Caveman
October 31, 2019, 10:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from cannylad68
My dad was driving the bus for the Immingham supporters club, when Stanley Matthews played at Blundell Park.
Because of all the congestion, he told everybody to get off outside the ground and then he would park the bus.
After finding a spot to park the bus, he returned to the ground, only to find that the gates were closed. Grounf full.
Was it Blackpool? hopefully someone will have the answer.

Town had two games when we were due to play against Stan Matthews and the gates  were over 25,000.

The first was Good Friday 1947 against Stoke and the other early the next season against Blackpool.

Matthews didn't play in one of those although we, the fans, weren't informed until they were packed into
Blundell Park. I'm fairly certain that was the Blackpool game because I was at that game and I can't
remember actually seeing him play..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
Heswall Mariner
November 1, 2019, 12:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +589
Gold Stars: 30
I remember going to BP in the 62/63 season hoping to see Mathews  playing for Stoke - the game ended in a drab 1-1 draw & he didn't play.
Later in the season I did see him play at the Victoria Ground - Cliff Portwood opened the scoring for us but we lost 4-1 & Mathews at the age of 48 ran our left back (Brian Keeble?) ragged.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
grimsby pete
November 1, 2019, 12:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park for Stoke and he gave Graham Taylor a torrid time result 1-1

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
Heswall Mariner
November 1, 2019, 5:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park for Stoke and he gave Graham Taylor a torrid time result 1-1

Yo Pete no big deal - but I think you've got this wrong.
Stan played for Stoke from 61/62 to 64/65.
They played in the old 2nd Division for 2 seasons 61/62 & 62/63 when they were promoted to Division 1.
Graham Taylors1st game for the Mariners was in the 63/64 season.when Stoke were then in the 1st Division - so he couldn't have played against the Wizard?

I know - I'm a bit of a sad old anorak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
grimsby pete
November 1, 2019, 7:17pm

Exile
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Yo Pete no big deal - but I think you've got this wrong.
Stan played for Stoke from 61/62 to 64/65.
They played in the old 2nd Division for 2 seasons 61/62 & 62/63 when they were promoted to Division 1.
Graham Taylors1st game for the Mariners was in the 63/64 season.when Stoke were then in the 1st Division - so he couldn't have played against the Wizard?

I know - I'm a bit of a sad old anorak.

I have to agree I have just checked my GTFC book of everything and my mind must be playing tricks with me.
I was sure Taylor kept backing off from Mathews and he centred the ball without going past him and Mudie got their goal.  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Croxton
November 1, 2019, 8:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

I have to agree I have just checked my GTFC book of everything and my mind must be playing tricks with me.
I was sure Taylor kept backing off from Mathews and he centred the ball without going past him and Mudie got their goal.  

My brother and I were right behind the Pontoon goal as Mudie scored. No such thing as away strip culture then.  Both teams in their classic stripes!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
grimsby pete
November 1, 2019, 9:14pm

Exile
Quoted from Croxton

My brother and I were right behind the Pontoon goal as Mudie scored. No such thing as away strip culture then.  Both teams in their classic stripes!

Can you remember who was playing at full back Keeble ? and did Mathews center the ball ? If so my memory is not too bad just wrong about Taylor.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
Croxton
November 1, 2019, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

Can you remember who was playing at full back Keeble ? and did Mathews center the ball ? If so my memory is not too bad just wrong about Taylor.

All I recall is an attack down the right. We stood off Matthews who I think played a short pass inside to a runner who whipped a low ball across the six yard box. It broke loose to Mudie , or was it Violet?, who finished from close in. I was twelve and only saw the odd game as Dad worked Saturdays. I know we were pressed against the fence behind the goal and had to keep our heads down during the warm up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
Heswall Mariner
November 2, 2019, 12:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pete- probably Brian Keeble at full back in that 1-1 draw in 62/63.
My Dad was very keen for me to see Mathews before he retired - in those days you didn't find out who was playing until just before kick off - he wasn't & I was hugely disappointed.

As previously posted, he took me to the away fixture at the Victoria Ground  later n the season & he played in that game - Cliff Portwood gave us the lead. Mathews-  at 48 - ran our left back ragged (Again probably Keeble) & they ran out 4 -1 winners.

I have no idea why I remember this stuff as I can't remember what I did yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
grimsby pete
November 2, 2019, 12:49pm

Exile
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Pete- probably Brian Keeble at full back in that 1-1 draw in 62/63.
My Dad was very keen for me to see Mathews before he retired - in those days you didn't find out who was playing until just before kick off - he wasn't & I was hugely disappointed.

As previously posted, he took me to the away fixture at the Victoria Ground  later n the season & he played in that game - Cliff Portwood gave us the lead. Mathews-  at 48 - ran our left back ragged (Again probably Keeble) & they ran out 4 -1 winners.

I have no idea why I remember this stuff as I can't remember what I did yesterday.

I am sure I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park I must be losing my marbles.

I remember going to an away game forgot which one and we heard it was postponed before we got there so we all decided to go to see Sheff Wed play someone, got there and that was off so ended up at Rotherham.

They were playing Stoke and over 14,000 crowded in their old ground, we could not move behind the goal then when they announced  the team there was  NO MATHEWS   so half the crowd left by half time  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Oldie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.