Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another one bites the dust.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 304 Guests

Another one bites the dust.

This thread currently has 5,808 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
November 2, 2019, 8:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
I’d like to see any manager do a better job with the limited budget Jolley and Limbo have had to play with . This is reflected in the totally inconsistent run of results we’ve had . Better players can consistently play to a higher level and go on promotion runs . That’s not a dig at our squad but a fair assessment of L2 on the whole . Just look at the results of each team over a 6 week period. Up and down on the whole . That’s why betting on L1 &2 is so difficult!
At the end of the day we as fans have to be realistic. Jolley said he’d need at least 3 windows. I’d say 6 tbh - he’s not going to say that tbf to him as it would make it look like he was making excuses for slow progress but he probably knew it . We don’t have the budget to instantly get success . It’s all about experienced additions matched with youth coming through.
Anyone calling for the managers head needs to have a think about where we are .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2019, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

On that long term view Lew, you could hardly blame Jolley then.

Jolley is just the latest in a long line of managers that have struggled. They struggle because the club is not set up right and never will until we get new owners.

Successful clubs are invariably well run, with a vision and passion for what they are trying to achieve. Sadly our managers have to try and make something out of not a lot and they all fail. Sad but true.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
KingstonMariner
November 3, 2019, 4:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Jolley is just the latest in a long line of managers that have struggled. They struggle because the club is not set up right and never will until we get new owners.

Successful clubs are invariably well run, with a vision and passion for what they are trying to achieve. Sadly our managers have to try and make something out of not a lot and they all fail. Sad but true.

I don’t disagree with the basic thought there Lew. I  really hope Jolley will push us forward enough to break the trend. I fear that even if we did get promoted it’d just be a matter of time before we fell back.

In the absence of any magic wand/Grimsby Jack Walker appearing, I’m clutching at straws like recent improvements in signs coming out of the Politburo.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
moosey_club
November 3, 2019, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner

In the absence of any magic wand/Grimsby Jack Walker appearing, I’m clutching at straws like recent improvements in signs coming out of the Politburo.

JF was our kind of Jack Walker when he came in, shored the club up and injected finances for our survival.  Major differences being Jack Walker had more money, didnt want it back and when he passed on left even more money to the club. ...whereas our version "lent" the money and has had enough and wants the money back.
The only other loaded local who wanted in had his pants dropped in public by the current regime , left as a result and then his shares were given away to the people who he had fallen out with.
There arent many loaded people with local connections, their names get trotted out every now again and with the latest Shutes interest there were murmers his connections to David Ross might be behind it all, but with virtually no communications in a month or two then that seems to have fallen totally flat now.
Forget the sugar daddy route, stable club, running on its means and building bridges locally is the best case scenario we have right now, Jolley is certainly bringing the youth into the first team, the Acadamy seems to be on a little roll in bringing players through so ride on them for a season, sell one on, raise another one...etc etc.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Gaffer58
November 4, 2019, 4:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Look at Scunny, prior to last season it could be said they were a well run club, punching above their weight. Now it's going a bit t@@ts up its starting to come out how much money was actually pumped into them for that success. I'm afraid for our level it's always a rollercoaster, 2/3 seasons on the up then 2/3 seasons of struggle, so I think so long as we are patient a winning formula will be found and once again we will have some fortune before once again falling back to good old division 4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
November 4, 2019, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Gaffer58
Look at Scunny, prior to last season it could be said they were a well run club, punching above their weight. Now it's going a bit t@@ts up its starting to come out how much money was actually pumped into them for that success. I'm afraid for our level it's always a rollercoaster, 2/3 seasons on the up then 2/3 seasons of struggle, so I think so long as we are patient a winning formula will be found and once again we will have some fortune before once again falling back to good old division 4.

How long would you like us to be patient for? Any (nearly) 20 year old has never seen us above division 4. Even if they did see it they were too young to remember it.

Where are the 2/3 seasons on the up? We have decent crowds, why haven't we done better? At least Scunthorpe had some success, and being a better run club will get further success when it does come quicker than in 20 years.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2019, 8:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

How long would you like us to be patient for? Any (nearly) 20 year old has never seen us above division 4. Even if they did see it they were too young to remember it.

Where are the 2/3 seasons on the up? We have decent crowds, why haven't we done better? At least Scunthorpe had some success, and being a better run club will get further success when it does come quicker than in 20 years.

Scunny’s owner was pouring in millions though. If they can’t cut their cloth according to their means they could go the same way as Bury when Mrs Wilco’ husband pulls the rug.

To be clear I am not saying be grateful for JSF’s stewardship.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another one bites the dust.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.