5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
December 21, 2019, 8:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
I’m really nervous after that, the players have put in a great shift and also in 2/3rds if the pitch passed the ball a lot better and used the space pretty well.

However I don’t think I’ve seen a side so clueless in the final third (not just today) as we are and I can’t understand why when our attackers have open space in front of them they have a complete aversion to running into the opposition box with the ball at their feet putting defenders under pressure, instead we put average balls into the box for one or if we’re lucky two players arriving.

If your playing 4-3-3 then surely the midfield have to join the other 2 forward players to give the side the best chance of scoring? Which if we’re going to avoid a relegation scrap we need to start doing pretty quickly.

Take the positives I suppose in that we where the better side and apart from the inevitable (credit to Hurst for switching to the diamond) I thought we defended pretty well and like I say the passing was much better.

As they say it’s a results based business and today we failed to deliver one but not for the want of trying for sure.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
forza ivano
December 21, 2019, 11:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Just a little aside.the app fotmob had their keeper as motm, which maybe tells a story
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
arryarryarry
December 22, 2019, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Having seen every game so far this season I thought that was one of our best performances, good football, great determination by the players getting stuck in and the only thing missing as per usual was the lack of a goal.

With this current squad I'm not sure if any manager could get anymore out of the players. We are clearly lacking a decent goal scorer, you can't knock Green's effort but he just doesn't look like a natural scorer and that was one of several chances he has missed recently. However you cannot lay the blame just at the forwards, midfielders have to chip in as well and no matter how well players like Hess play they don't look like scoring either.

We desperately need some additions in January.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
AndyGTFC
December 22, 2019, 1:10am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Same old excrement really. Performances are improving, we looked more hungry and energetic than we have in ages but just cannot score. It’s becoming a massive problem now.

Something needs to change, whether it be the manager, a loan player or two or even both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
NorthseaMariner
December 22, 2019, 9:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Well I thought we played well, we just cannot score to save our lives.
What do we do about that, we don’t have two pennies to rub together. Change the manager with another random? Personally I don’t see what that will achieve. Early season we were scoring for fun, so is it just confidence? I really don’t know.

On an aside, I only caught the end of the Fenty scuffle, so don’t know the inns and outs, but shouting abuse at a director or anyone else for that matter will not encourage anyone else to jump in and invest in the club. So to whoever the young fellow was, just control yourself and try to use your anger in a more constructive way.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Mallyner
December 22, 2019, 9:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Our strike force couldn't score in a brothel at the moment.We outplayed scunny for for what felt like 93 of the 98 minutes today but like usual we walk away with a loss. Limbrick seemed to get our tactics spot on as well.

We desperately need the board to get their cheque book out sign us a couple strikers in January, there are a few in the non league at the moment who seem to know where the net is.

Or Scotland.
Last year I suggested Kevin Nisbet and emailed Town, but got no reply. Young lad 29 goals for Raith Rovers in 34 games, 14 in 17 now for Dunfermline in the Championship.

Another poster suggested Lawrence Shankland, 50 goals in 61 for Ayr, who is scoring for fun also now in the Championship, but perhaps he made himself above our budget.

I am aware the standard is perhaps lower up there, but it has to be worth sending a scout.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2019, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mallyner

Or Scotland.
Last year I suggested Kevin Nisbet and emailed Town, but got no reply. Young lad 29 goals for Raith Rovers in 34 games, 14 in 17 now for Dunfermline in the Championship.

Another poster suggested Lawrence Shankland, 50 goals in 61 for Ayr, who is scoring for fun also now in the Championship, but perhaps he made himself above our budget.

I am aware the standard is perhaps lower up there, but it has to be worth sending a scout.

Good call, I guess the Championship is about National League, NL N/S level so probably the market we could afford.

The problem is they play for other clubs and we couldn’t afford a fee, once again in this window it will be loanees, youngsters and free agents I’m afraid. What ever we can do needs to happen quickly though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 22, 2019, 10:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good call, I guess the Championship is about National League, NL N/S level so probably the market we could afford.

The problem is they play for other clubs and we couldn’t afford a fee, once again in this window it will be loanees, youngsters and free agents I’m afraid. What ever we can do needs to happen quickly though.

We could afford a fee if JF didn’t withdraw £250K each season!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
diehardmariner
December 23, 2019, 8:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
If football was played up to the 18-yard box we would have left the game on Saturday thinking we can mount a promotion push still.

Alas, it's not and we're deep down excrement creek with not so much as a toilet brush to steer us away.

You cannot fault the effort of everyone out there on Saturday but ultimately we're just not good enough and have a real lack of quality.  Our lack of any quality in the final third was summed up when we chucked Waterfall up front of his aerial presence when I've yet to see him direct a single header since arriving.  He's dominant in the air but he just gets his head on it, nothing more.

Best game in a long time from Vernam, he needs to produce that level of energy and fight every game though.  Max Wright looked the most likely game winner for the first 30 minutes and then we stopped passing to him.   Robson the stand out of the midfield players and I'm not convinced that Hessenthaler further forward than Clifton works.

It badly needs a goal to go in from anyone, off something, somehow.  Anything.  Abdul sums it up well very early on, it's Woods like in every possible way.  Cannot fault Limbrick, he got the players playing but we just don't have the ability to put the ball in the net.  Scunny were really poor but they had a guy who can put it in the net.  Priority in January has to be finding the resources to bring in a natural finisher, nothing less.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2019, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
If football was played up to the 18-yard box we would have left the game on Saturday thinking we can mount a promotion push still.

Alas, it's not and we're deep down excrement creek with not so much as a toilet brush to steer us away.

You cannot fault the effort of everyone out there on Saturday but ultimately we're just not good enough and have a real lack of quality.  Our lack of any quality in the final third was summed up when we chucked Waterfall up front of his aerial presence when I've yet to see him direct a single header since arriving.  He's dominant in the air but he just gets his head on it, nothing more.

Best game in a long time from Vernam, he needs to produce that level of energy and fight every game though.  Max Wright looked the most likely game winner for the first 30 minutes and then we stopped passing to him.   Robson the stand out of the midfield players and I'm not convinced that Hessenthaler further forward than Clifton works.

It badly needs a goal to go in from anyone, off something, somehow.  Anything.  Abdul sums it up well very early on, it's Woods like in every possible way.  Cannot fault Limbrick, he got the players playing but we just don't have the ability to put the ball in the net.  Scunny were really poor but they had a guy who can put it in the net.  Priority in January has to be finding the resources to bring in a natural finisher, nothing less.

Hess doesn't work full stop. A more ineffectual midfield player would be hard to find. He makes Ray Wilkins look dynamic.

Never adds anything that I can see - usually passes backwards or sideways, never creates a goal, never scores a goal. Neat and tidy which is fair enough,but in a team struggling for survival is that enough?

He is higher up the pitch now than Clifton, and both are bringing very little to the team; central midfield is where the goals are supposed to be created.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.