MuddyWaters
April 30, 2019, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

I'm quite happy on this site and I follow it every day. What amazes me is some of the illogical posts, suppositions and hostility towards those posters that don't follow the " general line ".

Of course my original post was " tongue in cheek " and not to be taken too seriously - like many topics and threads on here. But the serious background still exists. Regardless of JF having a hold on the club, the fact remains that a football club with a crumbling stadium, relatively small fan base in a fading industrial  northern town is hardly going to get investors queueing up at BP. It was obvious that when Bournemouth went into administration then the new owners took over a " crock of sh*t " that had obviously been run badly. It's not as if Bournemouths' ground was a modern new stadium with a large capacity either.The fact that the new owner was a multi millionaire prepared to put money into the club and bring in his own way of running the club properly was the deciding factor in their emergence from being rock bottom to where they are now. Now, Lincolnshire may not have as high a percentage of people with that kind of wealth as they do in that part of the country around Bournemouth but even so you would have thought there could be a handful in that position.

I look forward to a future at GTFC when JF has no input or connection with the club but I don't think it's going to be the panacea that a lot of posters on here think it will be.

The Russian owner didn't get involved till 2011 and has only recently taken up full ownership.

That aside, I think you make several valid points but we go back to the fact that the fans of GTFC are now suffering (through budget, facilities etc) the effects of financial commitments and decisions made over a decade ago. This will only be exacerbated by the removal of monies which may have been destined for the playing budget whilst, in the meantime, the club is for sale at a non-sellable (allegedly) price and the prospect of a new stadium remains at arms' length.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
rancido
April 30, 2019, 2:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

It may not be the panacea as you put it, but if we have a proper community club, which values actually the supporters, which is progressive, forward thinking and above all takes its place proudly at the centre of the community I would support it no matter what level it was at.

I will support the club as well regardless and I admire your ideals for what we could have for the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Bigdog
April 30, 2019, 2:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

I'm quite happy on this site and I follow it every day. What amazes me is some of the illogical posts, suppositions and hostility towards those posters that don't follow the " general line ".

Of course my original post was " tongue in cheek " and not to be taken too seriously - like many topics and threads on here. But the serious background still exists. Regardless of JF having a hold on the club, the fact remains that a football club with a crumbling stadium, relatively small fan base in a fading industrial  northern town is hardly going to get investors queueing up at BP. It was obvious that when Bournemouth went into administration then the new owners took over a " crock of sh*t " that had obviously been run badly. It's not as if Bournemouths' ground was a modern new stadium with a large capacity either.The fact that the new owner was a multi millionaire prepared to put money into the club and bring in his own way of running the club properly was the deciding factor in their emergence from being rock bottom to where they are now. Now, Lincolnshire may not have as high a percentage of people with that kind of wealth as they do in that part of the country around Bournemouth but even so you would have thought there could be a handful in that position.

I look forward to a future at GTFC when JF has no input or connection with the club but I don't think it's going to be the panacea that a lot of posters on here think it will be.

From memory, I'm pretty sure there was a step in between when a consortium of three people took the club over first created a bit of momentum and mood change and then after a year or two attracted the Russian millionnaire. It wasn't a lump of Russian cash that initially got the ball rolling...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Malta_Mariner_90
April 30, 2019, 2:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from rancido

I will support the club as well regardless and I admire your ideals for what we could have for the club.

That's the real frustration to me..what could be if the supporters where more united/less disenfranchised.

The latest poll on here sums it up to me. Its OK asking people would they put up money to buy the club. But far more important is what kind of club do we want to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
Abdul19
April 30, 2019, 2:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Bigdog

From memory, I'm pretty sure there was a step in between when a consortium of three people took the club over first created a bit of momentum and mood change and then after a year or two attracted the Russian millionnaire. It wasn't a lump of Russian cash that initially got the ball rolling...

Yes, they'd finished second in League 2 (09/10) then sixth in League 1 (10/11) before he bought half the club in November 2011.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
rancido
April 30, 2019, 2:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The Russian owner didn't get involved till 2011 and has only recently taken up full ownership.

That aside, I think you make several valid points but we go back to the fact that the fans of GTFC are now suffering (through budget, facilities etc) the effects of financial commitments and decisions made over a decade ago. This will only be exacerbated by the removal of monies which may have been destined for the playing budget whilst, in the meantime, the club is for sale at a non-sellable (allegedly) price and the prospect of a new stadium remains at arms' length.

I agree but I don't see where the " non sellable " price comes from as no figures, to my knowledge , have ever been mentioned in the public domain. It is possible that JF wants his full loans back in the event of a sell but it is also possible that he would accept a percentage of that to get the whole matter off his hands. Nobody knows what's going on in the background but unfortunately speculation gets bandied around until it almost become fact. It's like the often quoted figure of 17th in the league for playing budget - where is the basis for that? It's generally held that we had a low playing budget for this past season. Yet apart from JF admitting he didn't allow a big enough budget the exact figures are unknown and just speculated at.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2019, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

I agree but I don't see where the " non sellable " price comes from as no figures, to my knowledge , have ever been mentioned in the public domain. It is possible that JF wants his full loans back in the event of a sell but it is also possible that he would accept a percentage of that to get the whole matter off his hands. Nobody knows what's going on in the background but unfortunately speculation gets bandied around until it almost become fact. It's like the often quoted figure of 17th in the league for playing budget - where is the basis for that? It's generally held that we had a low playing budget for this past season. Yet apart from JF admitting he didn't allow a big enough budget the exact figures are unknown and just speculated at.

I admit that the 'wanting loans back' scenario is speculation but, realistically, we have no assets as the ground is subject to a debenture as I understand.

Regards the playing budget and whatever your opinion, the playing budget would always look better plus 200k rather than minus 200k.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2019, 3:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I admit that the 'wanting loans back' scenario is speculation but, realistically, we have no assets as the ground is subject to a debenture as I understand.

Regards the playing budget and whatever your opinion, the playing budget would always look better plus 200k rather than minus 200k.

Correct.

From Note 13 to the club's financial accounts 2018:

'Mr J S Fenty has provided financil guarantees amounting £325,000. These guarantees together with his loans, are secured by way of a denenture, date 6th July 2007, creating a fixed and floating charge over the companies assets.'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
rancido
April 30, 2019, 4:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Completely agree and I think JF should do more from any profits we make to make the playing budget competitive rather  than getting his " benign loan " back in dribs and drabs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
pen penfras
April 30, 2019, 7:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course that's true, but you still don't know the whole situation. Maybe that budget was higher but the manager didn't spend it all. Maybe the income was higher than expected so there was an unexpected surplus.

That money might have only been repaid at the end of the tax year when the club has made a profit and with no past losses to write off the tax bill, would have to pay tax on it. It makes little sense to pay tax when there's outstanding debt that can be repaid.

There's lots of ways that you can look at these things, but most people jump to the conclusion that Fenty's a shithouse and everything he does is evil and selfish. The reality is that he's only ever tried to do what's right for the club. There are lots of things that can be improved about the way the club is run, but the thought that he's just clawing his money back at the expense of the playing budget doesn't seem likely to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 years ago

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.