TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 13, 2019, 12:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
I don't mind the Plan A of using Hanson too much. The problem is that we just don't play it well enough. The service in to him is terrible and we don't have players around him to pick up the pieces because the midfield are deep and we're lacking in pace. I think Jolley was hoping for a Hanson/Green partnership to really click but it has been the opposite as they are rarely close enough to each other to link up.

If I was Hanson I would be quite pi55ed off with the lack of service. Like you I can see the uses of a line leader who will not be bullied in the box. But you have to, you MUST get quality crosses into the box for him. A mixture of the Wright breakaway speed plus Hanson’s heading would be almost unstoppable in this league. Agree about Green but I think he is playing to orders and will be as pi55ed off as Hanson.

But the top and bottom of this inconsistency is in the word itself. If you have inconsistent tactics, inconsistent team selection then you get inconsistent performances. We were told when he cam how intelligent Jolley is but as far as the basics of winning games and building a successful team system is concerned he and his mate have been found lacking. Laptops do not get you pitch points, only Powerpoints.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
devs
October 13, 2019, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
I think we fall between two stools due to the selection
Neither a fast, slick passing team or an effective and direct long ball team
It's sort of "Let's lump it up there and see what happens...play on the hoof...bits and pieces...flicks...
But is leads to directionless and sloppy football
Players out of position; widemen in the centre of the pitch and vice versa; left backs at right back and vice versa

You have to decide MJ - show some balls IMO and be prepared to 'drop' Hanson, Green and Whitehouse (especially when Max is fit again)

Teams evolve and something that looked OK in first 2/3 weeks is not always the way forward - the Exeter game for me was very telling and revealing

Front payers in their natural positions; a great midfield balance; Pollock!;

I think we have the players; I think we have the squad

But Green and Whitehouse (poss Hanson - the fear is if he plays we go long too easily and often) are part of Plan B - on the bench

But above all decide what we are Michael - long ball or a passing team...from the first whistle!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
moosey_club
October 13, 2019, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
whichever side of the fence you sit on regards yesterday's 70 mins non performance lets not forget the display against Mansfield was as poor and therefore changes to the starting 11 were probably required.
Whether the changes following the win at Exeter were needed for the Mansfield game is another issue though.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
October 13, 2019, 1:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
whichever side of the fence you sit on regards yesterday's 70 mins non performance lets not forget the display against Mansfield was as poor and therefore changes to the starting 11 were probably required.
Whether the changes following the win at Exeter were needed for the Mansfield game is another issue though.

I can't easily understand why you would want to change a side - that had just won away at the hitherto
unbeaten league leaders - against a lower-ranked team at home. You can think too much...
Reply: 13 - 52
golfer
October 13, 2019, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,373
Gold Stars: 111

If I was Hanson I would be quite pi55ed off with the lack of service. Like you I can see the uses of a line leader who will not be bullied in the box. But you have to, you MUST get quality crosses into the box for him. A mixture of the Wright breakaway speed plus Hanson’s heading would be almost unstoppable in this league. Agree about Green but I think he is playing to orders and will be as pi55ed off as Hanson.

But the top and bottom of this inconsistency is in the word itself. If you have inconsistent tactics, inconsistent team selection then you get inconsistent performances. We were told when he cam how intelligent Jolley is but as far as the basics of winning games and building a successful team system is concerned he and his mate have been found lacking. Laptops do not get you pitch points, only Powerpoints.

I have 8 O-Levels     3 A Levels  and a degree  I might be intelligent but this doesn't make me an intelligent football manager. If you look at some of the thicko's who are highly paid managers it certainly points to the fact that intelligence in FOOTBALL and not necessarily anything else is the main factor in football success. Maybe certain people need to improve their intelligence in the field that they are employed in. If you learn by your mistakes all well and good but you have to be intelligent enough to realise what those mistakes are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
Yoda
October 13, 2019, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,912
Gold Stars: 62
I think MJ is floundering his team selections are bad, we have zero pace and his main plan is to lump it up to Hanson.

I fear he’s on one of his bad runs again.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
GrimRob
October 13, 2019, 2:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I do wonder whether he picked too strong a team for the Sunderland game. Hewitt, Whitehouse, Cook, Davis and Green all played the full 90 in that game. All three subbed players played the full 90 at the SOL. Would they have been better being fresher for the match that mattered?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 52
HertsGTFC
October 13, 2019, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob
I do wonder whether he picked too strong a team for the Sunderland game. Hewitt, Whitehouse, Cook, Davis and Green all played the full 90 in that game. All three subbed players played the full 90 at the SOL. Would they have been better being fresher for the match that mattered?

100% this IMHO.

The frustrating thing is that we seem to find a formula and then discard it. Also we insist on going ariel to Hanson when he’s just as much of a handful when you play it into him on the ground.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
Northbank Mariner
October 13, 2019, 2:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from HertsGTFC

100% this IMHO.

The frustrating thing is that we seem to find a formula and then discard it. Also we insist on going ariel to Hanson when he’s just as much of a handful when you play it into him on the ground.

Going to out this to you, could it be that Macca, who is becoming a club legend, is slightly at fault for this??...
Lll and Monkhouse spring to mind, the fact JM can't help but lump it out to the big man??...
Maybe, just maybe he needs to be told to move the ball quicker and play out through the midfield rather than resorting to route 1...just think the temptation is too much for him....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2019, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Going to out this to you, could it be that Macca, who is becoming a club legend, is slightly at fault for this??...
Lll and Monkhouse spring to mind, the fact JM can't help but lump it out to the big man??...
Maybe, just maybe he needs to be told to move the ball quicker and play out through the midfield rather than resorting to route 1...just think the temptation is too much for him....

Agree with this - though I would add that it's not Hanson that's the problem, it's the players selected around him.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › jolly the poor workman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.