Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › jolly the poor workman
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 357 Guests

jolly the poor workman

This thread currently has 7,916 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
October 14, 2019, 7:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from wembley19984
Football is a simple game, divide the pitch into four quarters.
Left sided players, ie those with a left foot play on the left and right footed players, play on the right.
Gives the correct balance, those with pace play out wide.
So Mr Jolley you lost sight of the fundamentals on Saturday and got it all bottom about face, hence the woeful first half.
You're fault 100%

That is spot on.. The point i was making in the o p . was it was not the players fault but Jolley who got it wrong again , and he them blamed the players. But some on here are that far up his behind they are more bothered about  spelling mistakes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2019, 10:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Kris2

Yeah but if a player isn't getting in the team the fans think he's better than he has been when playing.

Maybe so. I just remember how well we played up to Christmas last year with Vernam in the team and then went on a bad run after he got his knee injury. I don't think he scores as often as he might but he certainly has more quality than most.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2019, 10:41am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Jolley might have got it wrong but you cannot excuse the players on Saturday for playing without determination or engaging their brains, or doing the simple things properly.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2019, 10:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Vernam wasn't on the bench for the Mansfield game - Green came on for Wright and did exactly what he did against Salford - tried too hard against a former club which had a negative rather than positive effect.

I understand why some like Green - he works really hard but, to me, he offers less threat than Wright, Rose, Vernam, Ogbu and possibly even Cook.

Thought you were talking about Saturday

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2019, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from denni266

That is spot on.. The point i was making in the o p . was it was not the players fault but Jolley who got it wrong again , and he them blamed the players. But some on here are that far up his behind they are more bothered about  spelling mistakes

Whilst I agree that the selection was odd, there's no excusing that performance, particularly in the first half.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 14, 2019, 12:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Jolley might have got it wrong but you cannot excuse the players on Saturday for playing without determination or engaging their brains, or doing the simple things properly.

Perhaps they feel as bewildered as we do about the selections and tactics. Messing about like Jolley has been doing is not exactly conducive to team spirit.

Is it just my imagination or are we hearing  less public comment from the players at the moment?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
AussieMariner
October 14, 2019, 1:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31

Is it just my imagination or are we hearing  less public comment from the players at the moment?

I think the players make more comments when we win - there were plenty of tweets after the win at Exeter.

Even Dean Henderson went quiet after his mistake against Liverpool.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
Abdul19
October 14, 2019, 2:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Yeah I've not seen many of late, although all they'd say is "gutted about today, we go again, fans were class as usual 🙌" anyway!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
October 14, 2019, 3:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
I see the buzz words moulded into a phrase of sorts is "we go again."

Well unless we are planning not to fulfil our fixtures, I will take that as a given.

What I would prefer to hear is what we are we going to do to improve our chances of threatening the play-off places.

A reasonable start is in danger of coming off the rails unless we stop making unenforced errors, and start getting some shots away.

I wasn't there on Saturday, but by all accounts we were shocking, but in the Mansfield game we never gave the keeper a shot to save.

We have better players this season by some margin; they need to be moulded into an attacking unit that works and get us back on track.

My comments are as obvious as "we go again" I suppose, but one thing I would change for the better is getting rid of the negative mindset about how good the opposition are and how good their manager is that we hear every week. If it is to reduce expectations we are not stupid; we are in league 2 for Gods sake not the Champions League. Play an attacking line up with players in form and who are training well and attack the opposition and let them worry about things.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
chaos33
October 14, 2019, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
It’s hard to understand fully what was meant by the slightly clumsy overstatement that is the title of this thread, but, nonetheless , I think it would be unfair to be over critical of MJ after 2 disappointing results.
We need to stay balanced I reckon.

Lots of people favour a settled team selection and it’s chicken and egg when your results are up and down like ours are. Most people are now advocating changes to last weeks starting 11 and will be vocally critical if he doesn’t exchange some starters, but then others will call it more ‘tinkering’. He’s a bit stuck if the players don’t deliver, like they didnt last Saturday, with basic errors everywhere. And.....how many would, of course, benefit from a ‘run in the team - just like Vernam. Difficulty is - you’re only gonna get that after successive good results, you play well when you get the chance, and it can only really be achieved  if you don’t pick up injuries or suspensions, like we have.

Our basic problem is - we have better players this season than last, but too many of them are not performing to the standards they’ve shown/set on a regular basis. We have too many changes in selection and two many playing ‘out of their best position’, much of which, in fairness,  is enforced, of course. And, we are palpably and frustratingly short of a natural, wide attacking player or two, only having one, who’s now injured.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › jolly the poor workman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.