Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, October 28, 2019, 7:14pm
Hi

Just joined.......supported the mariners for over 50 years now and decided to join the fishy at last......
My first home game was watching a huge centre forward called Gordon Walker......red faced and awful to say the least......
First away game was at Workington with Harry in goal and remember one of their players was called Tony Gedmentis.......still have the programme! I met Harry recently and he remembered the game.....
I live surrounded by Scunny fans but the black and white flag is still up!
Hope to contribute with a bit of old knowledge!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 28, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 1
Welcome to Cynical Old Gits corner!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 28, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 2
Welcome to the most upbeat forum out there!! ...oh, and full of sarcastic old duffers like myself...
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 28, 2019, 7:25pm; Reply: 3
Welcome. Good timing, half term is over! ;)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 28, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 4
Welcome
Posted by: always grimsby, October 28, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 5
Yes very welcome
Same age group as myself
My first game was York City at home
Charlie Wright in goal
I think we won 4-2
1965-66 I think
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 28, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 6
I know many will not believe this but my first game was in 1965. November 17 November not sure about the opposition.
Tees and Hill scored. I remember it was a big crowd. They had a good blond centre  back, no pace though! Centre their centre foward wasn't bad but not a patch on Matt. Graham Taylor was my favourite player always had a cheeky grin.
Oh well It's late October and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused, but I feel I'm being used.
Wecome Epworth Mariner.
Tip take no notice of  ticks or crosses. ;) >:( :P
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 28, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from always grimsby
Yes very welcome
Same age group as myself
My first game was York City at home
Charlie Wright in goal
I think we won 4-2
1965-66 I think

Feb 66 we beat York 3-1.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 28, 2019, 8:45pm; Reply: 8
Welcome there are a few old boys on here you will enjoy the banter although it's been a bit scarce lately.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 28, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 9
Welcome on board Epworth Mariner.... I’m sure you’ll find The Fishy will be more than happy to have your contributions.

Workington away eh? My first ever game alone at BP ( rather than with my dad)  was Workington at home. Do they still have a team?
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 28, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 10
I too am a recent joiner after many years of heartbreak.
My first game in 1957 versus Leyton Orient 7 -2 Ron Rafferty, Jimmy Fell  et al - I was a lost soul from that first game - I always anticipate a a similar score week in week out  - I need help.
Posted by: Rik e B, October 28, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 11
Welcome, can't beat a good old oldie's first hand reminiscence of way back 👍
Posted by: moosey_club, October 28, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Welcome on board Epworth Mariner.... I’m sure you’ll find The Fishy will be more than happy to have your contributions.

Workington away eh? My first game alone at BP was Workington at home. Do they still have a team?

Yes,.... struggling a bit in League 2, a bit one dimensional with a young manager who tinkers alot with the team. .........oh..

.you meant Workington?  ;)
Posted by: golfer, October 28, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I too am a recent joiner after many years of heartbreak.
My first game in 1957 versus Leyton Orient 7 -2 Ron Rafferty, Jimmy Fell  et al - I was a lost soul from that first game - I always anticipate a a similar score week in week out  - I need help.

I remember the game well
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 28, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 14
You do!  -  I am somewhat hazy as a nine year old at the time - but totally obsessed 62 years later. Johnie Scott, Mike Cullen, Oh dear Ralph Hunt I can go on I have seen the Mariners at Rhyl, Runcorn . Southport, & at Old Trafford in a FA Cup 2nd replay against Barrow - 2 -0  Matt Tees who else?.
Good Pub Quiz that one - attendance circa 9000.
Posted by: sydney, October 28, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 15
Welcome
I’m sure the fishy will bring u misery and happiness all in one
Workington Wow
Are they still in existence?
My first game with uncle Roy stood down front of the Barrets Stand
We beat Wrexham 3-0
Come on Town!!
Posted by: denni266, October 28, 2019, 10:52pm; Reply: 16
Welcome to the forum. You may need some thick skin on here at times, and if you have missed some schooling and are a bit behind there are a few who will put you right , especially  spelling, As it is more importenter to spell than putting a good point across. Does not matter if you have a good bank balance, 4 houses, own boat on the broads, 3 cars and 4 holidays a year you will be classed as thick  :P ;) ;D
Posted by: darren9, October 29, 2019, 6:53am; Reply: 17
You’re not the only mariner in Epworth. I’ve recently moved there/here
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 29, 2019, 7:03am; Reply: 18
2/3d in the boys stand. Uncovered.  Remember standing there when it was snow coveted. Oh 2/3d that'll be 11p.
Posted by: Garth, October 29, 2019, 7:12am; Reply: 19
Welcome, another old un breaks cover, good luck
Posted by: cannylad68, October 29, 2019, 8:18am; Reply: 20
Boy's pen 5 d.
Posted by: golfer, October 29, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 21
You do!  -  I am somewhat hazy as a nine year old at the time - but totally obsessed 62 years later. Johnie Scott, Mike Cullen, Oh dear Ralph Hunt I can go on I have seen the Mariners at Rhyl, Runcorn . Southport, & at Old Trafford in a FA Cup 2nd replay against Barrow - 2 -0  Matt Tees who else?.
Good Pub Quiz that one - attendance circa 9000.

A bit older than you SONNY- first match of season. How things change in such a short time-went to see Town at Bristol won 7-0- a week later my first time at Leyton Orient  we go and lose 5-1. and they say Town are NOW inconsistent
Posted by: Brazilnut, October 29, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 22
Welcome mate enjoy the banter and memories and ignore the back biters there are some really nice people on here
Posted by: golfer, October 29, 2019, 11:05am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Brazilnut
Welcome mate enjoy the banter and memories and ignore the back biters there are some really nice people on here

Thankyou !
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 24
Quoted from denni266
Welcome to the forum. You may need some thick skin on here at times, and if you have missed some schooling and are a bit behind there are a few who will put you right , especially  spelling, As it is more importenter to spell than putting a good point across. Does not matter if you have a good bank balance, 4 houses, own boat on the broads, 3 cars and 4 holidays a year you will be classed as thick  :P ;) ;D

That's true one of our posters does have a big house with a snooker table with a £80,000 + car and owns a footy club but he can not spell. ;D

PS.    Neither can I but I am thick and not a  successful business man.  :B
Posted by: barrattstandman, October 29, 2019, 11:29am; Reply: 25
My first game was stood on an upturned Lemonade box at the front of the Barratt Stand with my father in 1951 ( I was 5 Sat the time ) . I remember him going on about this manager we had who he said was great . It turned out to be Bill Shankley. I only remember that the other team played in red shirts and white shorts. I'm not too sure of the score but we may have  won 2-0.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2019, 11:39am; Reply: 26
Quoted from barrattstandman
My first game was stood on an upturned Lemonade box at the front of the Barratt Stand with my father in 1951 ( I was 5 Sat the time ) . I remember him going on about this manager we had who he said was great . It turned out to be Bill Shankley. I only remember that the other team played in red shirts and white shorts. I'm not too sure of the score but we may have  won 2-0.

You old git  ;D  mine was in the same stand in 1955 aged 7 my dad made me go in the boys paddock when we had a big game so I did not get crushed.
Posted by: cannylad68, October 29, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 27
I doubt if many remember Bill Shankly singing over the P.A. system just prior to kick off, every home game.
Grimsby for fish, Grimsby for football, to the tune of the Pompey chimes.

Bill Shankly was born in Glenbuck.
I had a minute share in a horse called Glenbuck, won quite a few races for us.
Travelling to Ayr racecourse for the Gold Cup meeting, I passed the village of Glenbuck.
And yes Glenbuck won that day.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2019, 1:11pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes,.... struggling a bit in League 2, a bit one dimensional with a young manager who tinkers alot with the team. .........oh..

.you meant Workington?  ;)

Haha.... very clever Moosey.

It made me smile at least....   ;)
Posted by: Mallyner, October 29, 2019, 2:23pm; Reply: 29
Welcome Epworth.

My first game was when I was about 7, also as others in the Lower Barrett stand.
Dad worked with Jimmy Fell at Laportes and we were mainly there to see him.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 29, 2019, 2:26pm; Reply: 30
I remember Gordon Walker - but not for long.  He was 6 feet 4 and once scored a cracker from outside the penalty area in front of the Pontoon.

He was said by some to be a great prospect with a lot of potential.  Well,  Kevin Drinkell he wasn't. He did not stay long.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 29, 2019, 2:28pm; Reply: 31
Workington AFC, currently plying their trade in The Northern Premier League Division One, the eighth tier of English football. Workington was the club Bill Shankley went to when he left here by the way.

Oh, and welcome Epworth Mariner.
Posted by: golfer, October 29, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete

You old git  ;D  mine was in the same stand in 1955 aged 7 my dad made me go in the boys paddock when we had a big game so I did not get crushed.

My first game [actually I was a guest player ] at Abbey Park. I was only a teenager but the memory of tripping over my shorts still stays  to this day although my memory often plays tricks with me.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 33
Welcome Epworth. It’s great having another oldie on here. I’m feeling younger and younger  all the time!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2019, 9:31pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Welcome Epworth. It’s great having another oldie on here. I’m feeling younger and younger  all the time!

I've always understood age is relative.... I think what that means  is that nowadays most of my relatives are younger than me  ;)
Posted by: hheh2, October 29, 2019, 10:54pm; Reply: 35
It's not just old gits on here ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2019, 11:04pm; Reply: 36

I've always understood age is relative.... I think what that means  is that nowadays most of my relatives are younger than me  ;)

In the same way I'm an excellent uncle. I'm stupendous. I'm a Great Uncle 7 times over.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from hheh2
It's not just old gits on here ;)

There's some young ones too.
Posted by: Caveman, October 30, 2019, 12:36pm; Reply: 38
My first ever match was when my football-mad mother took me
to see Town play Notts County about the time WW11 ended.

I recall little about the game itself apart from sitting in the Osmond
stand, but I do seem to recall Golfer walking round the pitch before
the game carrying the board which announced team changes.

My first full season was our very last one in the original Div. 1.
The first game, viewed from the boys' paddock was when we
thrashed Villa 3 - 0, one of our very few victories.

Can remember us playing Man U, but can't remember who we
played last week
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 30, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Caveman
My first ever match was when my football-mad mother took me
to see Town play Notts County about the time WW11 ended.

I recall little about the game itself apart from sitting in the Osmond
stand, but I do seem to recall Golfer walking round the pitch before
the game carrying the board which announced team changes.

My first full season was our very last one in the original Div. 1.
The first game, viewed from the boys' paddock was when we
thrashed Villa 3 - 0, one of our very few victories.

Can remember us playing Man U, but can't remember who we
played last week

In awe, I salute you! Would the Notts County game be End of May 45, in the Football League North 2nd competition?
Posted by: Connecticut Mariner, October 30, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 40
My first Town game was Boxing Day 1969 versus Bradford Park Ave in the old Division 4 - I was 10 at the time and went in the Osmond stand with a mate and his Dad. We drew 2-2.

Bradford Park Avenue failed to get re-elected that year (an unusual occurrence) - I just looked at the league table and it included 10 teams which are no longer in the Football League - Bradford PA, Darlington, Hartlepool, Wrexham, Workington, Chester, Aldershot, York, Notts County and Chesterfield. Currently the most successful teams from Division 4 that year are Swansea and Brentford in the Championship.
Posted by: Caveman, October 30, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from 140067

In awe, I salute you! Would the Notts County game be End of May 45, in the Football League North 2nd competition?

You're right about the competition and some old GTFC records I have show we played them on 5th May, three days before
ended in Europe.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 30, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 42

Welcome Epworth Mariner.

Looks like your first post could be "Post of the Week"   :)
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, October 30, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 43
I’ve found this fascinating.......only introduced myself....lol
Perhaps we should have a regular oldies catchup......? Especially on a Saturday if we have lost.....take the pain away.
I have an autograph book of old town players....is that a good start to kick something else off?
I’ve got Stuart Braces .....went to his house in Twining Place ( think it was owned by the club in those days ),his wife gave me a glass of orange and some cake!
Would that happen these days?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 31, 2019, 11:18am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
I’ve found this fascinating.......only introduced myself....lol
Perhaps we should have a regular oldies catchup......? Especially on a Saturday if we have lost.....take the pain away.
I have an autograph book of old town players....is that a good start to kick something else off?
I’ve got Stuart Braces .....went to his house in Twining Place ( think it was owned by the club in those days ),his wife gave me a glass of orange and some cake!
Would that happen these days?

Stuart Brace , wife and child got on my bus down Freeman St when I was bus driving.

Would that happen today ?   ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 31, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

Stuart Brace , wife and child got on my bus down Freeman St when I was bus driving.

Would that happen today ?   ;D

Would you be wanting to drive a bus these days Pete is maybe a better question? 😉
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 31, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 46

Would you be wanting to drive a bus these days Pete is maybe a better question? 😉

No Tim the only thing I miss about it is the football specials,

I was driving from 1970 to 1973 when Town had a good team with good crowds so plenty of extra buses put on for the match.

We used to park up allowed free admission to the game and got paid for it. 8)

Only downside was we missed the first 5 mins and last 5 mins of the game. :B
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 31, 2019, 1:08pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from grimsby pete

No Tim the only thing I miss about it is the football specials,

I was driving from 1970 to 1973 when Town had a good team with good crowds so plenty of extra buses put on for the match.

We used to park up allowed free admission to the game and got paid for it. 8)

Only downside was we missed the first 5 mins and last 5 mins of the game. :B

That would have worked out quite well at Chelsea Pete.....most of their goals came just after the start & just before the end 😉

Posted by: Teestogreen, October 31, 2019, 4:28pm; Reply: 48

Workington away eh? My first ever game alone at BP ( rather than with my dad)  was Workington at home. Do they still have a team?

I remember watching Town draw with Workington at home 1-1 (probably late 80's we weren't very good) - and the referee was called Jack Bent - who awarded Workington a penalty in the 9th minute (that Tony Geidmintis converted) after succumbing to Workington pressure - the penalty should not have been given. His name appeared to be appropriate.

Posted by: cannylad68, October 31, 2019, 4:46pm; Reply: 49
My dad was driving the bus for the Immingham supporters club, when Stanley Matthews played at Blundell Park.
Because of all the congestion, he told everybody to get off outside the ground and then he would park the bus.
After finding a spot to park the bus, he returned to the ground, only to find that the gates were closed. Grounf full.
Was it Blackpool? hopefully someone will have the answer.
Posted by: Caveman, October 31, 2019, 10:45pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from cannylad68
My dad was driving the bus for the Immingham supporters club, when Stanley Matthews played at Blundell Park.
Because of all the congestion, he told everybody to get off outside the ground and then he would park the bus.
After finding a spot to park the bus, he returned to the ground, only to find that the gates were closed. Grounf full.
Was it Blackpool? hopefully someone will have the answer.

Town had two games when we were due to play against Stan Matthews and the gates  were over 25,000.

The first was Good Friday 1947 against Stoke and the other early the next season against Blackpool.

Matthews didn't play in one of those although we, the fans, weren't informed until they were packed into
Blundell Park. I'm fairly certain that was the Blackpool game because I was at that game and I can't
remember actually seeing him play..
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 1, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 51
I remember going to BP in the 62/63 season hoping to see Mathews  playing for Stoke - the game ended in a drab 1-1 draw & he didn't play.
Later in the season I did see him play at the Victoria Ground - Cliff Portwood opened the scoring for us but we lost 4-1 & Mathews at the age of 48 ran our left back (Brian Keeble?) ragged.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 52
I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park for Stoke and he gave Graham Taylor a torrid time result 1-1
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 1, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 53
I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park for Stoke and he gave Graham Taylor a torrid time result 1-1

Yo Pete no big deal - but I think you've got this wrong.
Stan played for Stoke from 61/62 to 64/65.
They played in the old 2nd Division for 2 seasons 61/62 & 62/63 when they were promoted to Division 1.
Graham Taylors1st game for the Mariners was in the 63/64 season.when Stoke were then in the 1st Division - so he couldn't have played against the Wizard?

I know - I'm a bit of a sad old anorak.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 54

Yo Pete no big deal - but I think you've got this wrong.
Stan played for Stoke from 61/62 to 64/65.
They played in the old 2nd Division for 2 seasons 61/62 & 62/63 when they were promoted to Division 1.
Graham Taylors1st game for the Mariners was in the 63/64 season.when Stoke were then in the 1st Division - so he couldn't have played against the Wizard?

I know - I'm a bit of a sad old anorak.

I have to agree I have just checked my GTFC book of everything and my mind must be playing tricks with me.
I was sure Taylor kept backing off from Mathews and he centred the ball without going past him and Mudie got their goal.  :B

Posted by: Croxton, November 1, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from grimsby pete

I have to agree I have just checked my GTFC book of everything and my mind must be playing tricks with me.
I was sure Taylor kept backing off from Mathews and he centred the ball without going past him and Mudie got their goal.  :B

My brother and I were right behind the Pontoon goal as Mudie scored. No such thing as away strip culture then.  Both teams in their classic stripes!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Croxton

My brother and I were right behind the Pontoon goal as Mudie scored. No such thing as away strip culture then.  Both teams in their classic stripes!

Can you remember who was playing at full back Keeble ? and did Mathews center the ball ? If so my memory is not too bad just wrong about Taylor.
Posted by: Croxton, November 1, 2019, 10:57pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from grimsby pete

Can you remember who was playing at full back Keeble ? and did Mathews center the ball ? If so my memory is not too bad just wrong about Taylor.

All I recall is an attack down the right. We stood off Matthews who I think played a short pass inside to a runner who whipped a low ball across the six yard box. It broke loose to Mudie , or was it Violet?, who finished from close in. I was twelve and only saw the odd game as Dad worked Saturdays. I know we were pressed against the fence behind the goal and had to keep our heads down during the warm up.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 2, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pete- probably Brian Keeble at full back in that 1-1 draw in 62/63.
My Dad was very keen for me to see Mathews before he retired - in those days you didn't find out who was playing until just before kick off - he wasn't & I was hugely disappointed.

As previously posted, he took me to the away fixture at the Victoria Ground  later n the season & he played in that game - Cliff Portwood gave us the lead. Mathews-  at 48 - ran our left back ragged (Again probably Keeble) & they ran out 4 -1 winners.

I have no idea why I remember this stuff as I can't remember what I did yesterday.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2019, 12:49pm; Reply: 59

Pete- probably Brian Keeble at full back in that 1-1 draw in 62/63.
My Dad was very keen for me to see Mathews before he retired - in those days you didn't find out who was playing until just before kick off - he wasn't & I was hugely disappointed.

As previously posted, he took me to the away fixture at the Victoria Ground  later n the season & he played in that game - Cliff Portwood gave us the lead. Mathews-  at 48 - ran our left back ragged (Again probably Keeble) & they ran out 4 -1 winners.

I have no idea why I remember this stuff as I can't remember what I did yesterday.

I am sure I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park I must be losing my marbles. :)

I remember going to an away game forgot which one and we heard it was postponed before we got there so we all decided to go to see Sheff Wed play someone, got there and that was off so ended up at Rotherham.

They were playing Stoke and over 14,000 crowded in their old ground, we could not move behind the goal then when they announced  the team there was  NO MATHEWS   so half the crowd left by half time  ;D

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 2, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from grimsby pete

I am sure I saw Mathews play at Blundell Park I must be losing my marbles. :)

I remember going to an away game forgot which one and we heard it was postponed before we got there so we all decided to go to see Sheff Wed play someone, got there and that was off so ended up at Rotherham.

They were playing Stoke and over 14,000 crowded in their old ground, we could not move behind the goal then when they announced  the team there was  NO MATHEWS   so half the crowd left by half time  ;D

I can recall going with my dad to a testimonial game of some description at BP back in the day....not sure when it was but the word got around the crowd that night that Stan Matthews was going to be featuring

Town were playing against a Select XI and everyone was getting really excited but it turned out to be just a rumour and wishful thinking

Maybe you can recall what the occasion would have been Pete?

Probably around 65 time so would we have had a stalwart taking a testimonial around then?

Posted by: Caveman, November 2, 2019, 4:25pm; Reply: 61
I was privileged to see the the man who is generally regarded as Grimsby
Town's greatest ever player, Jackie Bestall, play on Blundell Park.

It was in a testimonial in the 1950's and he made a cameo appearance
of about 15 minutes.

He must have been in his early fifties at the time and when he ran out
onto the pitch in his black and white stripes many of the old-timers in the
crowd were in tears.
Posted by: Caveman, November 2, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 62

of about 15 minutes.

crowd were in tears.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 63

I can recall going with my dad to a testimonial game of some description at BP back in the day....not sure when it was but the word got around the crowd that night that Stan Matthews was going to be featuring

Town were playing against a Select XI and everyone was getting really excited but it turned out to be just a rumour and wishful thinking

Probably around 65 time so would we have had a stalwart taking a testimonial around then?

Nor sure Tim I will have a sleep on it and think who it might be.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, November 2, 2019, 5:19pm; Reply: 64
Welcome to the fishy club.
Yes I too remember the incompetent Gordon Walker...someone I believe we acquired after he was mysteriously washed up on the banks of the Humber with a live haddock stuck down the collar of his shirt.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 65

Just had a lightbulb moment Tim and the only one it could be about that time is Keith Jobling.

He had his 10 years in then but did not retire until 68 I think.

Nobody else had the required time in.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 2, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from grimsby pete

Just had a lightbulb moment Tim and the only one it could be about that time is Keith Jobling.

Could well have been Pete

I was too young to really take the night in but I just remember being alongside my dad and him telling me why everyone was getting excited at the prospect of Stan Matthews coming on for a cameo ( a bit like Caveman just mentioning Jackie Bestall getting a run out )

It would be interesting to try and find out who had testimonials and when over the years.... these days players are at a club for so little time that you don't get to see too many ( our last one was Dizza I believe?)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 2, 2019, 5:52pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Caveman

of about 15 minutes.

crowd were in tears.

Some moment that must have been!

A privilege for sure to get to see one of the club's true legends!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 68

Some moment that must have been!

A privilege for sure to get to see one of the club's true legends!

I never saw him play but walked down his road hundreds of times.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 2, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from grimsby pete

Clarrie Williams?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2019, 11:01pm; Reply: 70

Clarrie Williams?

Could have been .
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 6:30am