5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
December 21, 2019, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
Nothings changed. Can play as well as you like but cant score wont win. Defending was shocking to allow a 3 on 2 break just like the newport Fa cup game. rose isnt good enough, green is finished. Game we should never have lost to a side arguably worse than us on the day. Ending a very bad week on a personal level due to a family bereavement but i am also past caring with town now.   Put more crosses in the box today than what we’ve done in weeks and hanson isnt playing!? Some scuffles in the upper with fenty storming off. Anger taking over. Merry Christmas Fishies. And thank you for the many kind messages ive recieved. I havent ignored you, just havent been online.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rik e B
December 21, 2019, 3:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We played well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Rik e B
December 21, 2019, 3:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
That's not a vote for inertia... Just saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
December 21, 2019, 3:17pm
Guest User
This Club is all but ruined!! 2 decades of this dictatorship and, whilst I am grateful that we haven’t folded, he has failed to build on the positive opportunities!

Paul Hurst brought a togetherness that we haven’t seen for a very long time. That team needed rewarding but money got the better of someone and instead, loans were recovered.

Total failure and the Club is rotten to the very core! Fenty storming off?? No doubt someone told him some home truths!
Reply: 3 - 44
Mariner93er
December 21, 2019, 3:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I genuinely feel for Limbrick today, short of personally kicking the ball in the net, not sure what he can do.

Anyway, intercourse football, I'm sick to death of being kicked in the balderdash every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
December 21, 2019, 3:20pm
Guest User
I doubt there were any prospective managers in the stands because No fecker wants the job.

Probably offering a zero hours contract!!
Reply: 5 - 44
Swansea_Mariner
December 21, 2019, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
We got a top half budget mind. Straight face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 21, 2019, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
We played well.

Irrelevant.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
Abdul19
December 21, 2019, 3:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Green and Rose both missed sitters and Hendrie forgot to shoot when in a good position. All very Neil Woods. Scunny were poor but deserved to win because they scored a goal.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
Mayaman
December 21, 2019, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
On a positive note.  Went to the first Ho Chi Minh City first pre-season friendly.   Won comfortably 2-0 - 35p for parking, 60p for a beer.  Free to get in. Hey, us Town fans need to hang on to summat.  I missed the game as a mate was in town.  Had my earpiece and tried to hide it, like an FBI agent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
ginnywings
December 21, 2019, 3:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
First game for me this season and it was a lot better than i was expecting. We were clearly better than them but they buried their chance and we spurned our many chances. The width of the post was the difference between us taking the lead and we also put in some excellent crosses. I thought we played well but are clearly lacking that killer touch in the final third. I know it's all about putting the ball in the net, but on that showing, we aint a million miles away from the sort of run Scunny are on. I actually quite enjoyed it apart from the scoreline.

That 80's pop duo from Hull popped into my head- Everything but the Goal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
December 21, 2019, 3:40pm
Guest User
Green is not up to this level. Robson and Gibson are our best players by far. What happens when they go. Van Veen can finish but his attitude is all about himself. They were poor. We didn't make them look good they just beat us. Ref looked OK for 5 mins then turned out to be the usual dross. Even the linesman didn't change his own decision. The ref had to change his. Drop ball to them ridiculous. They are a Hurst team dour. Just how many years dis it take him to get us up. Limbrick is clueless. Rose for Clifton come on. Green was on the pitch 90.mins too long. I am so so so disappointed. How depressing is that going onto the New Year. We won't be relagated even when we finish bottom. You play with pride and passion for 90 mins. We are incable to do this. UTM 😫😱
Reply: 11 - 44
TheultimateMariner
December 21, 2019, 3:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
I’ve been a Grimsby supporter for 17 or so years of my 21 years of existence, and honestly this is the first time I’m genuinely thinking about not coming to the games (despite having a season ticket). I know you support your team through the good times and the bad, however not scoring a goal in the league for 2 months and 9 days says a lot for itself, but who’s counting anyway...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
rancido
December 21, 2019, 3:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from 140067
Green is not up to this level. Robson and Gibson are our best players by far. What happens when they go. Van Veen can finish but his attitude is all about himself. They were poor. We didn't make them look good they just beat us. Ref looked OK for 5 mins then turned out to be the usual dross. Even the linesman didn't change his own decision. The ref had to change his. Drop ball to them ridiculous. They are a Hurst team dour. Just how many years dis it take him to get us up. Limbrick is clueless. Rose for Clifton come on. Green was on the pitch 90.mins too long. I am so so so disappointed. How depressing is that going onto the New Year. We won't be relagated even when we finish bottom. You play with pride and passion for 90 mins. We are incable to do this. UTM 😫😱

If the drop ball you are referring to was when the ball struck the ref then you need to keep up with the rules. If the ball strikes the referee and possession changes then it is a drop ball to the team that was in possession- this was introduced in the summer.
Ko

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
December 21, 2019, 3:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

If the drop ball you are referring to was when the ball struck the ref then you need to keep up with the rules. If the ball strikes the referee and possession changes then it is a drop ball to the team that was in possession- this was introduced in the summer.
Ko

I thought we had possession still. Not the first time this season the ref has got it wrong. I'm not getting paid to get it right. The ref was dross. No actually not that good.
Reply: 14 - 44
Theimperialcoroner
December 21, 2019, 4:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
The new drop ball rule is even more balderdash than VA flipping R.

As for Town, played well up until the penalty box. Their savvy was summed up by the Wright chance in the 2nd half. Three strikers moved to the front post, not one of them gambled where the ball might end up. Had they done so it’s an easy tap in. That is what goal poachers do all the time and we simply don’t have that.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
promotion plaice
December 21, 2019, 4:28pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Anyone noticed what looked like part of a seat thrown onto the pitch from the Osmond stand?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
golfer
December 21, 2019, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,372
Gold Stars: 111
Anybody sat in it ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 21, 2019, 5:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,509
Gold Stars: 64

Irrelevant.

Not totally irrelevant as this was one of the best home performances of the season in my opinion and thought Robson was the stand out player. Pity that atmosphere is only once or twice a season as it would surely help if  it was more the norm for home games.

Clearly a lack of confidence throughout the forward players as there were some excellent crosses, opportunities and half chances to have two or three today. Unfortunately, I don’t think Green, Rose, Cardwell, Vernam and perhaps Ogbu are good enough for L2 and none are strikers in the real sense of the word. A total clear out of forwards is required but also we need a contribution from midfield and occasionally centre half as well. Free kicks and corners are just of no benefit to town as we never ever look like scoring from one.

Terrible result, good performance and we all would have preferred the exact opposite but today’s performance actually was very positive and gave me some hope which needs to be turned into results v Crawley and Salford for it to have any meaning. Certainly better than the dross on offer under Slade and MJ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
lee65
December 21, 2019, 6:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
I know it’s frustrating and particularly galling when it’s Scunny we lost to, but like a few above have said, we actually played well today.

We looked to pass short and keep possession, and usually forward at least. When we did go long I thought Green put in a real shift chasing lost causes and putting himself about.

Of course we need to finish better, as we had at least 5 or 6 decent chances that fell to a variety of people and we should’ve converted at least a couple.

We need to keep some perspective, are we really that far away from a decent squad?, with our current regime in charge are we really going to pay out for a high quality manager?, and even if we do are we going to find better players than we have prepared to come to us?

Will wholesale changes take us forward or put us back?

I’m as down with today as anyone, but I do feel that some of the negativity towards the squad “not fit to wear the shirt” etc. Is a little unfair based on what I was watching
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
fishcake63
December 21, 2019, 6:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
best side lost 100% , but & it's a big but if you don't score when well on top you've always got a chance off them getting one chance which they took well , i would give ogbu a chance through middle let's be fair he can't do any worse , we are not far away from been a good side , back four solid perhaps need a midfielder to break into box & a striker then we will climb table , problem is no money available to sign
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 21, 2019, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from lee65
I know it’s frustrating and particularly galling when it’s Scunny we lost to, but like a few above have said, we actually played well today.

We looked to pass short and keep possession, and usually forward at least. When we did go long I thought Green put in a real shift chasing lost causes and putting himself about.

Of course we need to finish better, as we had at least 5 or 6 decent chances that fell to a variety of people and we should’ve converted at least a couple.

We need to keep some perspective, are we really that far away from a decent squad?, with our current regime in charge are we really going to pay out for a high quality manager?, and even if we do are we going to find better players than we have prepared to come to us?

Will wholesale changes take us forward or put us back?

I’m as down with today as anyone, but I do feel that some of the negativity towards the squad “not fit to wear the shirt” etc. Is a little unfair based on what I was watching

The problem isn’t today’s performance though is it? It’s year after year of runs like this, records being broken for all the wrong reasons. Poor decision after poor decision from the very top which have led to the situation where we look desperate. Desperate for a new stadium, desperate for investment, desperate for a manager, desperate for a win, now even desperate for a goal.

If the board aren’t embarrassed, then they f***ing should be.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
denni266
December 21, 2019, 6:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The problem isn’t today’s performance though is it? It’s year after year of runs like this, records being broken for all the wrong reasons. Poor decision after poor decision from the very top which have led to the situation where we look desperate. Desperate for a new stadium, desperate for investment, desperate for a manager, desperate for a win, now even desperate for a goal.

If the board aren’t embarrassed, then they f***ing should be.

Well said . Hit the nail on the head
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
sonofmadeleymariner
December 21, 2019, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Our strike force couldn't score in a brothel at the moment.We outplayed scunny for for what felt like 93 of the 98 minutes today but like usual we walk away with a loss. Limbrick seemed to get our tactics spot on as well.

We desperately need the board to get their cheque book out sign us a couple strikers in January, there are a few in the non league at the moment who seem to know where the net is.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
TAGG
December 21, 2019, 7:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121

I thought we were very good for most of the game today.
The Town fans were excellent and gave the lads some great supporter.
Ive seen our manager has come in for a bit of stick but I dont see what else he could have done baring running on the pitch and booting it in the goal himself.

I hope we can get behind the lads for the next home game like we did today.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
moosey_club
December 21, 2019, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Absolutely galling in some respects.... absolutely predictable in others...
Thought the team were pretty darn good first half...first and second to everything.....completely on the front foot....Green wasted our best chance..Wright struck the post with our next best......come half time they were happy and gasping we were disappointed.....second half started the same...that first 10 mins we were all over them and the most pressure I have seen us build all season....but once Hendrie didnt shoot the game was lost....we lost heart...they picked up long enough to give the one quality striker on the pitch a chance to score....he duly obliged and the game was gone.
Vernam tried but in reality produced little, Ogbu used the ball well and was definitely brought down, Rose..nothing really.
Should have easily took the points and sent them scaggy tw@ts back with nothing....but we didnt....

We are relying on others to save us as despite possiblity one of the best home efforts of the season we still can't muster a goal.
UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Heisenberg
December 21, 2019, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,809
Gold Stars: 89
What cannot be denied is that the players got stuck in and gave it everything. We just need a goal.

I actually think we’ll bag a few points in the next 3 games. Fingers f#cking crossed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
fishboyUTM
December 21, 2019, 7:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
I’ve been a Grimsby supporter for 17 or so years of my 21 years of existence, and honestly this is the first time I’m genuinely thinking about not coming to the games (despite having a season ticket). I know you support your team through the good times and the bad, however not scoring a goal in the league for 2 months and 9 days says a lot for itself, but who’s counting anyway...

I feel for you mate. I've existed for 43 years now, when I was 21 I was looking forward to a double winning trip to Wembley as we returned to the championship we belonged in after just one season outside of it. We played football you wouldn't believe, a 4-4-2, attacking full backs, brilliant wingers like Dave Gilbert, Gary Childs, Kevin Donovan who was on fire that season.

Top class centre forwards like the Neil Woods, Livvo, Clive Mendonca (though he left in 96/97 I believe after bagging 20 Championship goals as we went down). Lads of your age have had nothing back at all, nothing but shite and shame under John Fenty, you deserve so much more. I knew at the time how fortunate I was to see the standard of football I saw.

We finished 9th in the championship under the great and I mean great Alan Buckley. So sad how bad we are now, there is no end to this nightmare, we need change at the top, Fenty must go and must go soon or I guarantee we will be a non league side again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
nightrider
December 21, 2019, 8:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Somebody needs to fund a striker. 20k. The fans?
Given the huge budgets those non league clubs have (John fenty) , surely they'd snap a couple of ours up

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
arryarryarry
December 21, 2019, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 140067

I thought we had possession still. Not the first time this season the ref has got it wrong. I'm not getting paid to get it right. The ref was dross. No actually not that good.

We had possession after a Scunthorpe pass hit the ref and therefore the ball is given back to them.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
HertsGTFC
December 21, 2019, 8:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
I’m really nervous after that, the players have put in a great shift and also in 2/3rds if the pitch passed the ball a lot better and used the space pretty well.

However I don’t think I’ve seen a side so clueless in the final third (not just today) as we are and I can’t understand why when our attackers have open space in front of them they have a complete aversion to running into the opposition box with the ball at their feet putting defenders under pressure, instead we put average balls into the box for one or if we’re lucky two players arriving.

If your playing 4-3-3 then surely the midfield have to join the other 2 forward players to give the side the best chance of scoring? Which if we’re going to avoid a relegation scrap we need to start doing pretty quickly.

Take the positives I suppose in that we where the better side and apart from the inevitable (credit to Hurst for switching to the diamond) I thought we defended pretty well and like I say the passing was much better.

As they say it’s a results based business and today we failed to deliver one but not for the want of trying for sure.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
forza ivano
December 21, 2019, 11:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
Just a little aside.the app fotmob had their keeper as motm, which maybe tells a story
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
arryarryarry
December 22, 2019, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Having seen every game so far this season I thought that was one of our best performances, good football, great determination by the players getting stuck in and the only thing missing as per usual was the lack of a goal.

With this current squad I'm not sure if any manager could get anymore out of the players. We are clearly lacking a decent goal scorer, you can't knock Green's effort but he just doesn't look like a natural scorer and that was one of several chances he has missed recently. However you cannot lay the blame just at the forwards, midfielders have to chip in as well and no matter how well players like Hess play they don't look like scoring either.

We desperately need some additions in January.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
AndyGTFC
December 22, 2019, 1:10am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
Same old excrement really. Performances are improving, we looked more hungry and energetic than we have in ages but just cannot score. It’s becoming a massive problem now.

Something needs to change, whether it be the manager, a loan player or two or even both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
NorthseaMariner
December 22, 2019, 9:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Well I thought we played well, we just cannot score to save our lives.
What do we do about that, we don’t have two pennies to rub together. Change the manager with another random? Personally I don’t see what that will achieve. Early season we were scoring for fun, so is it just confidence? I really don’t know.

On an aside, I only caught the end of the Fenty scuffle, so don’t know the inns and outs, but shouting abuse at a director or anyone else for that matter will not encourage anyone else to jump in and invest in the club. So to whoever the young fellow was, just control yourself and try to use your anger in a more constructive way.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Mallyner
December 22, 2019, 9:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Our strike force couldn't score in a brothel at the moment.We outplayed scunny for for what felt like 93 of the 98 minutes today but like usual we walk away with a loss. Limbrick seemed to get our tactics spot on as well.

We desperately need the board to get their cheque book out sign us a couple strikers in January, there are a few in the non league at the moment who seem to know where the net is.

Or Scotland.
Last year I suggested Kevin Nisbet and emailed Town, but got no reply. Young lad 29 goals for Raith Rovers in 34 games, 14 in 17 now for Dunfermline in the Championship.

Another poster suggested Lawrence Shankland, 50 goals in 61 for Ayr, who is scoring for fun also now in the Championship, but perhaps he made himself above our budget.

I am aware the standard is perhaps lower up there, but it has to be worth sending a scout.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2019, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

Or Scotland.
Last year I suggested Kevin Nisbet and emailed Town, but got no reply. Young lad 29 goals for Raith Rovers in 34 games, 14 in 17 now for Dunfermline in the Championship.

Another poster suggested Lawrence Shankland, 50 goals in 61 for Ayr, who is scoring for fun also now in the Championship, but perhaps he made himself above our budget.

I am aware the standard is perhaps lower up there, but it has to be worth sending a scout.

Good call, I guess the Championship is about National League, NL N/S level so probably the market we could afford.

The problem is they play for other clubs and we couldn’t afford a fee, once again in this window it will be loanees, youngsters and free agents I’m afraid. What ever we can do needs to happen quickly though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 22, 2019, 10:11am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,509
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good call, I guess the Championship is about National League, NL N/S level so probably the market we could afford.

The problem is they play for other clubs and we couldn’t afford a fee, once again in this window it will be loanees, youngsters and free agents I’m afraid. What ever we can do needs to happen quickly though.

We could afford a fee if JF didn’t withdraw £250K each season!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
diehardmariner
December 23, 2019, 8:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
If football was played up to the 18-yard box we would have left the game on Saturday thinking we can mount a promotion push still.

Alas, it's not and we're deep down excrement creek with not so much as a toilet brush to steer us away.

You cannot fault the effort of everyone out there on Saturday but ultimately we're just not good enough and have a real lack of quality.  Our lack of any quality in the final third was summed up when we chucked Waterfall up front of his aerial presence when I've yet to see him direct a single header since arriving.  He's dominant in the air but he just gets his head on it, nothing more.

Best game in a long time from Vernam, he needs to produce that level of energy and fight every game though.  Max Wright looked the most likely game winner for the first 30 minutes and then we stopped passing to him.   Robson the stand out of the midfield players and I'm not convinced that Hessenthaler further forward than Clifton works.

It badly needs a goal to go in from anyone, off something, somehow.  Anything.  Abdul sums it up well very early on, it's Woods like in every possible way.  Cannot fault Limbrick, he got the players playing but we just don't have the ability to put the ball in the net.  Scunny were really poor but they had a guy who can put it in the net.  Priority in January has to be finding the resources to bring in a natural finisher, nothing less.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2019, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from diehardmariner
If football was played up to the 18-yard box we would have left the game on Saturday thinking we can mount a promotion push still.

Alas, it's not and we're deep down excrement creek with not so much as a toilet brush to steer us away.

You cannot fault the effort of everyone out there on Saturday but ultimately we're just not good enough and have a real lack of quality.  Our lack of any quality in the final third was summed up when we chucked Waterfall up front of his aerial presence when I've yet to see him direct a single header since arriving.  He's dominant in the air but he just gets his head on it, nothing more.

Best game in a long time from Vernam, he needs to produce that level of energy and fight every game though.  Max Wright looked the most likely game winner for the first 30 minutes and then we stopped passing to him.   Robson the stand out of the midfield players and I'm not convinced that Hessenthaler further forward than Clifton works.

It badly needs a goal to go in from anyone, off something, somehow.  Anything.  Abdul sums it up well very early on, it's Woods like in every possible way.  Cannot fault Limbrick, he got the players playing but we just don't have the ability to put the ball in the net.  Scunny were really poor but they had a guy who can put it in the net.  Priority in January has to be finding the resources to bring in a natural finisher, nothing less.

Hess doesn't work full stop. A more ineffectual midfield player would be hard to find. He makes Ray Wilkins look dynamic.

Never adds anything that I can see - usually passes backwards or sideways, never creates a goal, never scores a goal. Neat and tidy which is fair enough,but in a team struggling for survival is that enough?

He is higher up the pitch now than Clifton, and both are bringing very little to the team; central midfield is where the goals are supposed to be created.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
MarinerDevil
December 23, 2019, 11:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
Well it ended with a predictable Hurst one-nil away triumph but the game was quite unlike the wins he masterminded for us in the tinpot.  

I thought we won most of the individual battles, especially against their full-backs who didn't look much cop either offensively or defensively, which is a surprise for a Hurst side.  Robson, Hessenthaler and Clifton played with real aggression and got us on the front foot early in both halves.

Vernam and Wright looked much more threatening than usual and most of our dangerous play came when those two could get their opposite numbers turned.

Despite that, I don't think we attacked with any real method or guile; we were great at winning the breakdowns high up the pitch but as soon as we approached the final third and needed to make a telling pass, we froze and looked lost.

Turning point came when Hendrie passed up a golden chance when the ball was begging to be smashed into either bottom corner, followed by Scunny moving somebody else to RB and switched to a diamond (I think) in midfield.  They immediately broke through the lines when our midfield was committed and scored, and what a finish.  We are desperate for somebody to show that sort of composure.

We're not bad by any means but our attacking play seems a bit desperate, hoping something will break for us rather than crafting something deliberately.  That mentality has to be changed by the coaches and I worry that Limbrick might not be able to do that soon enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
mimma
December 23, 2019, 12:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
It's all down to (lack of) confidence. When it's going your way you just hit it and it goes in. Hendrie for example wanted too many touches after he burst into the penalty area.  If he was confident he would have buried it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
diehardmariner
December 24, 2019, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518

Hess doesn't work full stop. A more ineffectual midfield player would be hard to find. He makes Ray Wilkins look dynamic.

Never adds anything that I can see - usually passes backwards or sideways, never creates a goal, never scores a goal. Neat and tidy which is fair enough,but in a team struggling for survival is that enough?

He is higher up the pitch now than Clifton, and both are bringing very little to the team; central midfield is where the goals are supposed to be created.

You need a balance.  You can't have two or three creative midfielders in there as they'll let the defence become overrun.  Equally so you can't have three defensive minded players in there as you'll create nothing, which is where we're at now.  At this level we're not going to get a Paul Groves who can do it all.  We need to find a balance of a creative player who is assisted by someone who is prepared to do the dirty week, protect the back four and keep things ticking over.  I think we would do very, very well to find a player at this level better than Hess at the latter of those roles.  However, it's irrelevant largely if we don't compliment him with someone who can unlock a defence and/or bang the goals in.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
toontown
December 24, 2019, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69

You need a balance.  You can't have two or three creative midfielders in there as they'll let the defence become overrun.  Equally so you can't have three defensive minded players in there as you'll create nothing, which is where we're at now.  At this level we're not going to get a Paul Groves who can do it all.  We need to find a balance of a creative player who is assisted by someone who is prepared to do the dirty week, protect the back four and keep things ticking over.  I think we would do very, very well to find a player at this level better than Hess at the latter of those roles.  However, it's irrelevant largely if we don't compliment him with someone who can unlock a defence and/or bang the goals in.

Great summary
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
HertsGTFC
December 24, 2019, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Oddly enough on Saturday I thought Robson tried to play the unlocking role and did reasonably well, I get the Groves reference completely as we also need a mid field player to make runs at the right time to join the strikers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.