8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Connecticut Mariner
October 30, 2019, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +716
Gold Stars: 7
My first Town game was Boxing Day 1969 versus Bradford Park Ave in the old Division 4 - I was 10 at the time and went in the Osmond stand with a mate and his Dad. We drew 2-2.

Bradford Park Avenue failed to get re-elected that year (an unusual occurrence) - I just looked at the league table and it included 10 teams which are no longer in the Football League - Bradford PA, Darlington, Hartlepool, Wrexham, Workington, Chester, Aldershot, York, Notts County and Chesterfield. Currently the most successful teams from Division 4 that year are Swansea and Brentford in the Championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
Caveman
October 30, 2019, 7:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from 140067

In awe, I salute you! Would the Notts County game be End of May 45, in the Football League North 2nd competition?

You're right about the competition and some old GTFC records I have show we played them on 5th May, three days before
ended in Europe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
promotion plaice
October 30, 2019, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

Welcome Epworth Mariner.

Looks like your first post could be "Post of the Week"  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
Epworth Mariner
October 30, 2019, 10:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
I’ve found this fascinating.......only introduced myself....lol
Perhaps we should have a regular oldies catchup......? Especially on a Saturday if we have lost.....take the pain away.
I have an autograph book of old town players....is that a good start to kick something else off?
I’ve got Stuart Braces .....went to his house in Twining Place ( think it was owned by the club in those days ),his wife gave me a glass of orange and some cake!
Would that happen these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
grimsby pete
October 31, 2019, 11:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
I’ve found this fascinating.......only introduced myself....lol
Perhaps we should have a regular oldies catchup......? Especially on a Saturday if we have lost.....take the pain away.
I have an autograph book of old town players....is that a good start to kick something else off?
I’ve got Stuart Braces .....went to his house in Twining Place ( think it was owned by the club in those days ),his wife gave me a glass of orange and some cake!
Would that happen these days?

Stuart Brace , wife and child got on my bus down Freeman St when I was bus driving.

Would that happen today ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
FishOutOfWater
October 31, 2019, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

Stuart Brace , wife and child got on my bus down Freeman St when I was bus driving.

Would that happen today ?  

Would you be wanting to drive a bus these days Pete is maybe a better question? 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 70
grimsby pete
October 31, 2019, 12:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Would you be wanting to drive a bus these days Pete is maybe a better question? 😉

No Tim the only thing I miss about it is the football specials,

I was driving from 1970 to 1973 when Town had a good team with good crowds so plenty of extra buses put on for the match.

We used to park up allowed free admission to the game and got paid for it.

Only downside was we missed the first 5 mins and last 5 mins of the game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
FishOutOfWater
October 31, 2019, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

No Tim the only thing I miss about it is the football specials,

I was driving from 1970 to 1973 when Town had a good team with good crowds so plenty of extra buses put on for the match.

We used to park up allowed free admission to the game and got paid for it.

Only downside was we missed the first 5 mins and last 5 mins of the game.

That would have worked out quite well at Chelsea Pete.....most of their goals came just after the start & just before the end 😉

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 70
Teestogreen
October 31, 2019, 4:28pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Welcome on board Epworth Mariner.... I’m sure you’ll find The Fishy will be more than happy to have your contributions.

Workington away eh? My first ever game alone at BP ( rather than with my dad)  was Workington at home. Do they still have a team?

I remember watching Town draw with Workington at home 1-1 (probably late 80's we weren't very good) - and the referee was called Jack Bent - who awarded Workington a penalty in the 9th minute (that Tony Geidmintis converted) after succumbing to Workington pressure - the penalty should not have been given. His name appeared to be appropriate.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
cannylad68
October 31, 2019, 4:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
My dad was driving the bus for the Immingham supporters club, when Stanley Matthews played at Blundell Park.
Because of all the congestion, he told everybody to get off outside the ground and then he would park the bus.
After finding a spot to park the bus, he returned to the ground, only to find that the gates were closed. Grounf full.
Was it Blackpool? hopefully someone will have the answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Oldie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.