4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 29, 2019, 8:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
10 years ago Bournemouth preserved their football league status by beating town 2-1. They had started the season in League 2 on minus 17 points after going into administration. They are now in the Premiersh*t whilst we are still in League 2 and have been non-league for part of that time as well. There is only one person to blame for this difference in football fortunes and that is JF. If only he had let us go into administration , like Bournemouth did,  then we could have risen like a Phoenix from the ashes and be in the Premiersh*t as well. But we are where we are and have to live with it.
What  I just don't understand is why nobody hasn't come in to buy the club when they can see that if Bournemouth can do it then so can we. The population is only 20k more than NE Lincs so plenty of potential fans. We have a tidy bijou ground with lots of potential to fill in the vacant corners for more facilities plus the advantage of new upgraded lights about to be fitted in the summer. I mean the ground alone could be worth £1,000,000 , yes £1,000,000 which is a nice tidy sum. The council is very amenable towards the club and is willing to bend over backwards to help us . We have a core of very loyal fans and any decent businessman worth his salt, if he bothers to look at the statistics of the last two spells we were at Championship, will see that we have the potential to average just under 7,000 fans which is really amazing. With the right marketing that could even rise to 8,000 or maybe 9,000 if we get into the Premiersh*t ( with a little bit of expansion in the seating, of course). It just completely baffles me why nobody out there with the money can't see what a great money spinner we could be.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
louth_in_the_south
April 29, 2019, 8:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Blah blah blah .

You must be very bored to start all this again.

It’s not even funny irony or satire whatever you want to call it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
Rodley Mariner
April 29, 2019, 8:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I remember it well. Their chairman coming on the pitch to be hoisted on shoulders after their win. Sorry my mistake, that was our chairman after we'd lost and stayed up because one of the teams who narrowly finished below us started on -30 points. Glory days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
rancido
April 29, 2019, 8:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Blah blah blah .

You must be very bored to start all this again.

It’s not even funny irony or satire whatever you want to call it

I can't understand what you see wrong with it. The first part about Bournemouth is fact and the second part is what GTFC and NE Lincs has to offer any potential buyers for the club.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
psgmariner
April 29, 2019, 8:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Apparently a film about that very game is being released soon.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
chipsandgravy
April 29, 2019, 8:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from rancido
10 years ago Bournemouth preserved their football league status by beating town 2-1. They had started the season in League 2 on minus 17 points after going into administration. They are now in the Premiersh*t whilst we are still in League 2 and have been non-league for part of that time as well. There is only one person to blame for this difference in football fortunes and that is JF. If only he had let us go into administration , like Bournemouth did,  then we could have risen like a Phoenix from the ashes and be in the Premiersh*t as well. But we are where we are and have to live with it.
What  I just don't understand is why nobody hasn't come in to buy the club when they can see that if Bournemouth can do it then so can we. The population is only 20k more than NE Lincs so plenty of potential fans. We have a tidy bijou ground with lots of potential to fill in the vacant corners for more facilities plus the advantage of new upgraded lights about to be fitted in the summer. I mean the ground alone could be worth £1,000,000 , yes £1,000,000 which is a nice tidy sum. The council is very amenable towards the club and is willing to bend over backwards to help us . We have a core of very loyal fans and any decent businessman worth his salt, if he bothers to look at the statistics of the last two spells we were at Championship, will see that we have the potential to average just under 7,000 fans which is really amazing. With the right marketing that could even rise to 8,000 or maybe 9,000 if we get into the Premiersh*t ( with a little bit of expansion in the seating, of course). It just completely baffles me why nobody out there with the money can't see what a great money spinner we could be.

Think I care for the club as much as the next man but is this me or is this getting all rather boring!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
MuddyWaters
April 29, 2019, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

I can't understand what you see wrong with it. The first part about Bournemouth is fact and the second part is what GTFC and NE Lincs has to offer any potential buyers for the club.

Your attempt at irony only underlines how sad the situation is.

Thankfully for Bournemouth, they had some foresight and a plan. We...rather our chairman decided to create a stack of debt/loan which has us completely hamstrung. He also installed a boardroom full of nodding donkeys to approve his dealings and a development company to try and deflect the stadium project away from himself. Our decrepit ground means we have no equity, our squad is depleted and our budget increasingly uncompetitive. As a consequence, we end up with management with either no future or no track record and players of the same ilk. Not an exciting prospect, is It?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
rancido
April 29, 2019, 8:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Think I care for the club as much as the next man but is this me or is this getting all rather boring!

And there is me thinking a message board was for expressing views on football related matters , and specifically GTFC, related matters.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
louth_in_the_south
April 29, 2019, 8:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
The rise of Bournemouth has more to do with a Russian billionaire who lives on Sandbanks than JFs shortcomings .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
mimma
April 29, 2019, 8:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Bournemouth found what we can't, a rich backer to bankroll them.

If you know of any Russian billionaires interested in buy a lowly football team that hasn't had any investment but has a very loyal fanbase please let Mr. Fenty know.

This sort of thing is getting rather tediuos now. Everyone thinks it can change but without that magic ingredient money we are stuck with it as it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 years ago

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.