4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfcmd
October 6, 2019, 4:49pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
Just back from Barton united Gtfc ladies won there cup game 14-1   Well done to all 👏👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2019, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
Very close game then?

Another good result.  Encouraging.  They already need tougher opposition.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
lobsterpot
October 6, 2019, 7:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Was weird to see the same 2 teams against each other from last week when it was slightly closer but the pressure of the BP pitch, crowd and expectency mustve been immense for the womens team. Lets not forget that some of them are only 16! Today they played so much better and put Barton to the sword. Fitter and more skillful indivdually. Personelly very pleased for no 9 Beth Wharton who became the 1st player in history to get a hattrick for the team in a competitive fixture. Also captain Sophie Bartup's 25 yarder into the top bin was superb. Onwards and upwards to Louth away next.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Madeleymariner
October 7, 2019, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +24 / -14
Approval: +2,986
Gold Stars: 49
Got to say well done you can only beat who your facing, but lets face it having watched some highlights from the the last Barton game it looks like Sunday league level stuff a couple of the Barton players looked about 16 stone and no taller than 5'8. Not having a go because its girls it just looked very amateur level to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
Rik e B
October 7, 2019, 7:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
"Pressure of the BP... crowd"

-why, is there many there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
gtfc98
October 8, 2019, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,022
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Rik e B
"Pressure of the BP... crowd"

-why, is there many there?

Have you ever played in front of 500 people? No, didn't think so.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
ska face
October 8, 2019, 1:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,217
Gold Stars: 812
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Got to say well done you can only beat who your facing, but lets face it having watched some highlights from the the last Barton game it looks like Sunday league level stuff a couple of the Barton players looked about 16 stone and no taller than 5'8. Not having a go because its girls it just looked very amateur level to me.

Saying “not having a go” after digging some poor lasses out over their weight doesn’t quite work how you think it does.

This is a group of people - players, coaches, etc - who are proudly representing GTFC and giving opportunities to women where there weren’t any 6 months back. Doing a decent job of it too with 3 wins in 3. Not entirely sure what you were expecting?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
marinerjase
October 8, 2019, 2:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Some strange views/comments on this - I get that the club don’t always do things right - but on this topic not sure what more people want??

Maybe a bit late to the party in terms of getting things looked at a bit more ‘professionally’ than other clubs but process has started now. As Ska says opportunities for local ladies, may take time for things to build and as standard goes up maybe players from further afield introduced - but who’s to say those playing now, growing/learning as a group - can’t improve as they go?

Re crowd pressure/nerves - I’d imagine it is a factor, particularly other week at BP. Decent crowd and a fair bit of pressure given location and coverage, first game in stadium etc etc. It must’ve been a great experience and hopefully one that they learn from, but more importantly enjoyed. And their families and those who support.

Only good things can come of this - improvement, local connection, more participation etc etc. Give them a chance

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
lobsterpot
October 8, 2019, 5:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Madeleymariner

It is very amateur level matey. It's the lowest tier of women's football. That's where they have to start and that's their level as you saw on the highlights. To put things into perspective, Clee Town ladies won this Lincs league last year and now sit bottom of the league above having lost every game. They have had girls/ladies teams at most age groups for the past few years now, all with the aim of getting the youth and prospects into the open age full 1st team and that is how difficult things are for females in the game especially at grass roots level. Town have only just started and have a relatively small squad. I will say that it seems we are the best team at the lowest level tho' and have a very young squad as oppose to old hags just off the school run smerkin' tabs! They are not England ladies but are representing the club very professionally and with a 100% record in league and cup they can't do much more.
If anyone's in Louth on Sunday then take the dog for a stroll down to London Road at 2PM and give them a go UTM

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
GollyGTFC
October 10, 2019, 9:42am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,915
Gold Stars: 343
I see there's an interview with Beth Wharton on the OS with the headline "Meet The Girl Who Scored The First GTFC Hat-Trick".

I appreciate that Beth is only 16 or 17, but it extremely sexist to call her a "girl". I never saw the OS describe Matt Pollock as a "boy" when he played when only 17 years old. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a gender specific term to describe a player from the men's team. It shows a level of unconscious sexism.

And it is also extremely patronising. The story is basically that Beth Wharton managed to score a hat-trick despite only being a girl.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby town ladies

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.