May 14, 2019, 7:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Rhys Wilmot to Palace?

I think we got £85,000 for him. Slightly more than we paid. I'm sure it was on the basis of one really god game he had. Against them at Selhurst.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
golfer
May 14, 2019, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
To be honest if a club (Scunny maybe now with Hurst?) is willing to offer a daft amount for Macca then should we sell up? Would free up a considerable amount of the wage budget if some are to be believed on here.

You will not find a finer shot stopper at this level. But to me there are better all round keepers around, even lower down (AFC Fylde's keeper Lynch looks quality whenever I see him for example). Even the Eastleigh keeper impressed in the playoffs (Reading youngster I believe?).

It's all right having a" better all round keeper"when he's picking the ball out of the net. If we hadn't had Macca last year we would have been relegated.-plenty of his saves were out of this world. He obviously made a few errors like every keeper but he sure made up for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
rancido
May 14, 2019, 7:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
Fair enough, but let me get this straight -[b] Rancido says we won’t get 100K for him even though he’s under contract. If[/b] someone comes in for him, and he wants to leave, if there isn’t someone at the club who can negotiate a six figure sum we are in a sad state.

I said he wasn't worth a six figure sum but that doesn't necessarily mean some club wouldn't pay that if they really wanted him. IMO he is ok for this league but when we get promoted next season (   ) then we will need better in League 1 if we are to remain there.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
Abdul19
May 14, 2019, 7:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think we got £85,000 for him. Slightly more than we paid. I'm sure it was on the basis of one really god game he had. Against them at Selhurst.

Yes, that sounds familiar. Amazing bit of business really!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
chaos33
May 14, 2019, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from rancido

I said he wasn't worth a six figure sum but that doesn't necessarily mean some club wouldn't pay that if they really wanted him. IMO he is ok for this league but when we get promoted next season (   ) then we will need better in League 1 if we are to remain there.

That’s worse! He isn’t worth 100K?!?
I accept that you think that clubs wouldn’t be prepared to pay 100k, but he’s not worth that, in pure terms?
Blimey.

He’s a really good keeper. There isn’t one keeper at any level who’s great at everything, and if you’re looking championship downwards then they’re all flawed.
Under contract and highly valued we name our price.
Call that what you want but if it was me I’d be saying I wanted a min of 250k to release him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
rancido
May 14, 2019, 8:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

That’s worse! He isn’t worth 100K?!?
I accept that you think that clubs wouldn’t be prepared to pay 100k, but he’s not worth that, in pure terms?
Blimey.

He’s a really good keeper. There isn’t one keeper at any level who’s great at everything, and if you’re looking championship downwards then they’re all flawed.
Under contract and highly valued we name our price.
Call that what you want but if it was me I’d be saying I wanted a min of 250k to release him.

Well I think back to when Bignot dropped Macca and he spit his dummy out and put in a transfer request. To the best of my knowledge nobody came in for him and you would have thought that if he was that good then somebody would have. Then when his contract came up for renewal a year ago surely his agent would have got a better deal lined up for him if he was held in such high esteem in League 1 /2 ? Sure, if the chance arose and some team wanted him then ask as much as we can but answer me this - if we needed a keeper at GTFC would you , if it was your decision, pay £250k for him?

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2019, 8:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Well I think back to when Bignot dropped Macca and he spit his dummy out and put in a transfer request. To the best of my knowledge nobody came in for him and you would have thought that if he was that good then somebody would have. Then when his contract came up for renewal a year ago surely his agent would have got a better deal lined up for him if he was held in such high esteem in League 1 /2 ? Sure, if the chance arose and some team wanted him then ask as much as we can but answer me this - if we needed a keeper at GTFC would you , if it was your decision, pay £250k for him?

He did have one. In Scotland (Motherwell?). Reputedly for more money than he's on now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
rancido
May 14, 2019, 8:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He did have one. In Scotland (Motherwell?). Reputedly for more money than he's on now.

Was that confirmed or just one of those Fishy rumours? Were there any English clubs mentioned?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
moosey_club
May 14, 2019, 8:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Owes us nothing n reality....if he goes good luck to him...But as he is under contract then i am sure the club will be able to command a fee for him .
Personally i dont think Hurst would come calling...he had Henderson at Shrewsbury so could now demand more from a keeper having had his eyes opened.  

If he goes hopefully we can source a more adventurous keeper who will leave his line and command the area better than he did ...if he does go then what a performance to go out on...he was superb against Crewe.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2019, 8:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Was that confirmed or just one of those Fishy rumours? Were there any English clubs mentioned?

It wasn't just one of those Fishy rumours. It seemed pretty nailed on at the time and it was touch and go. There was an interview with Macca (I think on one of those fan podcasts) where he talked about the decision making process. I don't know about English clubs but Scottish poonds are worth just as much as your Landern paarns.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Macca

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.