game , if he’d been given the ball more it would have been a lot better .
He’s been our best player recently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Grimal
December 29, 2019, 5:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from grimps
I thought Vernon had a decent game , if he’d been given the ball more it would have been a lot better .
He’s been our best player recently

You must have been at the Cleethorpes Town game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
Charlie MOTM rest of them pretty much 6 out of 10 apart from Waterfall for the pretty stupid challenge that led to their free kick and goal.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
arryarryarry
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
It's Vernam FFS
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
forza ivano
December 29, 2019, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Draw was a fair result Vernhon 🤦‍♂️ Was motm, Ogbu made a positive difference and max wright was good. We started and finished well but Crawley looked much the better team in between. No doubt Fenty will give Limbrick the job on the back of our unbeaten run!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
grimsby pete
December 29, 2019, 6:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Two average sides not a lot between them,

Certainly not a game that will get AL the job,

Having said that we will probably play better against Salford and lose,

AND

AL will get the job.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
99agrant
December 29, 2019, 6:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 4
First game for me this season and was pleasantly surprised
We we were solid defensively- the only real chance they had they scored from. Macca had very little else to do. Midfield were busy energetic and committed if lacking a creative force. We did however get joy down the wings and Vernam was a constant threat they couldn’t handle. We had a number of chances particularly two headers from corners in the 2nd half that both went wide. We looked like the only team who was going to win it
I have seen far worse Town performances and teams than this. Ogbu made a difference when he came on and kept making space for others. Rose was frustrating as he kept getting ball stuck under his feet.
I would stick with Limbrick as the players were committed and definitely playing for him. To me the alternative ie Holloway is definitely NOT the answer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
davmariner
December 29, 2019, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
In a nutshell, if something doesn’t change, we’re going down.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
December 29, 2019, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 99agrant
First game for me this season and was pleasantly surprised
We we were solid defensively- the only real chance they had they scored from. Macca had very little else to do. Midfield were busy energetic and committed if lacking a creative force. We did however get joy down the wings and Vernam was a constant threat they couldn’t handle. We had a number of chances particularly two headers from corners in the 2nd half that both went wide. We looked like the only team who was going to win it
I have seen far worse Town performances and teams than this. Ogbu made a difference when he came on and kept making space for others. Rose was frustrating as he kept getting ball stuck under his feet.
I would stick with Limbrick as the players were committed and definitely playing for him. To me the alternative ie Holloway is definitely NOT the answer!

God you are easily pleased.

We had a good first 10 minutes then lost our way as usual till the last 20 when we rallied a bit. You don't think Holloway is the answer when we have gone 10 games without a win?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Heisenberg
December 29, 2019, 6:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93

God you are easily pleased.

We had a good first 10 minutes then lost our way as usual till the last 20 when we rallied a bit. You don't think Holloway is the answer when we have 10 games without a win?

I’m with you on this, Lew, but isn’t it actually a total of 14 or 15 games already? Honestly,  I’ve lost count.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Rik e B
December 29, 2019, 6:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Best I've ever heard Vernon play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
December 29, 2019, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m with you on this, Lew, but isn’t it actually a total of 14 or 15 games already? Honestly,  I’ve lost count.

Lets just do it in tens. It will be 20 soon enough.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Heswall Mariner
December 29, 2019, 7:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Vernon scored 5 yesterday - eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Yoda
December 29, 2019, 7:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Vernon got 5 and Clee won 9-2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
moosey_club
December 29, 2019, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,242
Gold Stars: 226
Bright start...but faded fast....midfield too deep...Green too isolated, tie that with the midfield trio's lack of ability on the ball and we just ended up hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch losing possession...ended up sitting further and further back until they inevitably scored. Vernam the only real bright spark in possession, drifting past players and using the ball quite well.

Green off at half time , hard on him in some ways as he received little service and support, Rose just replaced him, still isolated, little service.

The introduction of Ogbu woke us up a bit, finally two players on the pitch who were happy to have the ball under pressure and could use it, too little too late however.

Limbrick certainly has solidified us, simplified us but the formation doesnt lend itself to creating enough opportunities. Any player up front is too isolated and doesnt get quality service, the wide players are too far from the striker when it goes upto him.

Vernam was a real spark today, without him we would have looked truly awful/ ordinary but the shape didnt give him the best opportunites to get on the ball.

While i understand Limbrick doesnt want to lose too many games, i think he could make us more dangerous on the ball, I didnt think Crawley looked that good themselves but we still struggled to overrun them as the formation was too conservative for me.

Didnt lose, didnt really look like losing but yet again certainly didnt look like winning either,  which is now looking like the summary of Limbrick's reign to me.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
Croxton
December 29, 2019, 8:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Surprised to see Green start after Rose had caused problems for Macc when he came on. AL said that Green  was replaced due to injury. If that was the case why not sub him earlier? Momentum was lost for several reasons but Greens lack of strength and movement meant that the possession was lost too often. I believe AL was being diplomatic.

AL said that he swapped Vernam and Wright to get Vernam on the ball more. Hello! is that not midfield's job?
There is no creativity in the engine room. Robson was ok defensively but he, Harry and Hess don't function as a unit trying to move us up the field and supply wingers in the final third. Credit to Vernam for dropping off to receive the ball, turn and attack defenders.

At least our full backs looked more assured than at Macc and Davis stayed on his feet. It was sad to see us string seven players across the back to defend a 1-0 lead from the second minute!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Abdul19
December 29, 2019, 8:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Heisenberg

11 League, 2 FA Cup, 2 Trophy.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
LH
December 29, 2019, 8:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,506
Gold Stars: 173
I don’t know what we’re trying to achieve in 80% of the time in the games we play. No real aim to anything we do and no new ideas in any of the starting elevens. This is evident throughout the club though so it’s not surprising that the reason for the club existing is a shambles.

Vernam was the only threat today and did get some joy early on and towards the end of the game. Ogbu put two chances on plates for others but the rest of them are too brainless to move into the areas to get on the end of them. The cut back from the goal line was asking to get tapped in! Whilst we’re talking about brainlessness - Green is ineffective cause he can’t or won’t run. We then bring on Rose who runs but is never in the right place. Or on the rare occasion he is he skies it, shoots when there’s a pass on or passes when the shots on. Can this be coached? Not easily I don’t think and do we have the time and patience to do it?

It’s going to feel like a long, long time until May.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
jonnyboy82
December 29, 2019, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Am i the only one gonna say it how it is?

We looked like we are going nowhere and fast, love this progression since jolley has gone bullshit, we if anything look worse.

It was borderline sh!t apart from the first 20 minutes lets not dress it up.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Croxton
December 29, 2019, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from LH
I don’t know what we’re trying to achieve in 80% of the time in the games we play. No real aim to anything we do and no new ideas in any of the starting elevens. This is evident throughout the club though so it’s not surprising that the reason for the club existing is a shambles.

Vernam was the only threat today and did get some joy early on and towards the end of the game. Ogbu put two chances on plates for others but the rest of them are too brainless to move into the areas to get on the end of them. The cut back from the goal line was asking to get tapped in! Whilst we’re talking about brainlessness - Green is ineffective cause he can’t or won’t run. We then bring on Rose who runs but is never in the right place. Or on the rare occasion he is he skies it, shoots when there’s a pass on or passes when the shots on. Can this be coached? Not easily I don’t think and do we have the time and patience to do it?

It’s going to feel like a long, long time until May.

This will upset some on row F in the upper but I see no point in Green regardless of 443 or 442. He is a dilettante who flatters to deceive. Surely a central attacker should occasionally move towards a midfielder to offer a give and go, nip in front of a defender at the near post or check back to the edge of the box for a pull back.? If Rose has lots to learn you would not say 'watch Greeny'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
GollyGTFC
December 29, 2019, 8:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
For weeks we've been fed the line that if we took our chances and went 1-0 up in a game it would be different. Well today we did and if anything it was worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 47
sydney
December 29, 2019, 8:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Not Great Today
Draw probably about right
All tried and ran and ran.. still no win though..
What’s happening please JF?
Are we going to glide on with AL hoping we stay above bottom?
or is there any serious intent for a new manager?
I have Latics contacts who said Salford where v good today and full of confidence (they beat a very good Crewe side on Boxing Day as well)
Perhaps after another home mauling on New Year’s Day we will realise we could be in deep **** if we don’t act
Come on Town fed up of this, this, acceptance of Poor results
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
HertsGTFC
December 29, 2019, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Today just proves that Limbrick is not the man, he said on RH that picking green was a "gamble" as he has a groin injury, Why gamble and then make it a bigger gamble and expect him to lead the line in a front 3 where you have to work a lot harder and cover more yards. Our wide players looked half decent today so maybe a 4-4-2 would have actually worked?

He said before the game that Moses didn't have much impact at Macc, agree completely but he never will do if he's not given a run of a handful of games.So half time comes around and the gamble has failed so what does he do? Take Green off and bring on Moses the player he started in the last game to prove himself? No he brings on Rose who is quick but has yet to develop any form of footballing brain and once again proved himself to be a right selfish sod taking pot shots when others are in good positions closer to the goal.

Limbrick then swaps the wide players who at times looked pretty dangerous, so we had a left footed player on the right and a right footed player on the left, that didn't work in reality so he takes Wright off. In the end though he worked it out the issue was not the wide players it was just that the midfield couldn't get the ball to them.        

When the penny appeared to drop he replaced Clifton, put Hess in that role and brought on Cook who was as he described again on RH a "gamble" as he's just coming back from injury but he gambles with Green so why not throw Cook in 15 mins from the end rather than 5 mins or so from full time?

I get that he's not got many options but similar to when Hurst moved to the diamond versus the Scunts Limbrick looked slow on the uptake, maybe if he spent more time watching the game than trying to influence the 4th official he'd probably cotton on a bit earlier.  

As for the players I thought they did their best overall and Chas, Gibson, Robson and a couple of others had half decent games. Waterfall has yet to convince me that he's no better than NL class but then again he's not alone in this squad and if things don't improve fast he may got the opportunity very soon to prove it.

So,

- 21st in the 4th Division
- No league win since the end of September
- Just 3 goals scored in 2 months
- No permanent manager since the last one left weeks ago.

Limbrick clearly is a decent guy with good values but if anyone seriously thinks that he can move us out of this and take us forward than they are as barmy as our "Dear Leader" AKA "Non Chairman".

There are 3 teams below us in the table lets just hope at least one of them is still there come May.

UTM!

P.S. I noticed that Mansfield are just one place above us despite their spending and blond ambition.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
Croxton
December 29, 2019, 9:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Spot on Herts. AL was like Andre Preview today. All the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Errr, Edit:-  On reflection, it was Eric Morecambe.  Showing my age again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
oochiad
December 29, 2019, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,717
Gold Stars: 28
I watched on my phone in Edinburgh. In a nutshell. Started off great, Vernam very effective. Stopped giving him the ball and we sat back. Inevitably they scored. Second half Rose not very effective but tried, Ogbu on and made a difference with Vernam getting back into it. Disappointed with Wright to be honest, missed two sitters at Macc and didn’t do enough today but will hopefully improve. I hope New Year’s Day goes much better! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
RichMariner
December 29, 2019, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Think that's 15 without a win in all competitions, Limbrick responsible for 8 of them.

Like a few others have already said, you can talk about improvement and simplification all you like under AL but the crux of the matter is that we can't win a game.

Take a look at that record-breaking winless run we had in 2009/10 under Woods, and check out how many draws we got. It was something like 16 or 17.

Draws do us no good. This game is about sticking the ball in the net and earning three points. Limbrick hasn't done it for us in 8 games now. It's time to make a decision Mr Fenty.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
fishboyUTM
December 29, 2019, 11:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
You'd have thought the decision was straightforward. It will need board approval supposedly. I'd like to know the trusts opinion on this, but it's rare we get to know the trusts opinion on anything as they are in bed with the club. The transfer window opens in two days, we need a manager in and we need a manager in NOW. And it can't be Limbrick, who seems a good bloke but has failed the lengthy audition.

Give us something back, go and appoint Ian Holloway. it's a no brainer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
Maringer
December 29, 2019, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,499
Gold Stars: 185
Vernam is right-footed. Did some good work with his left foot today, however.

As for the game itself, another where we did pretty well in spells but didn't make enough of the chances which we created. I've seen us play much worse yet win comfortably, but that's just the way it is going at the moment. Crawley had some good players so not too surprised they had a spell on top during the game, but typical that they scored from the first real chance they created - very clever throughball by their No.12, however. Not sure why some on this board seem to think they were rubbish as they looked to have some decent players today. They won 4-0 on Boxing Day against a team above them in the table, let's not forget.

Overall, I do think there has been a marked improvement in the performances I've seen since Jolley's departure, but the results haven't improved to the same degree. Thought we would be sure to win when Hessenthaler scored!

Bringing on Rose for Green was certainly a poor choice for me, but I'm not sure that the young lad deserves all the criticism I've seen heaped on him today. It was a truly bizarre situation with him when we were trying to get a work permit because he wasn't allowed to play in the games where you would expect a youngster to get the experience of playing. He still looks like he's got some ability, but he's years behind his actual age development-wise. As long as he's being chucked into an ever-changing and always-struggling team, it will be difficult to see him improve. Asking him to lead the line in the second half was just daft though it should also be noted that our 3 forwards at that point had less than 10 League career goals between them! That shows the paucity of quality/experience in our squad.

Overall, I'd guess that Limbrick will probably be kept on as assistant of an unspecified future manager. This being the case, the new man needs to come in very soon so he can hopefully bring in a couple of players to strengthen the squad to help to pull us up into a comfortable mid-table position.

My MotM was Robson, incidentally. Had the odd quiet spell but really got stuck in and had one of his better games, winning a lot of tackles against opponents who were in general bigger, quicker and more skilful than us in the midfield area. A better range of passing at times from him today as well. It can make such a difference when a crossfield pass is fizzed across to a player instead of just chipped over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
itsnotcoditshaddock
December 30, 2019, 11:33am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Unpopular opinion: Rose is no better than Cardwell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
lee65
December 30, 2019, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10

Well I'd agree that neither are very inspiring currently, but I also see them as different types of player.  As far as holding the ball up then Cardwell is probably 3rd in our current squad behind Hanson and Ogbu, while Rose is more of a wide player I feel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
bedders78
December 30, 2019, 11:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
A performance in 3 parts, when we moved the ball quickly to Vernam and Wright we looked dangerous at the start, when the ball wasn't moved on as quickly we couldn't compete with a very physical Crawley team and a ref applying a different standard to their challenges. At the end Cook and Ogbu showed that we have been missing them and we finished strongly.

IF we can get Holloway, then he's probably worth the gamble, else I'm happy for AL to carry on as he seems to be getting a performance out of the players and I like the way he sets the team up.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
diehardmariner
December 30, 2019, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
Big problems for me.

Started off well with Vernam absolutely ripping their fullback apart.  The lad is playing his best stuff in a Town shirt and in fairness to Limbrick, that's got to be down to him. He's given him the confidence and run in the side, in a set position and he's delivering.  

Wright on the other flank looks a threat but we have to remember how relatively inexperienced he is still. If we're pinning hopes on him this early in his career, we're really doomed!

Green was totally isolated.  But he was poor, so poor in fact.  Yeah he may have had an injury going into the game but he's been poor for most of the season.  I don't see what he offers.  It doesn't stick, he's not quick, he's not aggressive, he hasn't got a great touch, he doesn't read the game well, he doesn't put in a shift (definitely not like he did in his first few games).  Ultimately he goes down as a poor signing.  

But the options were limited.  Ogbu isn't fit so he wouldn't have lasted the game.  Rose is, well we'll get to Rose later and then you're down to Cardwell....I get why Limbrick would have gambled with Green, it's just a shame it's a relatively poor player to have to gamble with and shows our lack of quality.

Midfield is still wrong for me.  Clifton and Hessenthaler are both less effective in their newer roles.  Robson by far the better of the three and now he seems to have stopped fancying about, he's far better.  He's clearly got some footballing ability so it's a shame he doesn't get chance to show it with so many poor players around him.

Defence is a big problem.  Waterfall isn't good enough, I'm sorry but that's just how it is.  He's too slow, too clumsy and his reading of the game is atrocious.  What he was doing for their goal I don't know and the laboured attempt at redeeming himself was embarrassing.  Alongside him Davis doesn't look the same player as the one from earlier in the season, all the while we've got our best centre back sat on the bench...

Change wise, Limbrick did what he could.  Green off at half-time (injury or not it was the right move).  Rose doesn't have a clue though.  He hasn't developed at all, take away his pace and there's not a single football club in the league, Conference, Conference North/South....who would even consider him.   I don't think I've seen us have a footballer with so little understanding of the game.  Yesterday I genuinely thought if we pulled a fan out of the crowd, they would have known how to play the game better.  It does beg the question what the hell has been going on in training for the last two years with the lad!

I thought it was the right move when Limbrick took Clifton off and brought another attacker on in Cook but the quality just isn't there across the team.  If you take Vernam out of the side yesterday, we had nothing remotely capable of unlocking their defence.  

Whoever comes in has a hard job.  Hanson back in as the centre forward would make a world of difference, providing it's not aimless punts up to him.  I think a front three of Hanson, Vernam and Wright (Ogbu as the back up/alternative) would be ok and have enough about it to get goals.  But the biggest problem is that the three becomes a one. Too often yesterday we retreated to five across the middle and all we do is invite pressure.  We're not good enough at the back to invite pressure.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
mimma
December 30, 2019, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,570
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from diehardmariner
Big problems for me.

Started off well with Vernam absolutely ripping their fullback apart.  The lad is playing his best stuff in a Town shirt and in fairness to Limbrick, that's got to be down to him. He's given him the confidence and run in the side, in a set position and he's delivering.  

Wright on the other flank looks a threat but we have to remember how relatively inexperienced he is still. If we're pinning hopes on him this early in his career, we're really doomed!

Green was totally isolated.  But he was poor, so poor in fact.  Yeah he may have had an injury going into the game but he's been poor for most of the season.  I don't see what he offers.  It doesn't stick, he's not quick, he's not aggressive, he hasn't got a great touch, he doesn't read the game well, he doesn't put in a shift (definitely not like he did in his first few games).  Ultimately he goes down as a poor signing.  

But the options were limited.  Ogbu isn't fit so he wouldn't have lasted the game.  Rose is, well we'll get to Rose later and then you're down to Cardwell....I get why Limbrick would have gambled with Green, it's just a shame it's a relatively poor player to have to gamble with and shows our lack of quality.

Midfield is still wrong for me.  Clifton and Hessenthaler are both less effective in their newer roles.  Robson by far the better of the three and now he seems to have stopped fancying about, he's far better.  He's clearly got some footballing ability so it's a shame he doesn't get chance to show it with so many poor players around him.

Defence is a big problem.  Waterfall isn't good enough, I'm sorry but that's just how it is.  He's too slow, too clumsy and his reading of the game is atrocious.  What he was doing for their goal I don't know and the laboured attempt at redeeming himself was embarrassing.  Alongside him Davis doesn't look the same player as the one from earlier in the season, all the while we've got our best centre back sat on the bench...

Change wise, Limbrick did what he could.  Green off at half-time (injury or not it was the right move).  Rose doesn't have a clue though.  He hasn't developed at all, take away his pace and there's not a single football club in the league, Conference, Conference North/South....who would even consider him.   I don't think I've seen us have a footballer with so little understanding of the game.  Yesterday I genuinely thought if we pulled a fan out of the crowd, they would have known how to play the game better.  It does beg the question what the hell has been going on in training for the last two years with the lad!

I thought it was the right move when Limbrick took Clifton off and brought another attacker on in Cook but the quality just isn't there across the team.  If you take Vernam out of the side yesterday, we had nothing remotely capable of unlocking their defence.  

Whoever comes in has a hard job.  Hanson back in as the centre forward would make a world of difference, providing it's not aimless punts up to him.  I think a front three of Hanson, Vernam and Wright (Ogbu as the back up/alternative) would be ok and have enough about it to get goals.  But the biggest problem is that the three becomes a one. Too often yesterday we retreated to five across the middle and all we do is invite pressure.  We're not good enough at the back to invite pressure.

Good summing up.

I've highlighted the main problem we have. We just can't seem to get out of this habit of retreating, defending our box and not having an outlet up front to relieve the pressure. Is it lack of confidence or are they told to play like this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
diehardmariner
December 30, 2019, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
In Limbrick's defence, he did seem to be urging his players to push forward and not retreat as much.  

The frustration for me was the continued insistence on bringing everyone back at set-pieces.  Crawley didn't and I lost count how many times they nearly did us on the counter.  Every time we cleared a corner or free-kick it came straight back in, simply because we had no-one to pick up the clearance.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
toontown
December 30, 2019, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70

He is. It's just that that is an exceptionally low bar. Rose might develop into a conference level player, Caldwell is a regional football semi-pro level player, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
toontown
December 30, 2019, 1:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

He is. It's just that that is an exceptionally low bar. Rose might develop into a conference level player, Caldwell is a regional football semi-pro level player, in my opinion.

Oh and as mentioned above by someone, roses football understanding is the worst I've ever seen in a town player. However his physical attributes mean if he does ever learn some understanding of the game he could be a useful conference striker I think. At the moment he should only be used off the sub bench late against tiring defenders, his pace and physicality might work something then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
99agrant
December 30, 2019, 1:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 4
Why am I the only person who seems to think Holloway is a bad idea. His management success record is poor to say the least! Blackpool being his only successful spell. Surely we can find a more successful manager from the lower leagues on his way up than one on his way down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
gobby
December 30, 2019, 2:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from 99agrant
Why am I the only person who seems to think Holloway is a bad idea. His management success record is poor to say the least! Blackpool being his only successful spell. Surely we can find a more successful manager from the lower leagues on his way up than one on his way down.

Promotion from Old 2nd division with Bristol Rovers 03/04
Promotion with Blackpool to Premier 09/10
Promotion with Crystal Palace to Premier 12/13
Only 1 out of these 3 count then?
In truth didn’t realise he did it with Palace!
😎 UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Northbank Mariner
December 30, 2019, 2:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from gobby

Promotion from Old 2nd division with Bristol Rovers 03/04
Promotion with Blackpool to Premier 09/10
Promotion with Crystal Palace to Premier 12/13
Only 1 out of these 3 count then?
In truth didn’t realise he did it with Palace!
😎 UTMM

And that appears to be a poor record to some!!...we can only dream of a manager who's had that kind of success...
Out of interest, who was the last manager we had that promoted teams through the league's before joining us?..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
FishOutOfWater
December 30, 2019, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mimma

Good summing up.

I've highlighted the main problem we have. We just can't seem to get out of this habit of retreating, defending our box and not having an outlet up front to relieve the pressure. Is it lack of confidence or are they told to play like this?

MJ said in his last post-match interview that the players dropping back was an issue... albeit it was for more or less the whole of the second half in that cup game at home to Newport

If both he and now AL is seeing it happen, you have to assume it's the players themselves retreating and that they're not under orders

Saying that why then isn't whoever is in charge on the touchline tweaking things, encouraging them out?

One of my gripes about Macca being captain actually because if we had an outfield "leader" that might address this issue of inviting pressure on to ourselves

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 47
TownSNAFU5
December 30, 2019, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, but, apart from all these impressive promotions at different clubs, what has he done?  

Will he fit in here?  Our last promotion within the FL was over 20 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
December 30, 2019, 3:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes, but, apart from all these impressive promotions at different clubs, what has he done?  

Will he fit in here?  Our last promotion within the FL was over 20 years ago.

interesting to note that we're on our 3rd manager who hasn't had a professional playing career and a continual theme has been not getting their message across to the players. Here's an interesting quote from the none league paper after limbrick got sacked

"Watching Limbrick that night, it was clear to see he had come from a coaching and technical background, because he didn’t stop ‘coaching’ on the touchline.

Constantly trying to get his message and his methods across, it was like he wanted to send a strong message out to his players that he was firmly in control.

You can’t fault him for that, but I do question whether it is the right approach. I’ve rarely seen players respond to it when they are in the thick of the action"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
AussieMariner
December 30, 2019, 7:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31

interesting to note that we're on our 3rd manager who hasn't had a professional playing career and a continual theme has been not getting their message across to the players. Here's an interesting quote from the none league paper after limbrick got sacked

"Watching Limbrick that night, it was clear to see he had come from a coaching and technical background, because he didn’t stop ‘coaching’ on the touchline.

Constantly trying to get his message and his methods across, it was like he wanted to send a strong message out to his players that he was firmly in control.

You can’t fault him for that, but I do question whether it is the right approach. I’ve rarely seen players respond to it when they are in the thick of the action"

He’s got a bloody good whistle on him but (please apply Aussie accent)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
jock dock tower
December 30, 2019, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

And that appears to be a poor record to some!!...we can only dream of a manager who's had that kind of success...
Out of interest, who was the last manager we had that promoted teams through the league's before joining us?..

Lawrie McMnemy, I would assume, but he only got him cos Donny sacked him after promoting them the previous season.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2019, 8:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228

To be fair to Limbrick maybe his players needed that approach.

I sense he’s probably a decent coach in terms of “plan do review” and delivering plans to improve players techniques and getting them to play what’s in front of them in a game.

There is a real difference between a coach and tactician and I’m sure the latter is learnt over time and through gaining experience. Look at Hurst when we played the Scunts he made a really positive change to try and stop us dominating and get something from the game, it worked really well but I can never remember him doing that kind of thing in the opposite dug out.

If we landed Holloway I’d be more than happy to see Limbrick kept on at the club as a coach as if reports are to be believed the players he can engage the players.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.