12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 26, 2019, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Good first half, pretty mediocre second. A few questions that arise..why didn’t Jolley play Clifton...is that enough to buy Anthony a few more games...what has happened to Matt Green...
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 110
Grimbiggs
November 26, 2019, 10:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
We looked OK for a couple of short spells. Maybe we were unlucky in the first half but that only underlines the lack of a good striker and the way all of them snatch at chances. Don’t they practice finishing in a goalmouth ruck?

Too much tip-tap, sideways and back still for most of the game. Then the big lump upfield when they close us down. Is this the old old tactic of trying to draw them out then thump it over for the target bloke to nod on? It hardly ever works unless you play two strikers moving together. It worked when Rose came in next to Hanson once in the first half.

Clifton is now only worth his place on effort, his passing is poor and he cannot beat a marker to save his life. Was Hewitt playing right back tonight? Cheltenham had plenty of space down there second half. Was Green supposed to be playing up front or as auxiliary defender.

We are much too spread out as a team so the player on the ball is always outnumbered and few passing options. Is it because we lack pace or are we not fit enough to move up and down the park as a unit?

Maybe we are a bit better but the jury is still out on Limbrick. We might have the ball on the floor more often but we created very little from it.

Obviously watching a different game to me, Clifton played several decent passes, particularly the one over the top in the 2nd half that Rose if he'd controlled better would have been one and one with the keeper. Some people on here can't have seen many of our recent home performances...far better in all areas, loads of energy and pressing all over the park....Limbrick deserves at least a run of games, and re-assess his position in the New Year .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 110
fishboyUTM
November 26, 2019, 10:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Good first half, pretty mediocre second. A few questions that arise..why didn’t Jolley play Clifton...is that enough to buy Anthony a few more games...what has happened to Matt Green...

1. Had tendonits and Jolley didn't really need midfielders anyway.
2. Hope not, we've 11 days now between games. Get a new experienced manager in, or at least someone who has played the game at a good level.
3. He's nearly 33 and was signed 5 years too late. Gives his all to be fair but he's in decline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 110
cardiffmariner
November 26, 2019, 10:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,314
Gold Stars: 24
We looked OK for a couple of short spells. Maybe we were unlucky in the first half but that only underlines the lack of a good striker and the way all of them snatch at chances. Don’t they practice finishing in a goalmouth ruck?

Too much tip-tap, sideways and back still for most of the game. Then the big lump upfield when they close us down. Is this the old old tactic of trying to draw them out then thump it over for the target bloke to nod on? It hardly ever works unless you play two strikers moving together. It worked when Rose came in next to Hanson once in the first half.

Clifton is now only worth his place on effort, his passing is poor and he cannot beat a marker to save his life. Was Hewitt playing right back tonight? Cheltenham had plenty of space down there second half. Was Green supposed to be playing up front or as auxiliary defender.

We are much too spread out as a team so the player on the ball is always outnumbered and few passing options. Is it because we lack pace or are we not fit enough to move up and down the park as a unit?

Maybe we are a bit better but the jury is still out on Limbrick. We might have the ball on the floor more often but we created very little from it.

Jesus that’s a miserable interpretation of tonight’s game. We matched, and could have beaten, a top six team that have lost one away all season. That’s on the back of a crap run of form and the recent upheaval of losing a manager.

Cut Limbrick and the players some bloody slack and show a little bit of appreciation for the clear effort to make steps in the right direction. It’s been 3 games ffs, not 18 months.

Your comments on Clifton underline your general knack to find fault wherever you can. He’s no superstar but he had a decent game tonight.

The team and the current manager are trying to do the right things and I for one found tonight more enjoyable than any of Jolley’s recent offerings.  A bit of appreciation and SUPPORT wouldn’t go amiss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 110
Rik e B
November 26, 2019, 10:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Well Buckley chose Clifton as his MOM.

Remember his role tonight was to sit deeper than the other two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 110
TwoLeftFeet
November 26, 2019, 10:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
I thought the switch to put Clifton as a deeper midfielder worked well tonight with the added bonus of Hess playing further forward.

Shame we couldn't get the goal 1st half performance deserved  but everyone seemed to put a good shift in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 110
forza ivano
November 26, 2019, 10:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Rik e B
Well Buckley chose Clifton as his MOM.

Remember his role tonight was to sit deeper than the other two.

Hardly in the same league as sir Alan but I had harry as my motm on saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 110
LH
November 26, 2019, 10:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Fair result. Take the clean sheet and a point against a decent away side.

First half pretty good and unlucky not to be at least a goal up. I think Cheltenham were happy to rely on us causing our own downfall to half time and did break quickly a couple of times. Probably a fair tactic against us to be fair.

Second we looked to tire a bit which AL alluded to in his post match and is understandable given our lack of recent games. That allowed Cheltenham to get more into the game second half. I know it’s probably linked to fitness and confidence but I would like the new manager to work on how quickly we transition from defending to pushing on to an attack.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 110
marinerdazza
November 26, 2019, 10:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
We’ve improved over 3 games. He should be given more time. Are you telling me that Pete Wild is in a better position to manage town than Limbrick and Ben Davies?

I hope for once they take their time over this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 110
Rik e B
November 26, 2019, 10:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from forza ivano

Hardly in the same league as sir Alan but I had harry as my motm on saturday

As did I. 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.