12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
November 26, 2019, 11:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Apart from a couple of first half counters i thought we contained and matched them pretty well.

First half the ball was largely in their half of the pitch largely because we played with more patience in possession but pressed them hard when out of possession, either nicking the ball back or forcing them to turn it over to us. Thought we missed the speed of thought/drive to maximise the potential of some of the turnovers however.
Some late sustained first half pressure saw us lay siege to their goal and only brave defending/goalkeeping denied us what would have been a deserved goal.
We had nothing to offer on the right side first half but Gibson and Rose worked quite well on the left and that was were we got behind them succesfully. Unfortunately the crosses/ pull backs didnt pick our players out well enough. That seemed to completely switch second half when we looked more likely down the right.

Negatives...
ran out of steam
subs made zero impact
only Rose looked capable/ interested in taking on his opposition number
a little slow to move the ball forward at times
less than 2500 in the home ends
0 goals for

Positives..
looked solid
ball was on the deck
not losing
players looked interested in what they were doing
0 goals against
earnt a point from one of the games in hand

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 110
bawarmy
November 27, 2019, 12:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rik e B
Well Buckley chose Clifton as his MOM.

Remember his role tonight was to sit deeper than the other two.

And as always Alan did it well
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 110
HistonMariner
November 27, 2019, 3:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
Compare the last two 0 v 0 draws.
Cambridge a side similar to us (SO FAR) .   We had our backs to the wall throughout - we only had  
one in intention, didn't look to play too much, did a job and rode our luck.  Probably reflected the
Managers state of mind.

Cheltenham a side significantly above us (SO FAR).  We were probably a bit unfortunate not to go in
with a lead at half time. Players look to be behind the Manager and were trying to play.  Overall more
positive, reflecting the Managers state of mind.

Limbrick has had fewer options given injuries and illness.  Limbricks stated desire for a consistent approach reflects a more balanced state of mind.

Desire, confidence and luck will be significant factors that will largely determine our season.
Desire - it appears to have improved in the last week or so.
Confidence - will increase after a performance like Cheltenham > Cambridge.
Luck - tends to follow those teams who are getting results.

Cautious optimism - very cautious.  Half full > half empty.  UTMM.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 42 - 110
Mayaman
November 27, 2019, 4:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 73
I feel a surge of optimism
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 110
A.l.f.
November 27, 2019, 6:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Thought we really had to win last night any way possible - dodgy pen, deflected shot or lucky chance but after last nights performance, i'm encouraged with the future on the pitch.  The effort and desire to turn things around was evident, we just lacked a bit of quality to get that goal.  In the first half after a passage of somehow Cheltenham getting several blocks in, i felt that if we'd got one, we'd get two.
There is no hurry to make an appointment and AL should be given more time as the players clearly are happy playing for him.  Ben Davies has loads of experience and has a lot to bring to the party, lives locally and feels part of our community and will give AL good assistance.
Get the feeling, whatever happens that not losing to Scunny on 21st Dec is key to attendances and finances for the rest of the season.
Actually enjoyed last night.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 110
November 27, 2019, 7:12am
Guest User
A point but felt if things were going our way may have been 3. There keeper made some good saves and there was an incredible block by one of their defenders when a goal looked certain. For me Gibson was our mom. Thought Rose played well in the first half but switched off in the second. Defence played well but... Always look like they have a mistake in them. Just one. Pitch looked good but was a bit sticky. Poor crowd though.
Reply: 45 - 110
Swansea_Mariner
November 27, 2019, 8:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Good result and unlucky to not get the win.  Continued progression but with Swindon up next Limbrick has had probably our toughest sequence of games all season, it's very difficult to judge.

Second game in a row that the commentators pick out Clifton as their pick of the bunch yet still some throw criticism at him (although to be fair he's had a fair few jump to his defence on here). Looks like a few have made up their mind nomatter what happens on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 110
PoutonStepover
November 27, 2019, 9:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
I came away happier than I have for most games of late (not really difficult I suppose) but I certainly think that was our best team performance at BP since August, although disappointed not to see a couple of the chances converted, I’d have taken the 0-0 before the game. Nobody had what I’d consider a bad game. Not many times I’ve been able to say that this year.

Was good to finally see us trying to use Rose’s pace, mainly Clifton banging it over the top for him and Hanson trying to nod it his way a few times, but I think he will come good for us this season.

I think we are missing Max Wright’s surging runs and when he comes back we will start creating the goals!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 110
Northbank Mariner
November 27, 2019, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Much much improved performance once again.
The boys left absolutely nothing out there and it was far from a sit back and hope to counter, it was what we want from home performances, pressed well and went at them, certainly in the first half...
Think 3 games in 6 days took its toll tonight and not forgetting one if those games was played in an energy sapping playing surface at Rodney Parade.
Those who think Clifton can't pass a ball need to watch the highlights, 2 cracking balls through to Rose and he broke up play, tackled and generally neat and tidy with ball keeping it simple where he could.
3 games under limbrick, Davis and Moore have given us more confidence in this squad after Jolley single handed ripped the soul of these players with his constant playstation football manager tactics...
Given we've got 10 days to Swindon I am hoping he'll work on building relationships between the players so they gain a real understanding of each other...
Looking forward to Swindon now, 2 teams that will play football and reckon we'll be entertained...can't ask for much more apart from a win hopefully to shut the constant critics on here up....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 110
November 27, 2019, 10:16am
Guest User
Quoted from marinerdazza
We’ve improved over 3 games. He should be given more time. Are you telling me that Pete Wild is in a better position to manage town than Limbrick and Ben Davies?

I hope for once they take their time over this.

Lost 2 and drawn 1?

Reply: 49 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.