This thread currently has 10,336 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
December 29, 2019, 8:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
I don’t know what we’re trying to achieve in 80% of the time in the games we play. No real aim to anything we do and no new ideas in any of the starting elevens. This is evident throughout the club though so it’s not surprising that the reason for the club existing is a shambles.

Vernam was the only threat today and did get some joy early on and towards the end of the game. Ogbu put two chances on plates for others but the rest of them are too brainless to move into the areas to get on the end of them. The cut back from the goal line was asking to get tapped in! Whilst we’re talking about brainlessness - Green is ineffective cause he can’t or won’t run. We then bring on Rose who runs but is never in the right place. Or on the rare occasion he is he skies it, shoots when there’s a pass on or passes when the shots on. Can this be coached? Not easily I don’t think and do we have the time and patience to do it?

It’s going to feel like a long, long time until May.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
jonnyboy82
December 29, 2019, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Am i the only one gonna say it how it is?

We looked like we are going nowhere and fast, love this progression since jolley has gone bullshit, we if anything look worse.

It was borderline sh!t apart from the first 20 minutes lets not dress it up.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Croxton
December 29, 2019, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from LH
I don’t know what we’re trying to achieve in 80% of the time in the games we play. No real aim to anything we do and no new ideas in any of the starting elevens. This is evident throughout the club though so it’s not surprising that the reason for the club existing is a shambles.

Vernam was the only threat today and did get some joy early on and towards the end of the game. Ogbu put two chances on plates for others but the rest of them are too brainless to move into the areas to get on the end of them. The cut back from the goal line was asking to get tapped in! Whilst we’re talking about brainlessness - Green is ineffective cause he can’t or won’t run. We then bring on Rose who runs but is never in the right place. Or on the rare occasion he is he skies it, shoots when there’s a pass on or passes when the shots on. Can this be coached? Not easily I don’t think and do we have the time and patience to do it?

It’s going to feel like a long, long time until May.

This will upset some on row F in the upper but I see no point in Green regardless of 443 or 442. He is a dilettante who flatters to deceive. Surely a central attacker should occasionally move towards a midfielder to offer a give and go, nip in front of a defender at the near post or check back to the edge of the box for a pull back.? If Rose has lots to learn you would not say 'watch Greeny'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
GollyGTFC
December 29, 2019, 8:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
For weeks we've been fed the line that if we took our chances and went 1-0 up in a game it would be different. Well today we did and if anything it was worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 47
sydney
December 29, 2019, 8:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Not Great Today
Draw probably about right
All tried and ran and ran.. still no win though..
What’s happening please JF?
Are we going to glide on with AL hoping we stay above bottom?
or is there any serious intent for a new manager?
I have Latics contacts who said Salford where v good today and full of confidence (they beat a very good Crewe side on Boxing Day as well)
Perhaps after another home mauling on New Year’s Day we will realise we could be in deep **** if we don’t act
Come on Town fed up of this, this, acceptance of Poor results
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
HertsGTFC
December 29, 2019, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Today just proves that Limbrick is not the man, he said on RH that picking green was a "gamble" as he has a groin injury, Why gamble and then make it a bigger gamble and expect him to lead the line in a front 3 where you have to work a lot harder and cover more yards. Our wide players looked half decent today so maybe a 4-4-2 would have actually worked?

He said before the game that Moses didn't have much impact at Macc, agree completely but he never will do if he's not given a run of a handful of games.So half time comes around and the gamble has failed so what does he do? Take Green off and bring on Moses the player he started in the last game to prove himself? No he brings on Rose who is quick but has yet to develop any form of footballing brain and once again proved himself to be a right selfish sod taking pot shots when others are in good positions closer to the goal.

Limbrick then swaps the wide players who at times looked pretty dangerous, so we had a left footed player on the right and a right footed player on the left, that didn't work in reality so he takes Wright off. In the end though he worked it out the issue was not the wide players it was just that the midfield couldn't get the ball to them.        

When the penny appeared to drop he replaced Clifton, put Hess in that role and brought on Cook who was as he described again on RH a "gamble" as he's just coming back from injury but he gambles with Green so why not throw Cook in 15 mins from the end rather than 5 mins or so from full time?

I get that he's not got many options but similar to when Hurst moved to the diamond versus the Scunts Limbrick looked slow on the uptake, maybe if he spent more time watching the game than trying to influence the 4th official he'd probably cotton on a bit earlier.  

As for the players I thought they did their best overall and Chas, Gibson, Robson and a couple of others had half decent games. Waterfall has yet to convince me that he's no better than NL class but then again he's not alone in this squad and if things don't improve fast he may got the opportunity very soon to prove it.

So,

- 21st in the 4th Division
- No league win since the end of September
- Just 3 goals scored in 2 months
- No permanent manager since the last one left weeks ago.

Limbrick clearly is a decent guy with good values but if anyone seriously thinks that he can move us out of this and take us forward than they are as barmy as our "Dear Leader" AKA "Non Chairman".

There are 3 teams below us in the table lets just hope at least one of them is still there come May.

UTM!

P.S. I noticed that Mansfield are just one place above us despite their spending and blond ambition.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
Croxton
December 29, 2019, 9:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Spot on Herts. AL was like Andre Preview today. All the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Errr, Edit:-  On reflection, it was Eric Morecambe.  Showing my age again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
oochiad
December 29, 2019, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
I watched on my phone in Edinburgh. In a nutshell. Started off great, Vernam very effective. Stopped giving him the ball and we sat back. Inevitably they scored. Second half Rose not very effective but tried, Ogbu on and made a difference with Vernam getting back into it. Disappointed with Wright to be honest, missed two sitters at Macc and didn’t do enough today but will hopefully improve. I hope New Year’s Day goes much better! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
RichMariner
December 29, 2019, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Think that's 15 without a win in all competitions, Limbrick responsible for 8 of them.

Like a few others have already said, you can talk about improvement and simplification all you like under AL but the crux of the matter is that we can't win a game.

Take a look at that record-breaking winless run we had in 2009/10 under Woods, and check out how many draws we got. It was something like 16 or 17.

Draws do us no good. This game is about sticking the ball in the net and earning three points. Limbrick hasn't done it for us in 8 games now. It's time to make a decision Mr Fenty.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
fishboyUTM
December 29, 2019, 11:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
You'd have thought the decision was straightforward. It will need board approval supposedly. I'd like to know the trusts opinion on this, but it's rare we get to know the trusts opinion on anything as they are in bed with the club. The transfer window opens in two days, we need a manager in and we need a manager in NOW. And it can't be Limbrick, who seems a good bloke but has failed the lengthy audition.

Give us something back, go and appoint Ian Holloway. it's a no brainer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.